What knife were you surprised by how much you liked this year?

This Marbles MR431 3.75 inch closed D2 with black Canvas Micarta covers sowbelly stockman won my "Surprise Of The Year" award.

I've always carried a 3.875 to 4.625 inch closed stockman from call it "April 06, 1962" when I received my first stockman for my 7th birthday, until I bought the MR431 sowbelly in October 2020, after seeing a review for it on YouTube.

The sowbelly doesn't feel too small in hand, and the blades don't look flimsy/delicate, like those on a Buck 303 or Schrade/Old Timer 34ot 3.625 inch class do when in use. (Yes, I am aware they are not weak/delicate/flimsy. They just look and feel that way to me.)

View attachment 1483690

I just might "have" to get a couple more. Marbles has a nice looking one with real Rams Horn covers ... Rough Ryder a nice Stag or Bone Stag ....
(I can't afford the offerings by Case, Bear and Sons, new or old Queen/Queen City)

Last edited:
Para 3 lightweight was surprising since I didn't care for the g10 version.

Also got a Monterey Bay knives old guard in carbon fiber. This wasn't even.in my radar, got it on a trade.

Para 3 Spy27 lightweight. Really impressed.

Civivi McKenna Damascus as well.

Just wanted to add, I've carried the pm3 for 5 days. I feel it (the lightweight at least) is more skin to being the big brother of the dragonfly rather than the little bro of the PM2. I actually prefer it to my customized PM2. Maybe it's just I'm impressed with Spy27.

Definitely this Norseman. I never thought I’d own one or care for it if I did. I got this one for a really good price (for a Norseman) so I decided to try it. I’ve really enjoyed carrying and using it.

001(3).jpg

001(14).jpg

What version Genie did you get. I tried the titanium one and while it was beautiful, amazing for and finish and scary sharp I couldn't really use the hole in the blade for deployment and I only really got it for fidgeting...

As for my biggest knife surprise this year it would have to be my Maxemet Para 3.

AfgBMAb.jpg

Recyled photo

I always said spyderco knives were ugly and I never got it. But I picked this one up on a whim and I can't stop carrying it. It is now the knife that I compare every other knife to when searching for something else or looking at my own collection.

...that blade is very nicely ground...they are not all like that...

...I sent my first Spyderco knife back because of a poor grind...

...as noted in my first post the first Spyderco I have kept and used has been a pleasant surprise...I don't know why I never tried one before...

...this is a comment on the design not the steel...the Maxamet steel was a bit surprising in how susceptible to corrosion it is...

...that blade is very nicely ground...they are not all like that...

...I sent my first Spyderco knife back because of a poor grind...

...as noted in my first post the first Spyderco I have kept and used has been a pleasant surprise...I don't know why I never tried one before...

...this is a comment on the design not the steel...the Maxamet steel was a bit surprising in how susceptible to corrosion it is...
Yes this knife came with a very nice factory grind. I've heard issues with them before so I was pleased to see it like this. I have had no issues with corrosion. Yes the blade has patina because I have used it for food prep but I have had zero rust issues. I use no oil or protective on it and have had it at the beach several times. Even 1095 has never been an issue for me but I also don't let my knives sit around wet or dirty.

Buck 842. After I ordered this I wondered why. Liner locks aren't my favorite and flippers had never been on my radar. Thumb studs or holes worked just fine for one handed opening and didn't have the flipper nub sticking out spoiling the lines of the knife. Definitely some minor buyer's remorse. Then it arrived. I love this thing Rabia.gif
The handle shape and the micarta feels good in hand. It carries well. It locks tight and solid. And the flipper. Oh boy does this thing flip open easy and smooth nod.gif This is definitely the knife that surprised me the most with how much I like it.

It also cuts stuff w00t.gif
842belt1.JPG 842BOTM-7.JPG 842BOTM-5.JPG

Picked up a Hinderer skinny sheepsfoot and it made my ZT 0562CF feel like a toy. Had me feeling like I should sell what I don't use to get another skinny version.

I live in the woods and mountains in Brown County ,so i'm a fixed blade junkie. Mainly because I actually end up needing one almost daily. But I recently ended up with a troodon somebody else wanted and didn't pay for as well as a smaller microtech d/e and i've been amazed that i'm more inclined to reach for the OTF on my boot than my usual 6.5 inch EDC on my hip. I don't even like the steel, it's M390, but it dulls easy and it's hard as hell to sharpen. but man is that thing handy and the working edge is almost elmax-like. You could cut yourself on it dull. then you have partial serrations. Haven't used the troodon, not sure I see myself using it

A couple of knives for me that became favorites would be:

- The GEC Beer & Sausage Knife. I ended up purchasing this knife in all three covers, and have found it to be an excellent carry option for weekends when I'm out brewery hopping with my wife and friends. The included beard comb doesn't hurt either!! A lot of folks on the Porch panned this knife as ridiculous or too silly. Heh, then they dropped and absolutely blew up, and all the negativity went away for the most part. These were the best Great Eastern knife of 2020 for me, especially since the follow on run of #35s they did for Maher & Grosh (got all those as well!) were also fantastic.

- The TRM Atom. I ended up with one of these from my good friend The Aflac Duck The Aflac Duck in the final week or so of 2020, and even though I haven't owned it long, it is such an excellent EDC knife that there have been several days where it's made it into my pocket even though I'd already pocketed another large folder. It was a surprise because I wasn't sure how a knife that slim and light would fare, given that I like large modern folders or slipjoints primarily. I'm happy to say it's a tremendous knife, and worth the money entirely. It would be hard to part with.

I read a lot of complaints about the Scarab II being “too thicc” but I still went ahead and bought one anyways (I’m a MT fanboy) despite what people were saying. I was expecting a pocket brick, something so massive I may need a new belt, perhaps suspenders. What I got was a nice handful of knife that isn’t too big at all. In fact, the size is perfect for me. I’m a fan of blades in the 4” range and the Scarab II has that all covered. Took me by surprise.

OVvKb6q.jpg

I picked up a Broken Skull and it is one of those knives that just feels “right.” Great balance with the long skinny blade and light liner less handles, the thumb-stud to pivot relationship is perfect for thumbing it open, and the Triad lock feels super solid. Ground to a very thin and sharp edge. Time will tell how it holds up and I’ve only had it maybe a month but so far it’s been great.

Delica Wharncliffe has been in my pocket since I got it in the summer. Along with a traditional of some kind.

Back