What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Well...at least a camp knife has the term “knife” in the name (as opposed to chopper). Big knives are fun, but the least used blade you will probably ever own (at least for non-Canadian, non-trail building suburbanites). I welcome the return of actual knife production to the fine jaws of the Mori. :p :)
It's chewing on some FK2 now

the camp knife has a more minimally sized handle than CPK's choppers that's contoured to give a very secure grip, at the expense of possibly causing blisters with extended chopping, (there is no forward lanyard hole in part cus of this, although the pattern can accommodate a forward lanyard if one wishes).

when out 'in the camp', safety is your number 1 concern, so this knife will not leave your hand by accident. The handle is sized and shaped to stay out of the way when it's on your belt, and not rub away at your nice goretex jacket, as it's nice and smooth. You maintain a good grip via shaping and contouring, as opposed to texturing

it's a big knife that can be used in all sorts of practical ways, but it will not replace a small knife for those used to using a small knife. That being said, there is a forward position similar to the HDFK for less brutal work

this knife is designed for the outdoorsman who values a large, easy to carry knife, who knows the value of an axe and small blades. A knife this size allows one to carry a smaller and lighter axe, since it's long and thick enough to safely and efficiently split wood, (batoning). As such, there will be more material behind the edge, which not only provides a more durable work area, but also the ability for the user to adjust the edge to their taste, (ie; convexing the shoulder)

Last edited:
the camp knife has a more minimally sized handle than CPK's choppers that's contoured to give a very secure grip, at the expense of possibly causing blisters with extended chopping, (there is no forward lanyard hole in part cus of this, although the pattern can accommodate a forward lanyard if one wishes).

when out 'in the camp', safety is your number 1 concern, so this knife will not leave your hand by accident. The handle is sized and shaped to stay out of the way when it's on your belt, and not rub away at your nice goretex jacket, as it's nice and smooth. You maintain a good grip via shaping and contouring, as opposed to texturing

it's a big knife that can be used in all sorts of practical ways, but it will not replace a small knife for those used to using a small knife. That being said, there is a forward position similar to the HDFK for less brutal work

this knife is designed for the outdoorsman who values a large, easy to carry knife, who knows the value of an axe and small blades. A knife this size allows one to carry a smaller axe, since it's long and thick enough to safely and efficiently split wood, (batoning). As such, there will be more material behind the edge, which not only provides a more durable work area, but also the ability for the user to adjust the edge to their taste, (ie; convexing the shoulder)

I’m excited for this!!
I like the idea behind the handle.

and here it is, (prior to final handle shaping);
Gc63hs2.jpg

take a note that this pattern is not yet on the schedule, so don't get worked up and bug Nate about it, m'kay?

I would love to see something like this modern bowie built with your craftsmanship in delta 3V. Just cant find the right balance of fit, finish and materials in the market. I'd certainly be willing to pay for it. A rough finish, which is just character to me! Bark River Knives | MACV-SOG Bowie 3V is close but its still not quite there. This is the balance of a fighting knife a camping knife and a survival knife in one package. The one knife you carry back country into the unknown with full confidence you are prepared. I wouldnt complain about a light axe compliment either. My current back country carry is a Husqvarna MultiPurpose Axe a Carothers UTFK (only cause i couldnt score a HDFK) and a Kershaw 1812 M390 folder.
timthumb.php

71OgxogHMVL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

^^ I second this and I will quote myself... again. >>

Day dreaming of A CPK bird and trout in AEB-L OAL: 5 7/8 to 6" blade length just under 3 inches

Or even a scaled down d2 skinner in AEB-L would work too..

or Nathan's original spec'd skinner in AEB-L ...

or hell with it I'll just take a run of the mill CPK D2 skinner?? :p Can I get a proxy? Nathan.... can you get me one?

and here it is, (prior to final handle shaping);
Gc63hs2.jpg

take a note that this pattern is not yet on the schedule, so don't get worked up and bug Nate about it, m'kay?

I like the little reverse tanto tipped EDC looking thing up there. That Exacto camp spork tool is kinda cool too.

Now the real question is...is that a Tsuba on the graph paper??

FWIW, I think AEB-L and Skinner would be a bad match. The D2 edge retention would the main selling point on a skinner for me, and AEB-L has so thoroughly underwhelmed me, I doubt I'll ever buy another knife in that steel. I understand stainless would be a draw for some, but why not go with Elmax if that's the case? (to choose from the CPK steel menu)

The suggestion of AEB-L came solely from a fisherman's perspective. Low maintenance, easy to touch up out on a week long fishing trip, decent corrosion protection in a wet environment and little fear of accidentally clacking the edge on a rock when gutting your fish.

I agree with every aspect of d2 in their skinner. And now after having used CPK's D2 I'd take it over anything else in a smallish knife this size be it a skinner, trout knife or daily fixed carry . I say bring on the D2 skinners!!

The suggestion of AEB-L came solely from a fisherman's perspective. Low maintenance, easy to touch up out on a week long fishing trip, decent corrosion protection in a wet environment and little fear of accidentally clacking the edge on a rock when gutting your fish.

That makes perfect sense Renato, and I should have added I didn't mean to direct that at you brother. I just haven't had a favorable impression of AEB-L from a few customs I've tried in it. Also should add, none are from Nathan.

I have gone from really disliking it to maybe tolerating it since trying a suggestion to run a toothier edge on it. That does seem to help. And then there have been some decent edge retention results shown with a super thin edge. But I think that would apply to a lot of steels.

No worries Mark. This was purely discussion and welcomed. That's what these forums are for. Too be honest, I was being selfish when I was day dreaming about that knife in aeb-l. It'd be very specific to that task and probably wouldn't get used for anything else much.

The d2 on the other hand can and will rip apart fish cleanly, eat up 100's of my wife's amazon boxes and still skin a critter at the end of the day. I'd much rather have that in my hand. ;)

Back