What knives are illegal in the US?

Are switchblades, balisongs, and butterfly knives are illegal to carry in USA? Dirks, metal knuckles, daggers, and similar blades are illegal. Is it true & why?

Last edited:
knife-law-knifeup

That image above is incorrect, at least in regard to Pennsylvania. Switchblades ARE NOT illegal to own here, you simply cannot carry one outside of your home. There also is no limit to what blade size you want to carry. Espada XL is good to go. The Maryland stat is incorrect as well.

Not sure I would trust that picture, do the safe thing and research yourself if you aren't sure.

florida cant be true as its stated in that picture....there is case law for 4" or under folding knife concealed as not being a weapon. counts as a pocket knife under florida state law. not as a weapon. also a ccw permit includes knives as weapons in florida law. so goes to county and city rules......since only firearms are state laws only ruling. they didn't include other weapons under the permit as only state laws.

now Miami city laws id bet that 3" nonsense is true.....remember state laws don't matter in counties or cities with their own weapon or knife ordinances, unless the state has passed a law to have all knives or weapons as state law only...no variances from it.

Are switchblades, balisongs, and butterfly knives are illegal to carry in USA? Dirks, metal knuckles, daggers, and similar blades are illegal. Is it true & why?
Strictly speaking all knives are legal in the USA. We have no national laws applicable to 100% of the country which make any knife illegal to own or carry.

But course this statement comes with important caveats:
1. There are national laws that restrict foreign importation and certain sales of switchblades and ballistics knives. They are poorly enforced, but exist.
2. Each of the USA's states and territoritories or other lands can have their own restrictions on knives. Individual counties and cities also can. These vary through the country to great extremes, and there is no real pattern or logic to them. They vary from literally zero restrictions on carry or ownership, to extremely oppressive restrictions on all sharp objects. They vary so much that almost any kind of generalization is hard to make.

"....Laws are interpreted differently by enforcement officers, prosecuting attorneys, and judges. AKTI suggests that you consult legal counsel for guidance...."
legal status can and will change.
personal doubts about legalities concerning ownership.and carry. is a certainty for all time... :)

Last edited:
I don’t know where this came from but. This picture and information is incorrect. In Kansas the only illegal blades are throwing stars and projectile blades. It is legal to open or conceal carry and other knife, no limit . Kansas is a constitutional carry state for knives and guns. The only exceptions are of course the court house jails and other obvious restricted areas.

That Switchblade graphic needs an update. For example, CT has a limit of 1.5" for switchblades, which (in practice) means that they're illegal to carry.
That thing is not only out-of-date, it’s also flat out wrong on states like Iowa, North Carolina, and Idaho. Autos were never illegal in any of those places far as I know. NC does have restrictions on concealed carry however.

florida cant be true as its stated in that picture....there is case law for 4" or under folding knife concealed as not being a weapon. counts as a pocket knife under florida state law. not as a weapon. also a ccw permit includes knives as weapons in florida law. so goes to county and city rules......since only firearms are state laws only ruling. they didn't include other weapons under the permit as only state laws.

now Miami city laws id bet that 3" nonsense is true.....remember state laws don't matter in counties or cities with their own weapon or knife ordinances, unless the state has passed a law to have all knives or weapons as state law only...no variances from it.
^^^^This is a correct answer the law clearly says 4 in Blade. I've carried knives in Miami for a long time. But I never carried anything bigger than a 4-in blade for this reason. And never had a problem. Just stay 4 in and under and you shouldn't have a problem. There's also case law where a woman had a folding knife open in her pocketbook. She got convicted only because it was open in her pocketbook. Florida is one of them States that are hard to figure. The law also says an ordinary pocket knife. Be careful down south in Florida this is not legal advice this is only going on my own experiences. Addendum look at Florida statute 790 point something you'll have to look for it

Last edited:
That image above is incorrect, at least in regard to Pennsylvania. Switchblades ARE NOT illegal to own here, you simply cannot carry one outside of your home. There also is no limit to what blade size you want to carry. Espada XL is good to go. The Maryland stat is incorrect as well.

Not sure I would trust that picture, do the safe thing and research yourself if you aren't sure.
The graph doesn't make the distinction between “leaving the house” or not… so how is it “incorrect”?

Back