What Knives under $20 Exceeded Your Expectations?

What knife, obtainable at under $20, came out of the box and became an instant favorite? Of course, Moras and Opinel knives are the obvious picks, but what others? Someone posted a similar question in March, but I'm adding in the "budget knife" qualification.

Last edited:
Marttiini Bowie & Marttiini Skinner.
Normark fishing (filleting) Knife.
A.G. Russell Hunters Scalpel in AUS10.
A.G. Russell Woodswalker.

Victorinox SAKs immediately come to mind. They have a level of fit and finish that puts some knives that cost ten times as much to shame.

Victorinox SAKs immediately come to mind. They have a level of fit and finish that puts some knives that cost ten times as much to shame.
Almost word for word what came to my mind when I saw the headline. You can pick up a bunch for $20 on eBay if you bid carefully. It's a bit hit and miss, but a lot more hit than miss.

for some reason I've carried a prejudice against them. What kind of steel do they have? Do any of their models carry all the tools and have a locking blade?

Bought some Schrade closeouts when the company went bankrupt in '04. Many of their knives were junky and cheap, but amazingly a couple of the lowest-priced products were very well fit, including a $1.49 peanut and a couple of $1.99 camp knives.

Bought a pile of closeout Wenger SAKs a year or longer ago. Prices were $1.99 - ~$7.00, and not a lemon in the entire bunch.

Count me in on the Hunters Scalpel and Woodswalker. Been using my Hunters Scalpel for five years around the drill rigs, and it hasn't ever disappointed.

for some reason I've carried a prejudice against them. What kind of steel do they have? Do any of their models carry all the tools and have a locking blade?

Here is a word on the steel from the Victorinox website:

Q. What is the make up of the steel?
A. All Victorinox knives are high carbon, stainless, first grade, A-quality stainless steel, x 50 CrMo. They are tempered to a 55-56 HRC hardness for optimum edge retention. -SA

My personal opinion of it is that while it is no super steel, Victorinox has been working with it for ages and knows how to get every ounce of performance from it. It will serve you well.

The Workchamp, Workchamp Xl and Hercules are your toolbox lock blades.

Almost word for word what came to my mind when I saw the headline. You can pick up a bunch for $20 on eBay if you bid carefully. It's a bit hit and miss, but a lot more hit than miss.

If you do get a miss, Victorinox will repair or replace it under warranty.

You missed the Mora knives. Over in Sweden they cost 5 bucks and are as good as knives for 100 bucks.
They are also so cheap that you throw them away when you they get dull.

Boker "Magnum" series

Vic SAK's

Roughrider slipjoints

That's all I can think of right now.

Mora
Marttiini
Some Cold Steels
China Bucks
Saks
Rough Rider
Case Sod Buster
Leatherman Kick

You have to check out a DOUK-DOUK. Awesome carbon steel with great blade geometry, tough as nails and a little exotic looking to boot. Do it!

Opinels, SAK' s, Byrds, Kershaw Vapor, Moras(!), Case Sodbuster, Rough Rider would come to my mind right now.

I can only agree with the other posters here. I might add Outdoor edge.

Back