What Knives under $20 Exceeded Your Expectations?

symphonyincminor

Speaking of a Leatherman Micra, a couple of years ago, I got mine in the TRASH outside the US Capitol where you have to wait for tours - I guess someone didn't want to bring it though the metal detector. You gotta believe I was inspecting all the nearby cans for more loot.

Buck makes some decent $15-$20 folders.The Manix has got a framelock & Buck's 420HC.

what's wrong with the Smith and Wesson knifes? Asides from a slightly dodgey liner lock, the fit and finish on my S&W is pretty impressive for the price/size ratio.

I've heard some less than good things about S&W and Taylor Cutlery in general around here... I'm not familiar with their background. I wonder if someone could point me in a direction for this? It would be appreciated

Also, I took a look at those Opinels... I need to find where to get one of those! They are nice looking!

i got a cheapo butterfly knife, 'bout 16 dollars and i expected it to come pretty dull but i was surprised that when i pulled it out it could cut water bottles Clean in two and slice paper just as easily as any of my benchmades i cant take it out of the house for legal purposes but i was quite happy with it

Byrd Cara Cara is starting for 18 bucks in Ebay. It's my user and I absolutely trust it...

Also, I took a look at those Opinels... I need to find where to get one of those! They are nice looking!
They're all over the Internet, but if you don't feel like ordering, Williams-Sonoma at Southpoint Mall should have the No. 8.

Case Yellow Soddie Jr CV steel :thumbup:
Buck Nobleman :thumbup:
both had for 19 bucks each... Case for me Buck for my son...
The nobleman is a fine knife, F&F is every bit as nice as My Alpha Dorado which cost 3x more:eek:
Cant say enough good things about the Soddie, i will yammer about that knife till they put me in the ground or they boot me off here:D
ivan

Rough Rider and Byrd are the best values on the market, IMO.

Rough Rider knives have amazing quality when you consider the ridiculously cheap price.
The Chinese are really starting to get their act together. I find Rough Rider knives to be roughly equivalent to Case- at 1/10th the cost.

Do I appreciate US manufacturing? Yes, I do. Do I appreciate it enough to pay 10 times more for basically the same thing? Hmm.

(Edit)- one more thing- I have a strong suspicion that the Chinese Marbles and the Rough Rider knives are one and the same, just with different branding. Looking at the Marbles "lady leg" knife and my Rough Rider version of the same pattern- they are identical, except for the markings.

Last edited:
I ordered two Vic 'Farmer' SAKs, a red and a silver, for ~$30 with free s/h off Amaze-on last winter. I have loads of SAKs - but this is a neat model for $15 - heck, for $35, it aint bad! No toothpick or tweezers, however.

Another great 'deal' - after Christmas '05 & '07 Buck 110s in 'Collector's Tins' for $11 - $18 at WallyWorld. Super!

Stainz

I buy mine from www.bladeplay.com. I know they are a cheap asian copy of a Lone Wolf style Dual Action knife but the fact is, they work pretty darned good and for $12 shipped ($16 for tacticool version as seen in picture) you can't deny having a few is not a good idea. I have ten of these in various colors and use them for my fly fishing vest, my back packs, one in my car, a spare in my bail out bag, etc.

gfactorblacktacticalfront.jpg

http://www.bladeplay.com/cat--All-Items--1--1--search=g+factor

Here is a video on how they work:

http://www.bladeplay.com/videos/gfactor.wmv

Last edited:
They're all over the Internet, but if you don't feel like ordering, Williams-Sonoma at Southpoint Mall should have the No. 8.
I just ordered my first Opinel. It's a #7. I think that is the "traditional" size. Is it? I had to order some other stuff and had been curious about them for years. So, I figured why not... now is as good as any time to try one out. For $10 it's pretty hard to be disappointed with a knife with this type of reputation and history behind it.

I got an Opinel from a buddy for 5$ and it was the longest wickedest looking blade I have ever seen,it is a #9. The blade needs a bit of work but it is a very nice knife if a trifle scary looking.

I have a CarbonV CS prothrower and with a bit of edge work a rainwalker kydex sheath and a better strider style wrap it is a fantastic knife. Unfortunatly the new ones are made of 1050.

I also have a Buck Odyssey in 420HC ,I snapped the tip off(my fault prying ,with it)but ground it back and it has worked well as a truck knife for years.

The little chinese Buck slippies are great.

I feel like I'm cheating by using an on sale item from SMKW, but I've always been impressed by my Berretta G-10 Busfield I paid $19.99 for before shipping!

Bought a Meyerco Blackie Collins design for $10 in a bargin bin and liked it so much I went back and bought the other one they had. Even though Chinese made the grinds were even, it is tight and had G-10 handles. Figured I couldn't lose for $10 - if I lost it oh well.......

If you don't have one, it's about the best $10 you will spend.

Kuhn Rikon Colori - available in pretty much every color. Carbon blade I believe. Awesome knife. Designed for kitchen use but just like a Mora IMO.

469x279_1211211954utility2865.jpg

Back