What light is in your EDC?

I'm the op and I've switched up to a princeton tec tec1 for primary.great super lightweight light. I had to cripple the body some but that's no biggie. It seems like there are not many all USA made light companies left.

I'm the op and I've switched up to a princeton tec tec1 for primary.great super lightweight light. I had to cripple the body some but that's no biggie. It seems like there are not many all USA made light companies left.
Not sure what you are looking for but here's some of my favorite USA lights.
Peak Eigers AAAs, 10180 and 10280 but they make larger sizes in different metals.
PrbOEEbl.jpg

Malkoff AA a real tank.
jNhfgMbl.jpg

McGizmo Sapphire for a lower level backup or keychain light.
VTRkTSi.jpg

As for me, EDC means 'always on my person when as I have my pants on' I now carry an OLight i3E EOS mini AAA flashlight. No frills, just on/off, 90 lumens so just bright enough to be really useful, rotating on/off switch that is not too loose. Keychain size, you hardly notice it in a pocket. If you need spare power, carrying an extra AAA cell is easy, and replament cells can be found almost everywhere. I don't need to blind the international space station with a millon lumens, I just need to find stuff in dark corners and avoid breaking my neck coming down stairs if there is no light. ;-)

IMO nothing beats an Oveready BOSS. Advanced interphase and programability, very high output, the ability to use 2 cells, customer service and is so easy to carry that you don't feel it's there.

40893194793_6d2742bda8_z.jpg

I've been auditioning lights to ride in the little side pocket of my shorts this summer, and the Rovyvon Aurora A8 is the latest contender.

It's designed as a keychain light, but it has a rather good little clip and it's vanishingly light and -- more importantly -- narrow. Great CRI, good moonlight, and a surprising 350 lumens on high in this form factor is pretty incredible -- plus the side-lights (steady amber is on in the photo) are really cool.

KLBBBnk.jpg

Nothing too fancy yet. I have a few. A Fenix TAC35, a Surefire Defender, a bunch of Olights, an Eagtac D35, a Promethus, a Nebo iPal, a Reylight Triple Dawn, and a MechForce MechTorch. I also just picked up a MecArmy PS16 with some custom hardware by EDCApparatus and a new Ti (Winter) S1R II Baton
U9JSUyO.jpg

8IDXYy7.jpg

1eupvq8.jpg

lFzT2by.jpg

drw81s3.jpg

Last edited:
This pair as I'm into low lumens with extreme efficiency, runtime, and battery versatility. With a piece of tinfoil and/or paperclip (in my wallet) the larger will run on any single cell battery, and the smaller on any alkaline.

47936789901_d829d5ef2b_k.jpg

I also have HDS/Malkoff/Peak/Zebralight/etc. but they don't make the cut for my priorities.

During summer I only carry keychain sized flashlights.

ztXsScf.jpg

My latest: this little Fenix UC02SS. Very pretty stainless light with impressive fit and finish. Rechargeable. I love it!

Last edited:
I was carrying a Maratac AAA, but if I wasn't wearing a shirt with a pocket, I'd put it in my pants pocket. Poor thing went through the wash half a dozen times because I'd miss it when loading the washer. (It did survive that and I still use it, but it is no longer carried every day.)

I've switched to a Nitecore Tube. I put an S clip on it and clip one end to a belt loop and put the light itself in my watch pocket. I mostly use the 1 lumen setting. I walk in the park at night and my favorite path is poorly lit and unpaved. 1 lumen is enough to show the rocks while still leaving me my night vision.

As with my knives, I don't carry a light for self defense so the fact that it's max output is 45 Lumens is not an issue to me. 45 Lumens is bright enough for me to get a good look at something if I need to. I'm much more interested in how long a charge or battery lasts than in how bright the thing is.

update:
Found problems with the Nitecore Tube turning on in my pocket, even with the lock engaged.
Switched to a lumentop Tool aa 2.0 using AA batteries. Really like the size. And like the tail switch. Did not care for the memory switch that remembered the last intensity used. and started there next time. Carried that for about 4 months.

That was fine until one night when I found myself wanting more light. (I live on the edge of a canyon. Something was in the bushes in the yard and I wanted to know whether it was a possum or a skunk. Couldn't tell with the lumentop on AA turbo. That night I decided it was not urgent that I find out, and backed off.)

So I switched to a 14500 battery. That gave plenty of light on turbo, but the lowest output on the lumentop became 18 lumens, which higher than I really wanted for a lot of my uses.

I looked around. Wanted
♦ tail switch
♦ always start on low
♦ 500+ lumens on high or turbo
♦ very low lumens on low.
♦ programmable not a deal killer, but not desirable. At my age, simple is good.

Ended up buying a Sofirn SF14 V2.0
On a 14500 it meets all my parameters. 5-110-550 lumens. It's noticeably larger than the lumentop in my pocket though. It's a recent acquisition. We'll see how it does.

update:
Found problems with the Nitecore Tube turning on in my pocket, even with the lock engaged.
Switched to a lumentop Tool aa 2.0 using AA batteries. Really like the size. And like the tail switch. Did not care for the memory switch that remembered the last intensity used. and started there next time. Carried that for about 4 months.

That was fine until one night when I found myself wanting more light. (I live on the edge of a canyon. Something was in the bushes in the yard and I wanted to know whether it was a possum or a skunk. Couldn't tell with the lumentop on AA turbo. That night I decided it was not urgent that I find out, and backed off.)

So I switched to a 14500 battery. That gave plenty of light on turbo, but the lowest output on the lumentop became 18 lumens, which higher than I really wanted for a lot of my uses.

I looked around. Wanted
♦ tail switch
♦ always start on low
♦ 500+ lumens on high or turbo
♦ very low lumens on low.
♦ programmable not a deal killer, but not desirable. At my age, simple is good.

Ended up buying a Sofirn SF14 V2.0
On a 14500 it meets all my parameters. 5-110-550 lumens. It's noticeably larger than the lumentop in my pocket though. It's a recent acquisition. We'll see how it does.

One that may fit that bill is the Lumintop 007 Torpedo. Fairly compact (single CR123A or RCR123A), tail switch, starts on low, 0.5-15-100-520/320. If ordered from Ali/Gearbest, can get Tritium in tail switch.

The only real downside is that it's kind of slippery. Plenty of easy fixes for that though, with anything from grip tape to a couple rubber bands.

Currently its 1 of these depending on where Im going and what time it is.

Amazing lights. FourSeven's Quark and Olight i3t eos.

Last edited:
Picked up a 920 Lumens Nitecore at Blade (with multiple lower settings) (~$40). Will use it a bit and decide if I like it, but I got it to carry in my daypack hiking or woods bumming.

I have been carrying a NEBO Edge 50 (50 lumens) for a long time, it uses a single AA battery and has never let me down. Last Christmas I acquired two of the NEBO Edge 90 (90 lumens) and gave one to the Mrs.. They are the same physical size and use the same AA battery. The old Edge 50 is usually in my pocket everyday along with my Schrade Stockman, both being proven performers.

I have been carrying a NEBO Edge 50 (50 lumens) for a long time, it uses a single AA battery and has never let me down. Last Christmas I acquired two of the NEBO Edge 90 (90 lumens) and gave one to the Mrs.. They are the same physical size and use the same AA battery. The old Edge 50 is usually in my pocket everyday along with my Schrade Stockman, both being proven performers.

Wow. Surprised they're still working. There are a lot of AAA lights out there for $20 that put out 120-180 or so lumens if you ever want to upgrade. Olight, Thrunite, etc. Then once you move to AA you're looking at 200++ lumens. And of course higher and higher once you move to CR123a. That Olight i3t EOS I posted is amazing though, 1 AAA battery and $20 gets you 180 lumens and a clicky push cap. Its an amazing light. I just can't trust NEBO. They always break for no reason it seems.

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-I3T-EOS-Lumens-Dual-Output/dp/B07DLRK7Q5

Wow. Surprised they're still working. There are a lot of AAA lights out there for $20 that put out 120-180 or so lumens if you ever want to upgrade. Olight, Thrunite, etc. Then once you move to AA you're looking at 200++ lumens. And of course higher and higher once you move to CR123a. That Olight i3t EOS I posted is amazing though, 1 AAA battery and $20 gets you 180 lumens and a clicky push cap. Its an amazing light. I just can't trust NEBO. They always break for no reason it seems.

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-I3T-EOS-Lumens-Dual-Output/dp/B07DLRK7Q5
Good Morning!
I must confess, that old saying that I would rather be lucky than good, appears to be holding with my rather limited experience in the new world of flashlight technology and I am afraid I have not been keeping up. So far, the NEBOs have been flawless, but, that does not mean they will remain that way. With few exceptions I am not married to the equipment I have around here and am open to suggestions for better, more reliable products that are out there ... reliable being the key word. I also have a Streamlight ProTac HL that uses the ever popular 123 series batteries that has been a reliable performer as well ... so far, although I find it a little large to drop in my pocket daily. I appreciate the link, I had not heard of Olight before and will look into it. I have been noticing the aging process of late and vision is where I notice it the most as I seem to need more light on things and the 50 lumens on the NEBO EDGE 50 becomes very marginal in effectiveness when in a shaded area with a bright background and added illumination is required. A year ago the eye Dr. told me I have cataracts ... but, they are not ripe yet ... I just pray she doesn't use a corn picker when it is time to harvest.

A year ago the eye Dr. told me I have cataracts ... but, they are not ripe yet ... I just pray she doesn't use a corn picker when it is time to harvest.

Been there. Done that.
Got to the point where even with glasses, everything was fuzzy.
I now have plastic lenses in my eyes. Made a huge difference for me.
The technology is really good these days. I have Kaiser. The doc told me they had done about 30,000 since the last time anyone had had a complication. After me they had 30,001 with no problems.

full

No need to get fancy for me. Simple Milwaukee pen light. Runs on 2 AAA batteries, and it's only $20 retail, so if you lose it, just get another one. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. Works just fine for me being a mechanic.

Now that it's back to jeans weather here, the Emisar D4V2 is my go-to light. It's maybe ever so slightly too chunky at the head to be perfect, but I'll gladly trade that for the aux LEDs, wonderful UI, and high-CRI goodness it provides. :D

wStIucY.jpg

Back