What light is in your EDC?

I Always have a Mini Maglite on my belt, sure there are better and brighter lights but for $9 these things are durable. I bought 2, so I’d have a backup but havn’t needed it. Last year while duck hunting i found one in a wet ditch that still turned on so now I have 3.

Had a few small ones. I lost my trusty, if mediocre, Fenix LD02. I now have a copper Olight I3E EOS I keep on a bright green neck lanyard sorta thing. Thinking about getting another, albeit better, small light to keep I'm my medicine bag. I've looked at the Maratac AAA extreme, which is a little rich for my blood, but have heard good things. The nitecore tip and tini are neat, not sure about the rechargable aspect.

Ideas? Suggestions?

phL84Ic.jpg

Had a few small ones. I lost my trusty, if mediocre, Fenix LD02. I now have a copper Olight I3E EOS I keep on a bright green neck lanyard sorta thing. Thinking about getting another, albeit better, small light to keep I'm my medicine bag. I've looked at the Maratac AAA extreme, which is a little rich for my blood, but have heard good things. The nitecore tip and tini are neat, not sure about the rechargable aspect.

Ideas? Suggestions?
I carried a iTP A3 EOS before Olight bought the design. I also bought quite a few Olight I3 EOS. I switched to ThruNite Ti for a couple of years as it was easier to turn on and off and get to the different brightness w/o turning the head on/off/on. I finally settled on the Nitecore Tip. After using it for a few months, I liked it so much I bought a 2nd as a backup in case I lost or broke it. It's been a few years and I'm still on the original with the backup, still NIB, in my flashlight box. If I ever use it, I'll recharge it at the end of the day (or week). You can lock out the buttons so it doesn't activate by accident in your pocket (press both buttons at the same time). 1 button to turn on/off, the other for the 3 power modes. It's brighter than the I3 EOS and I have a USB cable in my car if I need to charge it while I'm out. It's not a primary light so it's perfect for when you don't have your EDC light with you. I usually have a Olight S10 baton, Olight T10 or a 2AA light (T25 or Eagletac P20a2 MkII). I also have a few 18650 lights when I know I need more power or runtime.

I used to carry a Streamlight Microstream in my pocket, but have switched over to a Fenix E01. I like the twist on just a little bit better. I value carry-ability over output for my EDC, it's a faithful companion on trips in many a hotel also. It's enough light to get by, and is easy on batteries. Standing it on it's tailcap to be a small candle has come in handy as well. I really like being able to pick up a AAA battery wherever I'm traveling and dropping it in when needed. No searching for exotics...

By my bed, it's my old trusty Surefire U2. 15 years old and still going strong.

I have a little bag for diabetic supplies I carry everywhere. I'm looking for a light to fit in it.

I keep the little Olight on my nightstand, and around my neck when walking around at night. I have low light vision issues, but don't like to turn the lights on at 3am and wake people up.

For outdoor and longer term duty, I have my old trusty Streamlight TwinTask 3c. 3 mode, six regular LED's, and a C4. I've had it a long time, still works great.

Here is a pic of my EDC bag, with the rest of today's carry.

6Lsu5Rq.jpg

The Nitecore TIP is very cool, I worry about keeping it charged. It's not gonna be a daily use light, more a convenience and emergency. How long does it hold a charge while "dormant?"

I need something bright but will fit in the bag. I don't really know the difference or specifics of the different LED's, and need a little "edumacation" (to quote Homer Simpson) on that.

Thanks.

Reactions: BBW
The Nitecore Tip has a LiIon battery and discharge rates are negligible from what I can tell. I have gone months w/o using it or charging it and has never failed to work.

BTJLrR7.jpg

I would look at a single CR123a or AA light for the EDC bag. I love my S10 Baton (old and I think discontinued). Sunwayman V10R or V11R is pretty cool too (I have a V10R). EagleTac make good single cell lights as well.

I used to carry a Streamlight Microstream in my pocket, but have switched over to a Fenix E01. I like the twist on just a little bit better. I value carry-ability over output for my EDC, it's a faithful companion on trips in many a hotel also. It's enough light to get by, and is easy on batteries. Standing it on it's tailcap to be a small candle has come in handy as well. I really like being able to pick up a AAA battery wherever I'm traveling and dropping it in when needed. No searching for exotics...

By my bed, it's my old trusty Surefire U2. 15 years old and still going strong.

The Fenix E01 has been my keyring light for over 10 years now. I love the long runtimes, the durability, and no frills operation. I value the reliability and run times over insane lumens, and the E01 is enough to get by with and I know in an emergency that it will stay on for a long time. Not to mention the easy to find AAA battery.

In my daypack is my AA mini mag LED. Good output of 172 lumens and still had very good run time. Easy to replace at any Walmart for 20 bucks. Sometimes I have it in it's nylon web sheath on my belt at night. Makes a great travel companion for dark unfamiliar places, and it's a decent fist load with butt end in ugly encounters of the close kind.

The Fenix E01 has been my keyring light for over 10 years now. I love the long runtimes, the durability, and no frills operation. I value the reliability and run times over insane lumens, and the E01 is enough to get by with and I know in an emergency that it will stay on for a long time. Not to mention the easy to find AAA battery.

In my daypack is my AA mini mag LED. Good output of 172 lumens and still had very good run time. Easy to replace at any Walmart for 20 bucks. Sometimes I have it in it's nylon web sheath on my belt at night. Makes a great travel companion for dark unfamiliar places, and it's a decent fist load with butt end in ugly encounters of the close kind.
My biggest gripe about the E01 is the stiff ring. It's a 2 hand operation to turn it on. I have one that was thrown in my flashlight box the next day. To be fair, I had a bunch of other single AAA lights that were easier to use and much brighter. After 10 yrs of twisting to turn on/off, I really appreciate the buttons on the Tip.

You might want to look into some single AA lights. They're in the 200 lumen range and smaller than the mini mag LED. You could also go with the same form factor (2xAA) and get double the light output.

Riding in my Leatherman sheath with bit extender, full bit kit, and Fisher Space Pen is a Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi AAA light. Love it! It is small, light and powerful enough for its use. Plain and simple twist low, medium and high settings (3, 35,and 132 lumens).

AB6DBC26-947E-426B-BE54-7B81C89188F0.jpeg

My biggest gripe about the E01 is the stiff ring. It's a 2 hand operation to turn it on. I have one that was thrown in my flashlight box the next day. To be fair, I had a bunch of other single AAA lights that were easier to use and much brighter. After 10 yrs of twisting to turn on/off, I really appreciate the buttons on the Tip.

You might want to look into some single AA lights. They're in the 200 lumen range and smaller than the mini mag LED. You could also go with the same form factor (2xAA) and get double the light output.

Do you ever lube the rubber ring?

I've done that now and then when it gets a little stiff, and it's a one hand light. I use a dab of either mineral oil on a toothpick or a drop of olive oil. No petroleum oils as they degrade the rubber. Using my index finger and thumb while the rest of my fingers hold the lights barrel, I have no problem turning it on or off with just one hand. And I like the lower lumens for a keychain light. I don't want to blast my night vision with more lumens than I need to see where I'm stepping or what circuit breaker to throw. There is such a thing as too much light. I've got a single AA from Peak LED Solutions, and I never carry the thing. Too much light that drowns vision, and too big for a keyring.

I love my E01.

Do you ever lube the rubber ring?

I've done that now and then when it gets a little stiff, and it's a one hand light. I use a dab of either mineral oil on a toothpick or a drop of olive oil. No petroleum oils as they degrade the rubber. Using my index finger and thumb while the rest of my fingers hold the lights barrel, I have no problem turning it on or off with just one hand. And I like the lower lumens for a keychain light. I don't want to blast my night vision with more lumens than I need to see where I'm stepping or what circuit breaker to throw. There is such a thing as too much light. I've got a single AA from Peak LED Solutions, and I never carry the thing. Too much light that drowns vision, and too big for a keyring.

I love my E01.
I used silicone grease* on the o-ring and it helped a bit but still pretty stiff.

I agree about blasting night vision and most of my lights are set to medium which is about 30-80 lumens on most of my lights and that is a good setting for 90% of my uses. It also increases battery life 3-7x over high.

*One of my pet peeves is people recommending petroleum based lubricants on o-rings. :thumbsup:

I should have made an honorable mention to the photon 2 lights. I always have one on my keychain, but have gotten them wet several times and had to take them apart and dry them out. Doesn't hurt them, but is a bit of a pain when other lights are very water resistant. It is handy, but I've learned to have a Fenix E01 in my pocket also.

Pretty sad when you are not a flashlight nut (as opposed to a knife nut), but still carry 2 on your person at all times... :D

So, I ordered a Nitecore MT10C, with an oligOl USB battery charger.

Surefire Aviator for many years now. I've been carrying this since they came out, and the incandescent version before that. If I have pants on, this is in my pocket. Once I got used to that low output red secondary light it's just something I can't live without in a flashlight. The perfect light for me.

fgBseZ0.jpg

I rotate between a Fenix PD-32/35. Both are the perfect size and I get good mileage out of a battery plus a low battery warning helps to stay out of the dark and have a couple charged spares on hand.

I prefer a six- or eight-inch kudlik. It might be greasy and inconvenient, but it is dim and has a short running time. Best choice for me.

Zieg

This small modified lumintop tool, its aaa and gets somewhere in the 700 lumens with nichia 219c, a warm color light.

Fd5dBJY.jpg

Reactions: BBW
Back