What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Evan saw his knives being posted, and having finished the checkering on this one, sent me pics before mailing it off!! The handles were someone's teeth from decades ago!!:rolleyes:
View attachment 1076749 View attachment 1076750

Charlie - That looks amazing - just that step to the side by checkering just the insert. Most probably even the more difficult to do rather that the complete Handles.

The earliest versions (pre-1870's) that were made in Stannington and Sheffield had bolsters that were forged all in one piece with the liners (which are rather thick) the thicker iron of the bolsters was very rigid indeed (think of the steel slab handles on all stainless knives). There are some nice examples posted in the "old knives" thread.

Thanks for the reply! This totally makes sense. I was having trouble finding actual construction of the original barlows.

Standard Barlows tend to be a tad small for my tastes, but I couldn't help picking this one up. I instantly fell in love with the mottled color and jigging of the bone, and I've always liked the Russell arrow bolster stamp. Nothing too special. Just a Solingen model, but it seems well put together. Great snap on the blades.

I'm a little out of my depth on Barlows. Does anybody know how old it is?

8i0ud4uh.jpg

abuibtWh.jpg

Standard Barlows tend to be a tad small for my tastes, but I couldn't help picking this one up. I instantly fell in love with the mottled color and jigging of the bone, and I've always liked the Russell arrow bolster stamp. Nothing too special. Just a Solingen model, but it seems well put together. Great snap on the blades.

8i0ud4uh.jpg

abuibtWh.jpg
Sorry I can't help out with the aging of that beauty. It sure is a great looking barlow though!

Spectacular specimen. Full blades and rich caramel tone. Great score right there!

Buzz, I don't know if that particular Russell reproduction was "authorized" or not, but they are generally very well made, and good looking as yours attests!! I too would like to know when they were made!!

The earliest versions (pre-1870's) that were made in Stannington and Sheffield had bolsters that were forged all in one piece with the liners (which are rather thick) the thicker iron of the bolsters was very rigid indeed (think of the steel slab handles on all stainless knives). There are some nice examples posted in the "old knives" thread.
Speaking of integral bolsters...:) This S E Oates & Son came in the mail today. It's in poor shape, but didn't cost much either, so I figured it was worth a risk. I don't know if it's authentic, but it does have integral bolsters and looks like pictures I've seen. There's no "England" stamped on the blade, but perhaps it's been sharpened away? :confused:
vNX1LNT.jpg
D1if3vs.jpg
Drt5spY.jpg
olWxyYf.jpg
nhnxx3V.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of integrated bolsters...:) This S E Oates & Son came in the mail today. It's in poor shape, but didn't cost much either, so I figured it was worth a risk. I don't know if it's authentic, but it does have integral bolsters and looks like pictures I've seen. There's no "England" stamped on the blade, but perhaps it's been sharpened away? :confused:
vNX1LNT.jpg
D1if3vs.jpg
Drt5spY.jpg
olWxyYf.jpg
nhnxx3V.jpg
Looks real to me ! Great score indeed

8i0ud4uh.jpg

abuibtWh.jpg

Pretty sure under “Barlow” Webster’s has a picture of this one....love it!!

Speaking of integral bolsters...:) This S E Oates & Son came in the mail today. It's in poor shape, but didn't cost much either, so I figured it was worth a risk. I don't know if it's authentic, but it does have integral bolsters and looks like pictures I've seen. There's no "England" stamped on the blade, but perhaps it's been sharpened away? :confused:

A great representative example of the early integral Barlow design. Many of them saw hard use, and didn't start out as showpieces to begin with, as may be seen by the well preserved examples recovered from the steamboat Arabia. A really nice find!

vNX1LNT.jpg
D1if3vs.jpg
Drt5spY.jpg
olWxyYf.jpg
nhnxx3V.jpg

Very nice, and yes, old and original.

vNX1LNT.jpg
D1if3vs.jpg
Drt5spY.jpg
olWxyYf.jpg
nhnxx3V.jpg
I believe that Squire Elijah Oates would have been very happy to know that some of his knives were still around after 130 years . I think that it is great shape my friend .

Harry

Nice old, ancient Barlow, Rachel!! I love those Oates-marked knives!!
Nice New Ancient, lavishmammal!!! I love those TC-marked knives!!
:D:D

Back