What makes a Sebenza such a great knife?

OK, please don't all shout at once.:D

I'm not trying to stir anything up here, I would just really like to know what it is about the CRK that makes lots of you rave about it so much.

I have never seen one in the flesh as I live in the UK where your lucky to have a local shop that sells a Buck 110 let alone a Sebie. I have obviously seen pictures of them on the web and well to be honest they look quite plain, not don't get me wrong that's not always a bad thing, I guess what I really want to know is what features does it have to make it qualify for such a large price tag?

Does it have exceptional handling qualities?

Is it built to withstand a direct nuclear strike?

Come to think of it what materials are used in this knife?

Please enlighten me.

Cheers,

Tony.

I had to pick one up after spending some time on these forums. The link to the website pretty much says it all. It's designed to be a simple, but strong knife. There isn't much to go wrong with it. Quality materials and quality craftsmanship is what you're paying for.

It is also very easy to take apart and clean.

what makes it so great is that if you say anything bad about it, you risk getting stoned with pixels and whipped with fiber optic pathways :D

Marerials, fit, finish, customer service, and overall constuction justify the price tag.

Paul

I like the Sebenza because it is very, well built, has excellent materials and just works as good as any folder as I've handled. Last, but not least, is the excellent customer service the company has and the warranty on the knife.

The honest answer is that what makes it great would make any other product great.

It has great materials (good alloys, titanium), it has Chris standing behind the product, it is a good design and it has found its price point.

If Chris made cheese graters in this fashion, he would bankrupt Pampered Chef.

Lots of great knives out there, using excellent materials and high standards of manufacturing. Chris Reeve has just been doing it longer and more consistently than the others. By restricting himself to a few serious working patterns, he has been able to concentrate on maintaining quality instead of constantly reaching for latest fad.

Like many of the custom makers working with production companies, Chris has raised the standard of a high-tech, high-quality knife in everyone's mind.

in addition to fit, finish, materials, & functionality, i also think that you're paying for the fact that the knife is maintainable through your personal disassembly - with relative simplicity - and therefore that must account for some of the extra bucks.

i still think it's overpriced, & i personally have no desire to get one, but that's just my personal taste. i would definitely pay over 300 bucks for a knife if i liked the looks of it, but in the sebbie's case, it just doesn't do it for me. different strokes..

...Maybe it's the too high price?.:rolleyes:. (BTW...I DID own a Sebenza at one time, but I just couldn't see what made it worth $350-$400.).

Ok, definatly not trying to start a riot, but why should somebody spend $400 on a Sebbie when they can have a Buck Mayo TNT at half the cost?

The buck mayo tnt is a framelock, titanium handles, and S30V steel..

Being left handed the fact that CRK makes true left hand models of each model they sell. Being able to return a used and scuffed up knife and having it completely refinished for about the price of a Delica. thanks Larry

OH JOY OF JOYS! ANOTHER THREAD ON THE SEBENZA!!! YAAAAAY!!! :rolleyes:

Instead of starting another thread on the Sebenza you should have used the "Search" function. You will have thousands of pages to read through about why one should or should not buy a Sebenza. I chalk this one up to one more useless Sebenza thread. Same things we've all heard before. :yawn:

The Buck / Mayo is a nice knife. But it's not an equal the sebenza.

What makes the sebenza such a great knife????

Because everyone says it's the best. It's the blade to own if you want a production knife. Everyone says so. It's cool. It's hip. You can take it apart and fix it when it's not broke.

I agree with K.V. ENOUGH ALREADY!!:eek: :D Course I like the Sebbie and have found that you either like it or hate it....not much in between.

My suggestion; well I don't have one. Everyone have a SEBENZA day!!:D :D YOU get to choose what kind of day you have.

Well, unlike Artsig 1, I don't love it or hate it.
I have handled the legendary Sebenza quite a few times, and I still check them out when ever I see one at a knife show, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about.
Yes, they are very well made.
And yes, they are very much overpriced (IMO).

I think the Sebenza is a victim of its own reputation.
It has been hyped so much in the knife community that it simply can't live up to the hype (NO knife could).

Good luck,
Allen.

It maybe over rated, but as far as price do we really know how much time is put into the making of a Sebenza compared to other production knives? I know I paid around $150 for my Camillus Dominator and the blade grinds aren't very even. They grinds on the Sebenza are perfect, at least on mine. I would say overall the Sebenza is finished much nicer than the Dominator. Both have Titanium handles and similar frame locks. I find the Sebenza locks up better and has less blade play. So I think what you're paying for is more time put into the production of the knife to acheive a more refined piece. The same reason you pay $400-1000+ for a custom knife. You are paying for someone's skilled talent and time. In the end does it make the knife perform much better? Probably not.

Back