What makes this 102 a custom???

Tanker 1/66

Gold Member
I've searched and searched the forum and web and found nothing on what makes this a custom shop 102. I thought that it might be D2 steel but it isn't marked. It sharpened up just like 420hc nothing hard.The scales and spacers look like every other 102. Please chime in experts.

The stamp looks a little fishy to me, but the picture is a little blurry.

At $15 you got your money's worth if it's in fairly good shape, but the stamp is not legit.

I just couldn't imagine a fake 102. Why bother. But then again there is money in everything.

It appears to have been made post-1981 due to the full hollow grind and only two Micarta handle spacers. Did it come with a sheath? If yes, do you have a pic?

No unfortunately it didnt have a sheath with it. I ordered a current production sheath for it.

If yall want different angles on the pics let me know. As long as photobucket cooperates lol

It is legit and you got it at a good price. It is most likely a custom shop stamped blade that got finished as a standard production knife.
Knives like this get put together all the time at Buck with mismatched parts and such.

I got ya, Custom stamped blade maybe was going to have a fancy handle put on it but entered regular production instead. Makes sense. Thanks

I don't remember a 102 blade that would have been stamped with that stamp, though.
Have any 102s actually come out of the Custom Shoppe?
I think I'm sure I would have bought one if they did.

Still puzzled.

Yea other then thd blade stamp there is nothing custom about this one. Maybe gedlicks hit it on the head

Yes, you got a leftover blade........kind of a rare one, probably. Wouldn't be many of those around.
Good find.

Back