What makes this 102 a custom???

The 102 blades with the Custom stamp were made in 1990 for the Gold Series. Mirror polished blade, brass furniture and a phenolic handle. They came with the Custom stamp as shown on the left side and a holster sheath. There was a second issue with standard stamp on the right and a standard sheath. There was also a 103 and 119 in the series. I believe Yellowhorse bought up a bunch of them for his projects. A number of the extra blades escaped to the wild in standard trim. A good find.

IMG_1843.jpg

103BKP003crop.jpg

Last edited:
The 102 blades with the Custom stamp were made in 1990 for the Gold Series. Mirror polished blade, brass furniture and a phenolic handle. They came with the Custom stamp as shown on the left side and a holster sheath. There was a second issue with standard stamp on the right and a standard sheath. There was also a 103 and 119 in the series. I believe Yellowhorse also bought up a bunch of them for his projects. A number of the extra blades escaped to the wild in standard trim. A good find.

IMG_1843.jpg

103BKP003crop.jpg

Thank you very much for the information. I would say its a keeper. Alot of knowledge here.

There was also 67 made in the old custom shop as well as 1 in damascus.

Here are a couple I have from the old custom shop.

102 Custom with Buffalo horn handles and mirror polished blade
Rsq1FIY.jpg

ytCBtPn.jpg

102 Custom with stag handles and mirror polished blade.
r07f81v.jpg

Iqnyd0M.jpg

The first one looks exactly like mine. You mean it might not be phenolic handles?

The buffalo horn handle has streaks in it of white and greys. Yours looks like phenolic. I do not see any streaks at all in it. Take a close look at yours. If it is straight black all the way through
it is most likely phenolic.

There was also 67 made in the old custom shop as well as 1 in damascus.

Here are a couple I have from the old custom shop.

102 Custom with Buffalo horn handles and mirror polished blade
Rsq1FIY.jpg

ytCBtPn.jpg

102 Custom with stag handles and mirror polished blade.
r07f81v.jpg

Iqnyd0M.jpg

That stag one is a beauty.

Stamp is legit.

It's legit for a custom shop knife, but this is not a custom shop knife..... it's just a mismatched parts knife done with a custom shop stamped blade that got finished as a standard production knife.

As long as its a Factory Buck I'm not going to complain for $15.00 And Thanks for all the replies much appreciated.

Well, I said you got your money's worth if it was in fairly good shape and it seems that it's in really good shape--so you got MORE than your money's worth on that deal!
(And a great blade stamp and a pretty good story.)
What more could you ask for?
(I know.......a buff horn handle......well, there are limits.)
:)

Back