What model is this

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what model this is? Belongs to a friend, it is the only pic I have and he says he can't find any info on the knife?

photo6.jpg

Any info and help appreciated

Here is the Taclite 885 (catalog 5086) with grippy textured handle, button unlock and ATS 34 BOS blade:

08-11-2012002.jpg

08-11-2012003.jpg

08-11-2012005.jpg

08-11-2012006.jpg

My pleasure Desert Dave.

If Willem (smokepole: slang for a black powder firearm) turned on his email function I would send him several closed auctions of his target folder for his amusement.

Last edited:
Here’s some more info on your friends knife. The wood handled 886 was introduced in Buck’s 2003 Mid-Year catalog and then in 2004 and had a retail list price of $55.
It was preceded in 2001 by the larger 885 (second picture) that had G10 handles, an ATS-34 blade with no serrations and a button lock release. The original 885 (third picture) was introduced the following year and has the same specs as the 886 but is smaller.

The G10 models disappeared from the catalog after the wood handled model was introduced. The wood model seems to have been discontinued after 2004.

20032004Tacklite.jpg

2001Taclite.jpg

2002Tacklite.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. You just have to love this place - just sooooo much knowledge and everyone willing to share.

Oregon, my apologies - I was under the mistaken impression that my e-mail function was on - I rectified that situation now and would be glad to see any additional info on the knife.

I am no fundi on Buck knives although I am slowly but surely learning a little - and I really like them. I have the iconic 110 and it's smaller brother, the 112, as well as the Vantage Avid and a couple of the skeleton framed skinners (140/141?). Anyway, I really like the overall design of the tactlite - to me it ticks just about all the right boxes for a civilian tactical knife. One thing I would perhaps have changed is the size although the 885 is very close to the ideal size to my mind. In fact, it would probably be ideal for most folks but I have large hands and would have personally preferred another half inch on the handle and quarter inch on the blade.

How is lock up achieved? Is it a proprietary system?

Email sent.

The Taclite is a liner lock. The fancy button is one way to unlock the open blade so your fingers stay out of harm's way. You really have to push on that button to release the liner lock. I don't worry about closing it by accident when I don't intend to have it close.

I've got the XXL hands also. This knife fits me pretty good and the rough textured G10 gives a wonderful grip. The wooden model is a beauty. I enjoy seeing your friend's model whenever I get the chance, which is rare due to its vintage.

Welcome to the forum and you are so right about the folks here being top drawer.

Thanks oregon, I appreciate - not only the mail, but also the warm welcome! I am still finding my way around what is arguably the largest knife related forum on the 'Net, but there are many, many kind folks around that make it so much easier.

I am sure that knife will fit well and the textured handles give a great grip - it is just for me, I have a slightly different, perhaps unorthodox, view of a civilian tactical knife and I like the handle to slightly protrude on either side of my hand when the knife is closed. I also really like that little wooden model (not mad about the serrations, but I could live with them) and I think my friend, Gary, got it for one heck of a bargain - if I remember he paid something like $18 for it!!

I don't own any of those, but I do like the looks of them....especially your friend's wood handled one!! :thumbup:

Thank you gentlemen. You just have to love this place - just sooooo much knowledge and everyone willing to share.

Oregon, my apologies - I was under the mistaken impression that my e-mail function was on - I rectified that situation now and would be glad to see any additional info on the knife.

I am no fundi on Buck knives although I am slowly but surely learning a little - and I really like them. I have the iconic 110 and it's smaller brother, the 112, as well as the Vantage Avid and a couple of the skeleton framed skinners (140/141?). Anyway, I really like the overall design of the tactlite - to me it ticks just about all the right boxes for a civilian tactical knife. One thing I would perhaps have changed is the size although the 885 is very close to the ideal size to my mind. In fact, it would probably be ideal for most folks but I have large hands and would have personally preferred another half inch on the handle and quarter inch on the blade.

How is lock up achieved? Is it a proprietary system?[/QUOTE]

As oregon said, all the Taclite models were liner locks. The "button" system was unique and here's a link to pictures and a thread about them.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ite-885-and-886-lock-system?highlight=taclite

Here's a couple of old picture of the three models together. I wonder why Buck thought they should add the serrations :)thumbdn:) ? :confused: Another :thumbup: for the old versions was the removeable pocket clip.

Taclitesa.jpg

Taclitesb.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some pictures of the 2003 and 2004 versions of the wood handled 886. I find it interesting that the 2003 models (I have two that I can see the stamp) isn't stamped U.S.A. . Both boxes do have "Made in U.S.A." printed on the label. Another one that I have from 2003 is in an unopened clam pack so I can't see the stamp but it too is marked "Made in U.S.A."

Taclitesx2a.jpg

Taclitesx2b.jpg

Taclitesx2c.jpg

Taclitesx2d.jpg

Plumb, thank you so much for the most informative postings and pictures - the link you supplied showing how the lock works is also great - explains it nicely.

I have to agree on the serrations - not a great fan myself, but let's not go there for now! If I understand correctly, this range (885 and 886) has been discontinued? If that is the case, it is very sad as I think it is a really neat design!

Plumb, thank you so much for the most informative postings and pictures - the link you supplied showing how the lock works is also great - explains it nicely.

I have to agree on the serrations - not a great fan myself, but let's not go there for now! If I understand correctly, this range (885 and 886) has been discontinued? If that is the case, it is very sad as I think it is a really neat design!

BTW, I am drooling all over the keyboard over that collection of 885's and 886's you have there!

My pleasure Smoke and thanks.

The whole lineup of those only lasted four years and the wooden one lasted from sometime in 2003 through 2004. Then poof, they were all history.

Plumb, it is such a pity - and it makes your collection the more valuable! Methinks maybe Buck should have a look at re-introducing this model - it is a really neat design, especially for a civilian tactical knife and I think it might well sell better than in 2003/2004. I'd loose the serrations on the wooden handled model and I'd loose the button release on the G10 models, but other than that, it would be great to see this one in production again.

Well for what its worth, I really miss the 885! It had all the cool bells and wistles...light weight, G-10 sides, premium steel blade, nifty but cumbersome release button. So other than the button, it was pretty cool in my opinion.
Awesome pictures byt the way!
Welcome Willem!

Back