What opening way is the most fun way to play with?Why?

Why not experiment? To everyone saying keep it simple I couldn't agree more but Kizer has the means to experiment which can produce a home run or a dud. I have a flipper that has thumb studs and it's fun going back and forth.
Good one!

Emerson Wave, even though it destroys pockets. Spyderco hole is a close second. Combine the two for the CQC-10 and Combat Karambit.

I'm also a big fan of ball-bearing flippers. My favorite is the ZT0777.

Axis locks are great to play with as are Spyderco's Compression lock and Phantom lock.

I like to play with flippers with the blade riding on KVT ball bearings. I thinks it’s cool to watch the blade slowly fall shut with a slight wrist flick.

Assisted flippers.

The Kershaw 3860 has great fidget factor.

I wish I could spidey-flick but my Para 2 has drawn far too much of my blood.

What is a front flipper?

Attempted Edit for Clarity

The gimping or texture is placed on the back spine of the blade so that it presents itself to the front underside of the closed knife. The flipping action to the deploy the blade uses a pass of the thumb (this action varies to suit the handler and the ease of the knife) rather than an index finger flip of the top stud.

Not a great description but this video will demonstrate FRONT FLIPPER & a video that compares various "front" flipper types.

Sorry not demonstrating a KIZER :(

Last edited:
Compression lock and spydie hole. I prefer the spydie flick method on a paramilitary 2, specifically one that isn’t DLC coated, which muffled the clack noise.

Rather than a flipper stud on the top of the handle the flipper or textured grip is placed at the front of the bolster. The flipping action to the deploy the blade uses a pass of the thumb (this action varies to suit the handler and the ease of the knife) rather than an index finger flip of the top stud.

Not a great description but this video will demonstrate FRONT FLIPPER

Sorry not demonstrating a KIZER :(
It' s alright bro, we all wanna help.;) Nice description btw

Thanks Ray. Are they hard to flip?

I have had a difficult time with the ones I have owned. I have blamed it on: too short a thumb, lack of dexterity, and/or small reach in general. According to Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery I just haven't had the right one. To be fair, many flippers of any design don't work that well. The Shiros or Thorburns the consistent exceptions as they are, in my experience, flawless and great fun. I love flippers but the front ones have moved on.

I dont like multiple opening methods either. If it has thumbstuds or a hole the flipper gets in the way, and as you stated it looks cluttered.

The Spyderco Smock is a ridiculously fidget friendly knife. Can be opened with front flipper, spydie hole, or just the button-compression lock. Even if you never use the flipper tab, it’s not in the way, since it’s entirely within the normal silhouette of the knife.

The Spyderco Smock is a ridiculously fidget friendly knife. Can be opened with front flipper, spydie hole, or just the button-compression lock. Even if you never use the flipper tab, it’s not in the way, since it’s entirely within the normal silhouette of the knife.

That I would actually agree with you on. I should have specified standard flippers. I’d like to have a Smock man!! A little small but damn it looks awesome! Nice catch there buddy.

Front flippers and ball bearing flippers are my favorite. Also round hole openers. I do enjoy multiple opening methods when tastefully done and are actually all usable such as a flipper with an opening aperture that can be finger flicked or thumb opened also. I dont like thumb studs on flippers.
I own a Kizer fiest which was my first front flipper and I like it although the detent is a little stronger than my other front flippers. Also its on the smaller side but a fun folder still and classy looking imo.
I would like to see other front flippers from Kizer in a 3.25"-3.50" blade size.

Why not experiment? To everyone saying keep it simple I couldn't agree more but Kizer has the means to experiment which can produce a home run or a dud. I have a flipper that has thumb studs and it's fun going back and forth.

I own a American made Kershaw Zing that I really enjoy. It has a flipper and what I feel is the best thumb stud ever designed. Plus, there is enough exposed blade that I can grab and open the knife with lightweight gloves on.

Back