What price knives you would normally buy? For what purpose?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kizer Cutlery, Jun 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kizer Cutlery

Kizer Cutlery Follow our Instagram: kizercutlery_inc Moderator

Jun 24, 2013
    This week's discussion is that the price of your knives, let's hit it!
    kizer_inc_102381675_922464264867620_580816283087553412_n.jpg

2. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    $80 - 150 is usually my range for user knives, both folders and fixed. :) Once in a while, I go nuts and get something just a little over that range.

ktataragasi, Smiling, guy g and 2 others like this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    If I count the used vintage traditionals I acquire off Ebay here and there I have to say from $10 to my most expensive knife so far being $75.
    The purpose is just mundane everyday utility, no collecting or reselling or trading.
    If I don't end up liking or using it much I give it to someone who will.

guy g, Bastler and Kizer Cutlery like this.
  4. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    My most expensive knife cost $160. It is an outlier. Maybe four or five others cost more than $100, including a few Forum knives. By far the majority of my knives cost less than $20. Most of the rest were under $50. I have almost no interest at all in buying modern folders. There are a couple of Benchmades I would not mind having, but I would not use them enough to justify the outlay.

Kizer Cutlery likes this.
  5. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    Normally ??
    I'm all but normal.
    But OK - I may spend $20-30
    If it's chinese made in any/all ways - $10 is a limit !
    I got some better knives, but bought them 20-30 years ago, just was young & stupid.
    Anyway no chinese stuff these times, so was safe :^D

6. Kizer Cutlery

Kizer Cutlery Follow our Instagram: kizercutlery_inc Moderator

Jun 24, 2013
    Lol, how was that knife?

DangerZone98 likes this.
  7. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'll say $40 to $150 but rarely go over $110ish for a folder or fixed.

I have 44 knives. I think 7 or 8 were over $100.

No M390, Maxamet, Cruwear, S90V, S110V, M4, etc in my lineup. I'm content with ATS 34, 154cm, VG10, and D2.

Chronovore and Kizer Cutlery like this.
  8. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    My upper ceiling is $150.00. It is still a tool, it can still get lost, stolen, or broken, and I don't feel comfortable tying up that much gasoline and groceries in a purchase which holds no substantial advantage over an $11.00 knife.

Chronovore likes this.
  9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I think we have beat this topic to death in the past in one form or another. If you want to sell lots of knives, keep them priced below $100 and well made.

10. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I'm usually in the $20-$300 range. Never paid more than $500. Price doesn't really matter as much to me as perceived value. This is a weird calculation in my brain that combines price, quality, materials, company reputation, etc... into a nice value ratio. Of course I am the only one who can calculate and interpret this ratio and it is subject to change based on how I am feeling at any given moment :D

I've been on a Pro-Tech and Auto kick lately. Buying on the secondary market so that helps, but about $150 seems what I am paying for what I want to get right now. I went up to $325 on the Autocrat, still a deal given the new from a dealer price. Siren LNIB for $150.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    I don't expect to buy another knife any time soon, so the answer for me is $0. I used to spend over $100 on knives, but I came to my senses when so many companies instituted MAP. I have enough stuff to last the rest of my life, including knives.

slyraven likes this.
  12. Omnius

Omnius

Apr 17, 2020
    I usually try to find something decent within my local equivalent of $25-$40 range.
    My standard limit is around $65-70, but if it is very good quality, useful and interesting design, good and less common materials and has none of my dealbreakers, I can sometimes go up to $100.

I used to buy much more expensive knives, but after one really overpriced so called grail, I decided it is pointless waste of money for me. From now on, only sanely priced and easy to replace users that I won't be afraid to scratch or loose.
    No more safe queens that only sit in a box and cost more than a new laptop.

sharp_edge likes this.
  13. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Depending on the sales pitch, I can spend $20 - $600, but everything I’m buying nowadays is for my pocket. No hunting knives, no fixed blades, just daily carry. I have a new XM-18 in my pocket now, and I’ll probably swap it out for an Opinel when I get home and put on some shorts.

gunspease likes this.
  14. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    $300-$500 seems to be the sweet spot for the folders I like & use. If I really like a certain knife and it is more(up to $1000) I will still buy it(and use it). After $1000 I start to get real nervous. I almost bought an $1800 Shamwari the other day. I wanted it a lot, but just couldn't justify it-try as I might( and I am real good at justifying :)). You can certainly get knives cheaper than I pay that are fine cutters, but these offer me more than just cutting. I like quality also, and although I use there is a collecting factor also. I buy high end productions and customs-many discontinued or semi rare.
    Fixed blades I am not nearly as into and many are sub $100 and top out around $300 for full customs
    This is how I have been doing it since joining knife forums and trying all the goodies. Prior to that the $ spent and amount of knives spent on were significantly lower

15. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
    Well........price limit was $50.......then $75......
    .$100.......I swear, I tried to stop at that amount ! I bought a couple at $125 - $150.
    Now I want the BM bailout. Yeah......

colin.p likes this.
  16. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Chris Reeve at the top, along with a custom at 300$ and my Randall at 325$. Then Benchmade and Spyderco 100$-150$ range, then my Buck knives, none over 125$
    And of course my Saks

17. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Currently, most are between $100 and $350. I've gone as high as $500.

My mean average is probably $220 in todays dollars. Many of mine are unique and/or long discontinued.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  18. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Unfortunately, you've hit me at the end of my knife buying frenzy as I have retired (3 months early) due to the shenanigans going on. However, when I was working, I bought a lot of Benchmade's so that'll give you an idea as the average price I payed. I did buy one Kizer, so I'm at least somewhat, very slightly, supporting your brand.

Now however, I'm going to settle back and enjoy the (more than I can really ever even begin to wear out) knives I have and maybe every once in awhile buy something for a bargain price. Got to have enough for cat food.

Puppadore and K.O.D. like this.
  19. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    so far nothing more than $350. At some point I'll get something that costs a bit more, but that might not be this year. Got a Hogue OTF on me right now.

20. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I don't have a normal price window, I just buy what I like. That said, I wouldn't buy a Kizer at any price.

As for purposes, general EDC duties only. I have all of my other knife-specific needs handled already.

I'm carrying my Bob Dozier Custom today, like most days.