What price knives you would normally buy? For what purpose?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kizer Cutlery, Jun 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I'm generally between 50 to 250. At this point I only buy knives that I think would be fun to modify.

bflying, Sharp & Fiery and slyraven like this.
  2. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    I don't think I've ever spent for than $125 for a knife and most were far less than that. Main reason is I haven't bought many knives in the last decade. Knife prices have gone up, custom or high end builders like CRK don't interest me in the least, and I have pretty much everything I will ever need in this lifetime already. During the lockdown, I did buy a Benchmade Bugout and Mini-Presidio but got about 30% discounts on each, so in the hundred dollar range. Every now and then, I get interested in something from Victorinox (like a pair of Executives I got recently for about $24 each) as a change up to my main EDC.

I recently bought a Microtech UTX-85 in the $250 range but returned it a couple days later. It was hard to operate and filled absolutely no needs for me. For my knife needs, it was a gimmick.

3. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    Sounds like market research. The most I've ever spent on a single knife is about $150, a ZT 0452Cf. Spent around 100maybe half a dozen or 8 times, a couple Spydercos and GECs, an ESEE 4. Most the rest have been 75 or less, and that's probably in the neighborhood of 100 ish knives, mostly folders.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  4. TinyDog

TinyDog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I generally like to keep everyday knives for use limited to $200.00 if I can afford it at the time. Then every once and awhile I am old and stupid for sure and that's all I can say (-: TD

5. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    :D I like that guy..

6. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I like nice stuff and 200-400 is my norm, although I don't buy much any more.
    Although I've read good threads about your knives, I'm a CRK and Spydie fan, primarily.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  7. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    As the years pass my taste for knives and the price points has drastically changed. I am likely to spend more on car parts but that's just me, as for knives I often feel $100 is my sweet spot giving me quality without paying for unnecessary features. I've also found a lot of small fixed blades in this price range that are of EDC size. I started carrying small fixed blades this year and because I'm fairly rough on knives it has worked out well. I use my knives a lot a my day job and in general, this means a fair amount of maintenance, if I stick with one knife I usually wear it out in about 2-3 years.

I've also gravitated away from High Alloy steels and enjoy some simpler steels. While I still like some such as CTS XHP or CPM-M4 my VG-10 endura or TOPS in 1095 just seems to work better for me. I worry less about beating on them and at the price point they are easily replaced.

8. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Cat food is quite a lot for his Royal Fatness, Finn.
    [​IMG]

He's on the Fatkins diet.

Sharp & Fiery, Bastler, Quiet and 3 others like this.
  9. Sigguy

Sigguy Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2006
    It depends on the company. I usually stay under 200 except for Chris Reeve Knives and will not purchase chinese knives.

10. Kizer Cutlery

Kizer Cutlery Follow our Instagram: kizercutlery_inc Moderator

Jun 24, 2013
    May I ask, Are those materials too expensive or you just think they don't worth the price?

Wannabe Rambo Guy and gazz98 like this.
  11. Kizer Cutlery

Kizer Cutlery Follow our Instagram: kizercutlery_inc Moderator

Jun 24, 2013
    good point!

Smiling likes this.
  12. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I was very happy a few years back when I could get a Spyderco with CPM-M4 for about 120 dollars.

Sal has had to raise prices due to reasons I am a bit concerned about.

13. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I use all my knives.

I only buy fixed blades. Big ones for chopping and smaller ones for EDC, and my EDC sometimes gets used hard

Budget is around 50€, but I will go up to 80€ for something I really like. Biggest issue in my country (Croatia) is availability.

I really wish there was true mid range of small fixed blades. Because options are either "alphabet soup" or 440 or AUS something, which we all know aren't toughest steels. If there was more choice in D2 or just plain carbon - it would be awesome.

ESEE Izula is awesome, but it will cost you over 100€ in Europe and I'm not willing pay for it that much when I know the price in US.
    Real Steel Receptor knife has really goos design, but then I see the steel used and it's a pass.

Real Steel Connector (drop point version) seems like a best choice but it's stocked out everywhere I look. I'm trying to find it for days now, no luck!

If you made small fixed blade (around 7-9cm blade) that isn't over 18cm in total lenght (with handle) and had a hand guard too... I'd possibly even buy 2 if steel used was D2 or plain carbon and it's in up there mentioned price range.

Also - big like for Kizer for asking us what we want/use!

Kizer Cutlery and DangerZone98 like this.
  14. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    It was a Kailash Khukuri. Inclusive of shipping, it was a little over $150 but totally worth it. Awesome craftsmanship AND customer service. Andrew and his team rock.

Of the Kizer knives, the S35VN Uprising caught my interest. For EDC, I generally like folding knives with 3.5” to 4” blades.

Kizer Cutlery likes this.
  15. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    CPM-M4 for $120?!!! *shocked face

That almost sounds too good to be true, lol. It seems I should’ve found this hobby earlier, lads.

ktataragasi likes this.
  16. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Things like a Manix 2 in blurple and S110v you could buy all the time for 110 dollars. Prices for many established manufacturers have been climbing.

I am not privy to the causes but I have my suspicions.

jbmonkey and DangerZone98 like this.
  17. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I tend to lose interest at the $100 mark. There's only so much money I'm willing to put at risk by carrying it in my pocket. Stuff happens to knives. They get lost. They get used. They get beat up. I do have a couple over the $100 mark, none over the $200 mark.
    I'm an over-endowed user, not a collector.

18. Danno4017

Danno4017

Jan 8, 2007

So do I.

19. ktataragasi

ktataragasi

May 26, 2019
    I tend to stick below $100 dollars. I was starting to find myself go higher and higher in knife purchases but at the end of the day it didn't really seem like the materials were justified. So now I look at materials and value. I picked up a 20CV Kershaw Bareknuckle for $70 and that may be value king for pocket knives. Even your tangram line was doing awesome but you seem to have gone away from that line as there have been no releases for a while.

I am also going back to more simple, low carbide steels for edc as they can take and maintain that shaving edge I prefer much easier.

Chronovore likes this.
  20. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    A combination of both. Although I haven't lost a knife in years, I'd rather lose a $50 or $100 knife then a $400 knife.

For example, I love my Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter (~$112) and Recon 1 (~$99) in S35VN. They are a good size blade and handle (I have a big hand), G-10 handles, Demkos Tri-ad lock :thumbsup:, and S35VN is more then tough enough for my every day cutting needs. Those two knives offer great materials vs cost in my book. I really don't need anything more then that.

The Spyderco Delica 4 FFG, Endela, and Endura are another example of sub $100 knives that are great values.

And if I had to sell off everything over $50 that I own, I could totally be content with my Ontario Rat 1s or 2s in D2 steel.

Ti handles seem to be the craze now. I don't like Ti handles. Too slick. So for me, not worth the $, especially if paired with a super steel.

I make decent $ but expensive knives are a luxury that I prefer not to splurge on. Instead of buying a $400 knife, I'll buy a nice knife for $90 and put $310 in the bank.