What role does a folder play in your camping/hiking/field usage?

Interested to learn how others are using a folder (if at all) in the set of tools/blades you bring on outdoor excursions where you'll be doing a variety of camping, food, and wood prep tasks. The question is not whether a folder CAN perform some of these tasks, but rather what you PREFER to do.

I used to bring a folder like my Spydie PM2 for slicing and light food prep tasks, a medium blade like my Swamp Rat Ratmandu or a big Schrade SCH52 for wood prep, and a folding saw.

What I found over time was that the Spydie is a very good performer for light tasks, it can handle the work just fine. But for me it was the simple reality that for any kind of messy work dealing with food or a lot of wood, a folder is kind of a hassle. Crud gets into the internals, it's a constant hassle to keep it clean when you're in the outdoors and don't have tools and cleaning solutions and compressed air handy.

So for me, in the end, I moved away from using a folder, and now I just use a small stainless fixed blade. Currently I use my Ritter MK3, an S30V 4.5" fixed blade that is great for all-purpose slicing and camp tasks, and in fact, I can use it for so many different tasks I've even started leaving the Ratmandu at home too. Now I'm looking at a TRC Knives K1 for the same small fixed blade role, but either way, I find I can get by with a small fixed/stainless blade. It does everything I need and gets away from the hassle of cleaning a folder when hiking or camping.

Interested to hear what others are doing.

I use an Extrema Ratio Resolza for food prep pretty much anytime I am away from kitchen knives. It looks a lot like a folding steak knife anyways, and it is so light I don't notice it no matter how far I hike. The trick to it is in the length, and with 4 1/2" of cutting edge, nothing gets into the pivot area. There is no more cleanup with it than with a fixed blade. Between the Resolza and a BK 15 I don't really need anything else, though I do sometimes pack in a hawk just in case I see a great walking stick that needs to be liberated from the scrub.

When I started doing more alpine climbing than backpacking I stopped carrying anything other than a Swiss Army Classic. I used it to open food packages, whittle chopsticks and stir sticks, cut salami (if I didn't pre-cut it), cut cheese (again if I didn't pre-cut it), cut threads, cords, pick my teeth, cut moleskin, clean my nails, tweeze things that needed tweezing, etc.

Worked fine for everything I needed to do.

I like a BIG fixed blade like a CS Trailmaster :cool: (hey, to each his own). But, I always have a medium stockman in my pocket for fine tasks and mainly for just sitting around (particularly around the fire) "just a-whittlin". :D

Last edited:
Hatchet or ax or folding saw for wood, and a folder for everything else. Usually a SAK and/or an Opinel no. 8. I own 2 fixed blades but they never get carried. Ever.

My hiking/camping needs are for food prep, line or paracord cutting, feather sticks, opening MRE's, that sort of thing. I'm not a bushcrafter or a long-distance hiker and I don't clear a space and build my own shelter.

For years I only carried a couple of folders. I took a Caly 3 because that's what I carried every day, and then I'd take either an original Manix or a Military. Honestly, I never needed anything but the Caly 3 and that's all I used for a long time.

Nowadays I take a Bradford G3 and a folder, either a Para 2 or a Ritter Grip. They still cover everything I need to do with an edge. I have found that with the ease of access and use that the G3 offers, I've gravitated toward using it more than a folder that has to be opened, cleaned, and closed.

In the woods - both. A small flipper is always in pocket. I view it as part of my first aid kit, keeping it clean and sharp if ever needed in that role. Right now that's a ZT450. Great tip, super sharp, and opens quick with one hand. Plus, it's always good policy to have a backup blade, just in case.

Fire, food, camp prep tasks are with the fixed blade (TRC K-1) worn out on the belt. Easy to retrieve/return (even with heavier clothing) and enough cutting edge to handle it all. Easy to clean and to use with gloves. Not that I ever intend to use it for self-defense, it could fulfill that role.

I carry a number of folders including para2 sebenza and even slipjoints. My fixed blades range from GSO 4.1 to Carothers LC. I like the folders because you get alot of blade in a smaller package. The para is a great companion, as is the sebbie and my favorite slipjoint is my GEC 98 camp knife in burnt orange. Its odd you dont like the para because it requires cleaning but in my experience you have to clean any knife and all i do is wash it in the creek or use a little drinking water.

Maybe I'm lucky here on the east coast there is always a creek or something when i camp and thats all i do until i get back home. Then i get out all my camping gear and clean/oil/lube if they require it. This step takes a while sometimes with cast iron stuff. But im glad to hear you found something you like nothing wrong with a fixed blade instead of a folder.

I have noticed running a knife dry or without oil or grease helps when it comes togetting gunk in the pivot but usually water takes care of that easily. Also you can always look at the G&G MUDD knife the pivot is totally enclosed.

Most of my woods excursions are day hikes and I generally carry both a folder (usually a large SAK) and 4" -5.5" fixed blade for potential more rigorous cutting tasks. The fixed blade seldom gets taken out of its sheath. Sometimes I'll have a small folding saw with me. I don't do much food prep in the woods unless I just do it for the fun of it. Car camping, I usually have quite a few cutting tools available; axe, saw, small to large fixed blades, and my regular pocket carry stuff. If I had to choose a knife for mostly food prep beyond opening dried food packaging, it would be a Mora.

I usually carry both folder and fixed and a Leaterman Wave anytime I'm outdoors on my land or hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, etc ...

The exact knives change according to what I'm doing but always one of each.

For camping or long hikes or trail rides when I may end up staying the night unplanned I carry a folding saw and small axe.

I use the fixed blades for cleaning fish or game and food prep ... and leave and woodcraft to the saw and axe with exception of maybe shaving some for starting a fire. The folders I carry are used for all the little things that come up when you may want a smaller blade ... which seems there are always some that come up ... plus it gives me a backup in case something happens to my fixed blade.

The multitool is just that sometimes it just has something that works better then a knife and bare hands.

Here's the minimalist kit I bring now. My Ritter MK3, and a 9.5" bladed Silky which fits snugly in a Condor magazine pouch.

y4mitWwp4s-5_3mC8LZvy9pFxhjlE_YGAaiC9EGK9qBoJHzFT_MzGxwUxr5K2wCWze6g4vQHIt_utAbaiDsqfWbxCnvXOb4wSYtpeG51HN9PKBkAkKmV9R-Yt9e2_UYSrzdb2nUA4DivIzjIL3LcyLVZ93p0hLXA3mGhwS6SzVXSa8dYOthhNU5NmeHLcRssBaVy60s4L0XeGKQ2Ke5cTnzsg

Depends on what I'm doing.

For day hikes and backpacking, I'll carry a Leather PS2 Squirt for first aid and gear repair and a light folder like an Opinel 9 for food. I carry both the fanny pack I carry at the 12 o'clock position.

For car camping, I'll bring a boys axe for splitting precut firewood and a 5" fixed blade for making shavings and splitting down kindling to smaller size.

For river side backpacking trips where I can make fires with minimal impact, I'll carrry an Opinel folding saw and a 7" fixed blade for delimbing and splitting firewood. No hatchet.

For river valley winter ski touring when I carry my Emberlit stove, I'll carry the folding saw and a 4" or 5" fixed blade.

In general I carry a folder for ease of carry and the fact that I honestly don't need a fixed blade, as I don't often make fires.

Personally, things are in a state of flux with my camp/hiking gear. I've been thinking "no axe" so here is my three knife plan:

1) Vic Pioneer as a small paring knife.
2) Benchmade 162 Bushcraft for field/food prep.
3) Buck Froe instead of an axe.

A Carothers Field Knife is what I would like to have instead of the 162 but I can't justify it right now. I already own the SAK and Benchmade, I just need to pick up the Froe. I could add a folding saw, if needed.

Anyone have suggestions for improvements?

I prioritize by carry method, then weight, then use. So since fixed blades don't work as well with hiking pack belts, or with getting in and out of vehicles, I tend towards folders, but a lot of factors can fall into play. I often have fixed blades available, but whatever is closest is generally a folder, so it tends to get used more often than not. I'm of the opinion that outside of a few things, I can get done with a folder what I can with a fixed. That has a lot to do with the woods I'm dealing with here, so generally firewood processing can be done by hand, or its not worth the effort. lots of knarly rock hard stuff that eats edges for dinner. I like having variety, but at the end of the day, folders are easier to carry.

When I backpack or hike it's always fixed blade never folder. I carry a camp knife 5-6 inch blade then a smaller knife 3 inch blade. These have handled any task I've set for them throughout the years. I don't cut trees down with knives. I never been anywhere where there wasn't dead wood laying around for burning except for the desert.

For me, I consider a folder a must have for all types of camping.

Backpacking / tent camping, I use a folder and a small multi tool constantly. Food prep, cutting cordage, feather sticks, whittling, equipment repairs, and etc. I never bring a large fixed blade on distance backcountry trips. Too much weight for too little benefit.

Car camping is way different. I tow a camper on family trips. I still have my SAK or vantage in my pocket and use them for the same type of tasks, plus opening beers and etc. But I always have a couple of fixed blades on those trips. Lately I've been keeping a couple of stainless steel moras in my camper for food prep, and cutting the limes for my campfire drinks. Crazy good blades for the money and the size and profile is perfect.

But regardless of the type of camping I do, I could easily get by with just a folder and never NEED a fixed blade. They are fun to have when weight is not a concern, but that is all.

...For day hikes and backpacking, I'll carry a Leather PS2 Squirt for...
Always have one of these in my pocket as well. It has a blade, so if you just need to do small tasks, it would suffice. But I like having a large SAK with me and that's usually the 112 mm Adventurer model (side locking Tinker essentially), or the One Handed Trekker tucked into my day pack. I can do 98% of all the cutting I need to do with the SAK and I have the other tools that come in handy from time to time.

I typically carry a SAK when I'm out and about but I mainly just use a fixed blade for most tasks.

One fixed blade (size depends on expected use) and almost always an SAK Trekker / German Army Knife (GAK). The GAK Opens one handed and locks, has the aggressive Victorinox saw, and is impervious to the elements.

Zieg

Back