What role does a folder play in your camping/hiking/field usage?

Folders are fine for most tasks around the campsite IMO. My last few trips have unfortunately been without a hatchet of any type, so have relegated small fixed blades and folders to light batoning use for kindling. I have also prepared lots of raw meat and other foods with them... If you get gunk in the pivot, you rinse it out. Fiancee was using the couple fixed blades for food prep so I batoned a sprint run Military through some quartered logs, not a big deal although definitely not efficient....

I think that a small fixed blade is mostly all you need whether backpacking and trail camping for a few days, or just day hikes. The actual size is mostly personal preference. That said, I'm just used to grabbing my SAK when I need to cut something normal (not skinning or hunting chores) and as a result it gets used for almost every task. I depend on it a lot day to day. If it is not in my pocket, I feel like something important is missing, almost the way I feel when I forget my cell phone. I do carry a fixed blade in the woods most times if I'm thinking about it, but it seldom gets used. It however is there if I do need it.

You bring the extra blade sometimes--not because you NEED to--but because you WANT to.

I'm not sure if there is a best reason ever for carrying a folder. That sir is THE POINT!
Has anyone on this forum ever stated this so succinctly?

Vote now for best statement ever!!!!!!!!!

Let's say about 80% of my camp chores are done with a folder. I like bigger ones (9cm+ blades) - my opinion is that they are more useful that smal folders. Large fixed blades are for heavy duty work - clearing branches, campfire wood chopping/batoning, heavy duty wood work in general.

Back