What SAK are ya totin' today?

Had to order a new set of sapphire plus scales because the ones I was about to use turned out to be mismatched. Turns out one of them is actually a significantly older style scale and the other one is newer style scale.

Interesting bit of trivia: the old sapphire scales were darker. It's almost purple in some light. The new style sapphire scales are a brighter more vibrant blue. Aside from the color difference, you can tell the difference by how the scales are molded. The newer style scales are hollow underneath so they use less plastic. The old style scales are just thick continuous pieces with the slots for the scale tools being the only empty spots.

How the hell did I randomly end up with one single NOS sapphire plus scale? What am I supposed to do with it?

The plus scales are always darker on the solid pen side, at least every one I have. Green, older light blue, and red. The scale is solid on that side, so it appears darker. Is that maybe what you’re seeing? And yes, it bothers my OCD a bit.

Vic Delemont Evo 14 today...

DvxyBWO.jpg

mitch13

Gold Member
Ooh I had to look up who is playing (I don't follow it anymore) but sorry go the mighty Cats!!
I stopped watching when Gary "god" Ablett retired must have been the mid 90's when I finished TAFE.
Ha I guess I'll hear about it if we loose. 🤪
Good luck with your team choice mate 👍🏻👍🏻
🦢v🐈
You must a put a hex on us, the swans got flogged😥😥

tiguy7

Gold Member
This is a G. Sekai Trekker with glued on Titanium scales. The main blade is ZDP-189, and the scales tools include, tweezers, toothpick, and pen. The aftermarket scales were designed for a 91mm SAK, but they fit the Trekker just fine. 56AD0D5A-4EBC-42A2-A513-DB40147D315D.jpeg

This is a G. Sekai Trekker with glued on Titanium scales. The main blade is ZDP-189, and the scales tools include, tweezers, toothpick, and pen. The aftermarket scales were designed for a 91mm SAK, but they fit the Trekker just fine. View attachment 1940473
I do not have knowledge enough to know what this knife is... Is it a SAK with design from G.Sakai like a colab, or is it a G.Sakai with SAK style?

tiguy7

Gold Member
I do not have knowledge enough to know what this knife is... Is it a SAK with design from G.Sakai like a colab, or is it a G.Sakai with SAK style?
It’s a Japanese copy of a SAK, and the dimensions are close enough that the aftermarket scales can be swapped. The Cellidor scales would probably not snap on. The original scales were wooden and glued on. G. Sekai has a web site.

gentleman_edc

Basic Member
Does G. Sakai still make these? I looked a while back and couldn't find one. And does the knife live up to the hype of the specifications?

tiguy7

Gold Member
Does G. Sakai still make these? I looked a while back and couldn't find one. And does the knife live up to the hype of the specifications?
The G. Sekai website does not show the Trekker as current production. It may have something to do with the apparent phasing out of ZDP-189 in general. IMHO it must be a cost issue because there is nothing wrong with the steel. In fact, I am quite impressed by it.

The plus scales are always darker on the solid pen side, at least every one I have. Green, older light blue, and red. The scale is solid on that side, so it appears darker. Is that maybe what you’re seeing? And yes, it bothers my OCD a bit.
Interesting. 🤔

A new set of replacement Plus scales arrived in the mail. Both the front and the back scale with the pen slot are hollow underneath like they should be, so they're a matching set. Neither appears darker than the other.

You might want to consider ordering from a newer stock to satisfy that OCD. My guess is that you've been ordering your scales from someone who still has a ton of older stock. That might be how I got mine too.