what size do you prefer/carry

3.5" to 4" is ideal to me. Though one of my most-carried EDC's is the 4.25" Case large Stockman and it doesn't bother me at all in my RFP.

2A66FF3B-0A72-45A8-8030-3A8A7585CE4C_zpsg1ofchfe.jpg

Around 3.5" is as big as I like. The size I really like is around 3 3/8" like my Case Medium Jack. Most knives are either 3" or 3.5", not many offered in-between.

I'm going to say 3 1/2" seems to do the job for me, if I'm going to carry one knife. That being said; I always carry more then one slip joint and they can run from 2 7/8" to 4".

4 inches closed turns out to be too big for my taste. I'll carry anything smaller than that, but my preference is 3.5 inches plus or minus .25 inches.

- GT

For me, it used to be 4" to 4 1/8" but in the last year or so I've been carrying knives that are 3 12" to 3 7/8".

A Stockman is the only 4" I carry, most are 3 5/8 to 3 3/4.
I'll carry a Queen Railsplitter as heavy as it is but don't like a 4 1/4 in stockman. I notice the length more than the weight or bulk.

Depends on the day of the week and what I'll be up to that day. During typical weekdays, between 3 1/4" and 3 5/8". Weekends and after work, I may go up to 4 1/4".

It's not so much that I carry specific size knives - it's that I carry specific knives and they each have a size. My minimal / always carry is a Victorinox Cadet, 3.3" long. I may carry something else in addition to the Vic. Weekdays the "something else" is most often a Buck 303 Cadet (3 1/4") or a Case 6318 Medium Stockman (3 5/8"), though recently it has been a Case Sod Buster Jr (also 3 5/8")

Weekends, I often go with a larger second knife (in addition to the Vic Cadet) - typically a Case Trapper (4 1/8"). I almost never need a knife for anything anyway, but I like to carry them.

3.5-3.75" is what works best for me. The new 77 pattern is great. I'll also carry a SAK Pioneer which is a little bigger but they're slim enough and carry great. 4"+ is too big for me.

I agree love the #77 pattern, perfect size IMO. I also carry a Pioneer or other 93mm sak's.

I like single-blades in 3-1/2"-3-3/4". For double-blades, 3-1/4" to 3-3/8".

I'll go larger and smaller, but the above are my sweet spots.

Always a 3.5" Hinderer right now. Thinking about taking the plunge on a 3" but trying to avoid the temptation. LOL

Having rather small hands (often referred to as stubbies by friends and family or having siblings chant "tiny fists") I tend to go knives in the 2 7/8th to 3 1/2 inch area. anything bigger just becomes to chunky in my hand. Usually have a vic cadet on me or a peanut along with a leatherman squirt on my keyring. Despite loving the peanut for its blades (and having stubbies) I have been opting more to get the case pen knife which is in 3 and 1/8th inch. it would have the same blades as a peanut which are great for whittling and other tasks, yet would have that extra length to make it comfortable to use while whittling. it would also be slimmer being a single spring which would be good to carry in my back pocket next to my wallet.

I have a pretty narrow range of traditionals that I own: between 3 1/3 and 3 7/8. Even with that range being said, at least 90% of my traditional knives are either 3 1/2 or 3 5/8. To me, that is the perfect size for easy carry with a decent sized blade(s).

I typically won't go below 3 3/4" but with 2 exceptions... the #15 GEC because it has excellent blade/handle ratio and the #66 GEC because it has the perfect aesthetics. ... I'm just barely able to get my 4 fingers on them. For the most part, I like the larger stuff though. The S&M Daddy Barlow and the S&M Large Coke Bottle have been some pocket favorites. Standard size trappers are a favorite of mine as well. I like knives that can take care of business on the cutting board as well as the more mundane stuff. Do I really need to carry the big boys? Probably not, but I love big sharp objects and I can, so why not?.... The peanut is my nemesis!

Hi Bjoern, I re-read your initial post along with your photo thread of your #81 (BTW, I appreciated your crude humor, but apparently others didn't). Anyway, a knife you might consider is the GEC #48 Western Trapper, or just the #48 slim dog leg if you prefer a thinner handle. The Northwoods Hawthorne is also built on the #48 frame. The #48 is 3 7/8", carbon steel, and I find it to be a very comfortable working knife. It also has good handle/blade ratio. I mentioned the Western Trapper because it's available in beautiful jig bone similar to your #81. It's the one on the far left in the photo.

thanks draggat for the recommendation, very beautiful knives, just drooled over a #48 african blackwood but unsure about the trapper pattern as i would like a knife with a smaller second blade (substanial one as the case texas jack-dont like the slim second blades on most gec jacks) and biggest concern-the #48 has half stops :(

My TC Barlows and my one #66 Moose are the smallest that I own. So I guess that if I really like the knife, 3.5" would be about as small as I would go.

I like my knives between 3.5" and 4.25", but the sweet spot for me is between 3 5/8 - 3 7/8 ...

Closed length is not everything though. I've traded some very beautiful single blade TC Barlows because they feel like toys in my hands (which are not bear mitts, but glove size lg/xl). Knife thickness is the reason I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the GEC 48, or the Northwoods Hawthorne that has been calling my name since its release.

Having hung out with some bushcrafters and knifemakers, my philosophy has become three is two, two is one and one is none. Now, I work in an office and live in a fairly heavily populated area. But, that saying has stuck. I usually have a peanut and a Tribal Spear or Lannys Clip or 73 in my pocket. Other than that, it is overkill unless I am hiking or camping, I usually have a one hander or fixed blade accompanying.

3 5/8" closed length is the sweet spot for me.
But I will carry anything from 3 1/2" to 4".

This is EXACTLY my preference.

I do have a couple of GEC #25s (WLSTs ;))that are now more collection pieces than carry/users. Their 3 inch length looks cute but feel too small even in my Asian hands.

Back