1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

what size do you prefer/carry

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Bjoern, Nov 9, 2014.

1. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I prefer larger knives usually a Case Large Stockman and a SAK Farmer or Pioneer. I like the size and feel of the 6375 Stockman and carry in suspended in a pocket slip (hanging from my belt into my RF pocket) and the SAK clipped into my LF pocket.

2. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    Between 3 3/8" - 3 9/16" is my sweet spot, and only carry one knife depending on the day. But I keep others in desks and cars just in case. Some days a 2 7/8" peanut is just fine. I carry a 3 7/8" split spring whittler or a 3 7/8" stockman at times too. I carry the 3 1/2" RR201 lock back with a damascus drop point blade quite often.

3. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I just got a large Case stockman in SS and Orange synthetic (delrin). It's a BIG pocketknife! Bigger than my Buck 301, but not as thick in the middle. I love them both, and often carry one or the other in my left cargo pocket. Not as comfortable as a medium stockman, but everything is a trade off. For traditionals, I generally prefer a pocketknife from SAk Executive size on up to a medium stockman. But I like how the large stockman, at least the Case, has nice, wide, thinly-ground blades. Thanks to cargo pockets, I can carry a large stockman with little discomfort.

Jim

4. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    Depends on what I'm doing with the knife. Most of the time, a Peanut is just fine.... all around 3.5" is probably ideal, but I find I really like something about 3.25" and yet I still often carry my 4.25" Case 6375.

5. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    Big.

3" minimum for blades. Handles out in the 4" range. Opinel #9 and Buck 500 add the two most common. Larger blade is better for food prep for me. Larger handle fits my hand better.

I have several smaller knives I really love but I can't carry them. Just too frustrating.

6. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    In my pocket I prefer a multiblade knife with a 2-7/8" length main blade. Nothing really larger. Like a junior stockman, peanut, baby butterbean, etc.

7. AreBeeBee

AreBeeBee

Sep 3, 2013
    The determining factor most days is the size of he jeans watch pocket. I can fit a Buck 112 into it, but that's really the limit. Usually, it's a Wenger SI or an Ulster Boy Scout camper, which are each 3-3/4 inches (95 mm) or less.

8. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    3 3/4" is that sweet spot for me.
    I do not mind something a little smaller but not larger with 4 inch my upper limit.

9. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    91mm to 93mm is the perfect size for me.

10. link2derek

link2derek

Oct 8, 2010
    I'm really liking this combo - a small 3-blade whittler (about 3.25" closed) and a medium-large single-blade lockback (4.25" closed):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tons of capabilities with those 2 knives (4 blades) in my pocket!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. rarreola

rarreola

Dec 4, 2010
    3" to 3.75"

12. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I like big folders. 4+ inches closed are just dandy with me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  13. mostho

mostho

Mar 5, 2007
    Altough I can carry up to 4"...Perfection is 3 5/8" closed.
    I can carry everywhere and overall in my watch pocket. I prefer discrete carry.

14. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    Less than 4" closed for all folders that I carry. All others greater than 4" closed are just collector/investment pieces.

15. JSutter

JSutter Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2013
    For pocket, two blade max with closed lengths of 2 7/8" to 3 1/2" is about right, up to 3 7/8". 4 1/2" can work but may be more of a belt carry.