WHAT SIZE FOLDER DO YOU CARRY?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tactical:
Hello and greetings!
biggrin.gif
I was just curious as to what size blades people who carry folders prefer. Does any one actually carry 6 inch Vaquero Grandes around? I assume most people's folders are between 3 and 4 inches. Have you ever felt self-conscious carrying a larger folder? Or have you ever wished your daily carry folder was larger? I used to carry 4 inch folders myself, but am scaling back to 3 inch folders mostly because of P.C.
frown.gif
Thanx in advance for your input and be careful out there!
smile.gif
</font>

I tend to carry kn ives with smaller blades, unless I know I will need something longer. In fact I prefer pocketknives to folders. A 2 1/2 to 3" blade is fine for most of what I need.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tactical:
Hello and greetings!
biggrin.gif
I was just curious as to what size blades people who carry folders prefer. Does any one actually carry 6 inch Vaquero Grandes around? I assume most people's folders are between 3 and 4 inches. Have you ever felt self-conscious carrying a larger folder? Or have you ever wished your daily carry folder was larger? I used to carry 4 inch folders myself, but am scaling back to 3 inch folders mostly because of P.C.
frown.gif
Thanx in advance for your input and be careful out there!
smile.gif
</font>

Along with my 3 inch Medium plain-edge Clip-Point Cold Steel Voyager (my "user-knife"), I also carry either my 5 inch Extra-LARGE plain-edge Clip-Point Voyager, or my 5 inch Cold Steel Gunsite. NO "problems".
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Daily carry is between 3.5 and 4"

AFCK
LCC DA
BM 750
SPY Military

Just been down the road with my dog and yes I did carry me CS Vaq Grande in my inside jacket pocket (Black leather trench coat)

Look where I live...
wink.gif

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

I carry a 3 3/4 inch REKAT or a 4 inch Spyderco.
smile.gif

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

My knives fall between 2"-4". Nothing over 4", just for legal reasons. Of course total edge length of all my knives I carry would be around 12" or so.
smile.gif

Blades

I mostly carry something in the 3" range. Mainly a Spyderco Native, or Calypso Jr. or Delica for a change of pace. When traveling where I don't know the laws I carry a Dragonfly.

Paul

right now i am carrying my new Rekat Pioneer II that i got today in the mail. this is about the size knife i usually carry(at the least, anyway) and now i have one heavy duty tank of a knife.

------------------
Sean

Large enough to use comfortably, small enough to carry comfortably.

Do I feel self concious carrying an XL - 5" bladed folder? I don't carry this size all the time, but when I do, no way.

As you can see to the left, I live in Oregon, and for the most part, you can carry sheath knives, and even balisongs in full view, and no one really looks twice. Pretty cool state to reside in if you love knives.

------------------
"When loss and gain are alike to one, that is real gain.."

[This message has been edited by Kwaiken56 (edited 02-13-2001).]

Anything the size of the Spyderco Military or larger becomes uncomfortable when I sit, so doesn't get carried much. I'm 5'-11" to complete the relevance picture.

Stuff in the range of AFCK 800 and BM 710 are fine to carry and sit in a chair with, in my front jeans pocket routinely

I carry from 3" to 4" daily.

In jeans, 3-1/2" to 4".

In khaki's or dress pants, from 3" to 3-1/2" mostly because I don't always clip to pocket for discretion and longevity of slacks.

For dress with sport or suit coat, a small folder and/or a Bud Nealy MCS Pesh Kabz is the deal. No doubt. An upside-down-suspended Kesh Kabz, etc, inside coat pocket is very discrete, very accessible, and just such a fine, truly comfortable and concealable design on Bud's part. Kudos to Bud.

Along this line, I'll soon own an RJ Martin Kozuka which allows similar carry.

By the way, for ordinary/utility tasks, there isn't much reason for anything past 3-1/2" IMO. Since legal limits, God forbid I should have to defend myself, are at 4" in my state, that is my max carry. YMMV. So might your tolerance for large/illegal blades. I also have a concealed carry permit.

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 02-13-2001).]

Ever since I started carrying my BM 710 (3.9") I just can't force myself to go back to a smaller blade. I've tried to leave it at home and clip on a smaller blade but haven't yet made it out the door without replacing it with my 710. Given as it is a little longer than the law allows, I also carry a Leatherman Wave with 2- 2.5" blades on my weak side and keep the 710 in my pocket when in unfamiliar territory.

------------------
We gave you a chance to water the plants. We didn't mean that way, now zip up your pants! -Shel Silverstein

While I have carried a large lock-blade (Schrade LB7) in the past, I'm trying to travel lighter. My carry favorite has evolved over the years and I'm finally down to a Victorinox Cadet (very slim, 2.5" blade, 3.25" closed). But on any given day I also might have an old favorite or two with me.

Good folders about 3" is just FINE!!
biggrin.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...
AKTI Member #A001148

BM 710HS 3.9" (I think)
Small Sebenza 2.9"

4" is about as big as I'll go with a folder. I've got a couple of fixed blades around 5" that I carry sometimes, too.

I like `em 3 /12 to 4".
4" is enough blade to do most pocket knife chores. I have a Hubertus auto with a 6" blade, but it is really a melon knife. It is not too big to be uncomfortable and you can find a sharp spot on it without re sharpening often.

I wear a MT SOCOM D/A most of the time.

I have a Vaquero Grande. I use it for pruning.

Back