What Steel Holds an Edge the LONGEST?

Anthony,
Have you developed any theories or possible explanations for why S125V doesn't take an edge very well?

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

<CENTER><font size="18" color="#FF0000">WARNING!!!</font></CENTER>

Do not open any email from Tom Mayo: He has perfected Mayonite, or at least the Mayonite bomb!

I opened an email from him titled "UPRICK". Couldn't figure out what he meant... And now I have Mayonite, the famous steel used by Hellmann's to cut the Mayonnaise all over the inside of my monitor!

I may have to drill some holes in it to clean it...
smile.gif

Michael

------------------
He who has smelt the smoke is never free again...

[This message has been edited by C4 (edited 12-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by C4 (edited 12-15-2000).]

Rob, I guess that would be Adamantium or Mithril, gee what about Iron?
wink.gif

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Iron? Why didnt I think of that. How about something not quite so boring, like diamond or somrthing.
smile.gif

Diamond? Now thats just being plain silly!

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Getting back to the topic, how does wootz compare with some of the steels mentioned?

Well general, how about cooking up something new like you suggest? I wonder if this is possibe....Is it doable?

TiC 33%
C 0.75%
Cr 13.5%
Mo 3.0%
Fe Balance

Never said I was an expert. You are the knife man, you tell me!
wink.gif

I would like to see a steel like this however...

Chrome 14%
Tungsten 7%
Carbon 1.20%
Vanadium 7%
Cobolt 3%
Rest=Iron.

Now that would work!
smile.gif

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Hey guys -- It sounds like you are looking for those two new alloy steels just coming out. The first one is called Unobtanium, and the other is unbelieveubym. New from crucible steel.

To strive to seek to find and not to yeild!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif

Like the man said!

W.A.

------------------
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Tom,
Ican only speak from my own experience which is some what limited in respect to your own.
However I have know forged three knives from 52100 for customers their feedback has lead me to believe that 52100 holds its edge very very well.The first one was a skinner for a deer hunter over here has has reported that he has skinned 19 deer and has not yet had to sharpen his knife,heis suitably impressed and has had me make a second one for his son.
The third knife is of a experiment but has been sold prior to completion and that is a 52100 filleting knife and I will be most interested to see how this one performs.
I hope this helps if not let me know you may
be able to send me in a better direction.
Rgards
Steve

hmm, i cant answer the question cos the only steels i have had experience are that cheapo 420J2 and the so so Aus 6, but i promise you, my collection will start to grow once i move out of home *and get a job*.

Anyway, i havnt noticed any replies saying modified INFI steel. Is that suddenly no good ? just wondering......

Daniel

I've done a lot of knife sharpening and dulling and for my money, in stock removal knives, I like ATS 34, 440V and dendritic steel as in the Boye knives. These all are in the sub MOA @ 100 yards category as far as I am concerned, as good as you and I probably need for practical reasons....

....but if you want braggin' good stuff you have to go hand forged by someone who KNOWS their business. There are some dem' fine knife makers out there using 52100 ball bearing steel to forge pocket knives that will cut through enough 1" manila rope to rig a Yankee Clipper. They just won't quit.

But I'm not a steel snob and have many knives of more common stock and in their favor they are easy to sharpen and whatever gets cut doesn't know the difference anyway.

Perhaps the real answer to which knife will stay sharpest longest it "the one which gets steeled most frequently"----but that's another subject.

------------------
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Daniel,
First off, you should see slightly better performance from regular INFI than from modified INFI. Secondly, you probably haven't seen it mentioned in this thread only because of the existance of steels like CPM-10V which offer wear resistance to an extreme degree (and sacrifice some toughness in the process). INFI's claim to fame is that it combines very good wear resistance with incredible toughness to boot, and that's a tough combination to achieve. So, if you were thinking about springing for an INFI blade, have no fear.
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Tom;
Your falling off the wagon, this swearing has to stop ! " W " calls them A holes !

Happy New Year
Floyd

Still doing tests on V4. Hopefully will get test reports and blades back soon. In shop test on rope cutting and 2X4 chopping tell me that it makes ATS-34 look as sharp as my vice handle. Out cuts D2 by at least 8 to 1 and out cuts and chops 52100 by 5 to 1. These test are with steels of 61-62 RC while the V4 was at 59RC. These are ONLY prelim. done on a weekend test. Furture long term test will be done soon.
But IT RUSTS!!!!

------------------
Robert
Flat Land Knife Works
rdblad@telusplanet.net
http://members.tripod.com/knifeworks/index.html

Back