What to do with Airman Sheath cord?

Hey guys, what do I do with the Airman sheath cord? Does it get wrapped around the sheath a certain way, or should I remove it for belt carry?

large.jpg

large.jpg

you dont need to use it. some of it holds the handle in place. the leg tie can be usefull though.

Sometimes it seems that the very hardest Randall sheath type to find is one with all the originals ties intact and in place....

99.9% of buyers typically (seem to) say, Hey, 'WTF are all these ties for', I don't get it; hmmm, so I'm gonna yank these useless thingies out and toss them away...the other .1% realize that not only does an 'as delivered' package add 10%+ value at time of resale, but that the ties are intended to secure the knife to the sheath, the sheath to the leg and belt, and/or the sheath/knife package to whatever gear you're carrying, providing that you're indeed carrying gear...

So, please, don't be a 99.9%er and toss the shop provided tiedowns; be special, be a .1%er and keep the package intact and original - future collectors will appreciate your thoughtfulness ;)

SKW

One, you can always put them back on just as they were. You dont even have to untie them. Second thing is their pretty useless. A jump proof leather sheath? LOL! The top one just goes around the handle and lets two long cords hang down. The bottom one I cant even remember but I think it just holds the handle down as well. No way you can deploy the knife with any real speed with that on.

I'll add to Sheldon's comment about the "as-delivered" junk to point out that it's not a bad idea to hang on to EVERYTHING that's delivered to you from the shop - the instruction sheet, butcher paper, even the box itself. It sounds dumb, but these things will increase the value of the knife as well.

Well I think most people do that. I dont think he would throw the thongs away but removing them isnt going to hurt anything. If hes not going to carry the knife I would leave em on.

OK thanks, guys, I hear you about leaving things intact. I was, however, planning to carry and use this thing. I don't consider it to be a rare collectible in need of such preservation, as I think the #15 is a fairly common knife. But set me straight. The version I have is a #15 CDT Solingen with custom-supplied green micarta border patrol handle. Should I keep this safe as a collectible, or carry and use it? I don't know how much this knife means to Randall collectors since I'm not into Randalls. So your opinion is much appreciated. Thanks!

OK thanks, guys, I hear you about leaving things intact. I was, however, planning to carry and use this thing. I don't consider it to be a rare collectible in need of such preservation, as I think the #15 is a fairly common knife. But set me straight. The version I have is a #15 CDT Solingen with custom-supplied green micarta border patrol handle. Should I keep this safe as a collectible, or carry and use it? I don't know how much this knife means to Randall collectors since I'm not into Randalls. So your opinion is much appreciated. Thanks!

use it. just take the cords off. you can always put em back on.

If you have a Solingen bladed #15 CDT, it's a late '80's, early '90's modified RMK commonly known as a 'Solingen Fighter', and depending on the condition and options it has a value of ~$100/$200 over that of a standard Model #15 knife - and yes, it has collector value as an item of interest. I'd like to see pics, and buy it from you if possible. If you'd prefer a standard or optioned RMK of similar age or current production, let me know what options you're looking for and I'll find/trade you for your knife...

To take yours out and use it would be much like me taking an original unused Jody Samson or Pacific Cutlery balisong out and 'using it', just to do so. Sure, it's still going to have value down the road, just maybe not as much - as a collector, I'm sure you can relate...:eek:

If you're going to keep it, and want to know more about the development history, may I recommend Bob Gaddis' wonderful RMK book 'Randall Made Knives - The History of the Man and the Blades'...if you want to know more about the production years, variations, numbers made, and options - then I'd recommend my book, 'Randall Knives - A Reference Book'...I've been told that both make for a pretty good read. :cool:

Shel

I traded a mint #1 for a used skinner (forget the model) and $50 just so had a knife that I would use more and wouldn't feel bad about using.

Plus, the #1 just wasn't my thing.

Something to ponder. I would say what you have is a bit more than a std 15.

I have a new one on my armor here that has been a real comfort! Not new now but I got it new planning to use it.

If you have a Solingen bladed #15 CDT, it's a late '80's, early '90's modified RMK commonly known as a 'Solingen Fighter', and depending on the condition and options it has a value of ~$100/$200 over that of a standard Model #15 knife - and yes, it has collector value as an item of interest. I'd like to see pics, and buy it from you if possible. If you'd prefer a standard or optioned RMK of similar age or current production, let me know what options you're looking for and I'll find/trade you for your knife...

To take yours out and use it would be much like me taking an original unused Jody Samson or Pacific Cutlery balisong out and 'using it', just to do so. Sure, it's still going to have value down the road, just maybe not as much - as a collector, I'm sure you can relate...:eek:

If you're going to keep it, and want to know more about the development history, may I recommend Bob Gaddis' wonderful RMK book 'Randall Made Knives - The History of the Man and the Blades'...if you want to know more about the production years, variations, numbers made, and options - then I'd recommend my book, 'Randall Knives - A Reference Book'...I've been told that both make for a pretty good read. :cool:

Shel

Thanks for all the info, Shel. I am interested in reading your book and Gaddis', but honestly, they are both a bit out of my price range since I'm not big into these knives. I posted a pic of mine. Perhaps you can tell me what you think of it and its value, and I can make a decision whether to use it or not based on that. Thank you

Shel:

That looks a lot like an ST/NST grind on the blade. Were all the Solingen knives made like that, or is that something unusual?

Beautiful knife. If I had that kind of money just laying around right now, I'd buy it too.

Samael, only the 'Solingen Fighter' Solingen variants were ground with the sharpened upper edge as shown...

Balislinger, you wrote "Perhaps you can tell me what you think of it..." I think it's an early 1990's RMK Solingen Fighter in excellent condition and tastefully executed - and as such, a knife that I'd like to add to my RMK collection.:cool:

The JS/PC analogy I used above was spot on as a comparison for this knife. No, personally, I wouldn't use it - IMO, it has more value as a collectors piece than as a user. To wit; you can order, or have ordered, a new RMK #15 in literally hundreds of different configrations...but they won't be making any more like yours.

Nice knife, and if it's a user knife that you're looking for, new or old, let me know what you'd like in cash or trade, and if within reason, I'll see what I can do...heck, I may even be willing to throw a signed copy of our book into the mix as well ;)

Edited to add - the Solingen Fighter Model #14 & #15 variants were made and sold between late 1987 and mid 1994. The aluminum spacers first saw (reintroduced) common use in mid 1990; green Micarta wasn't cataloged until 1999, but RMK dealer Tom Clinton was providing it as an optional handle material for at least five years prior...so in retrospect, IMO, unless Shop rehandled, this particular SF knife, was probably made towards the end of the production run...

Last edited:
Any idea how many were made like this and what it's worth? I am really tempted to use it, but want to be respectful, depending on how uncommon it is and its value. Thanks

PLEASE don't use it. I'm not an expert on value (Sheldon has me beat - hands down), but I'd guess you're in the $700 to $750 range on this. You've got a gorgeous, semi-rare, mint condition knife. Don't screw it up.

SubaruSTI, you are correct, the RMK Shop supplied green Micarta is linen - whereas this knife wears customer supplied green canvas Micarta...

Bali, I've owned five Solingen Fighters, all have had unique handles, in fact, all Solingen Fighters variants that I've seen to date had unique handles; likely because most of these were customer ordered specials or shop 'one off's' - I've never seen another like yours.

IMO, Samael is right with regards to potential resale value. Yet, because there are so many market variables, including the current economy, number of competitive bidders in an auction format, etc. - and so few of these sold, it would obviously be hard to nail down an absolute price.

That said, I've paid between $450 and $650 per for each that I've owned to date. Yours is nicer than any I've owned so far, so I'd consider paying a small premium to add it to my collection - hell, it's nice enough that I'd include it in my next book :cool:

Hope that helps,

Shel

Just for shits and giggles, I just ordered a 15 from the shop today. BCP grind (top edge sharpened), N/S squared single hilt, N/S butt cap, stag w/finger grips, and all black spacers. It'll be a beauty too . . . Five years from now. Argh!

"I just ordered a 15 from the shop today." Aye, and it sounds like a nicely optioned one too!:thumbup:

Back