What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

#81 Coon Skinner

0EK1rLG.jpg

Great picture.
I love how the light makes the wood come alive 😊.

Thank you, Gary!!! It looks like your ready for some good eat'n with the help of that cool Vic folding paring knife! :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. :) A summer sausage log like that lasts me quite awhile, since I usually eat only 8-12 thin slices per week. And I highly recommend that Vic folding paring knife to everyone!! An almost-perfect folding knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Wards Cattle knife and a TC Barlow !
Another Killer Kattle Knife and fabulous fall photo, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have this one in my pocket today :

Then this one was delivered to me from one of my Daughters .

One similar to what my very old ancestors carried and made in the old country and somewhat recommended by @Magizm7 .

Harry
Congrats on two impressive new knives, Harry! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

... Today’s knives. My uncle just gave me the old time today it’s a reeeallly nice stockman! I like it.
Congrats on the 8OT from your uncle, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Can't forget a little holiday decorating in the shop :thumbsup:
X9HeWk.jpg
I've heard that some people have skeletons in their closet, Paul, but you have them in your workshop! 🤓 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Had a great day of golf with some old friends. I had this Cadet with me. Perfect for golf, thin and light in the pocket. 😊🏌️‍♂️...
Sounds like fun, Todd! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I gave up golf several years ago, but I still have a red Cadet like yours that I'm unlikely to give up!

Hope everyone had a good weekend :) Starting my week with my Hartshead Barlow, and a special knife I've posted about here :thumbsup:
Your stag HHB and the special clasp knife give you an auspicious start for the week, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Trusty trio of tools, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that Coast light one of the "inspection light" models? I was looking at a Coast inspection light (G20, I think) in the hardware section of Meijer this morning. I liked the uniform lighting across the circular beam, but I have no idea whether they'd serve well as a "general use" flashlight. Are you happy with yours?

That wonderful whittler is wolf whistle worthy!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not long to Halloween...👻💀...
Looks like you're more than ready with the coffin jack, coffin-shaped slip, and grim reaper coin!! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

First look at my garden after being gone for a week. 54 Big Jack, and Wenger Soldier.

I’ll likely go in and add a hawk or #10 Opinel when it comes time to gather stuff for supper. Lettuces, spinach and snow peas look to have managed just fine without me.
Glad to hear your garden survived without your constant attention, Jeff. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I was fixing a plate of nacho chips a couple of days ago, and planned to shred up some lettuce to put on top of the chips, cheese, peppers, ground turkey, beans, and salsa. But I discovered that my long-neglected store-bought romaine lettuce had converted itself into some sort of lettuce soup in the fridge.:( But I went out to the even longer neglected raised beds in the back yard and harvested some volunteer lettuce that had self-propagated over the summer, so everything worked out! 🤓 (I harvested some lettuce using a serrated paring knife; is that a bad idea for the plant's future welfare?)

Quality quartet Gary, it's cool you still have your first pocket knife :) :thumbsup:

Carrying an odd couple today, a @jsdistin re-built Lambsfoot, gifted to me by @Reaper AL , and a Random Tuesday RR 'Half Hawk' in carbon and denim micarta :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. I'm really glad I still have my first knife! :)
I like the looks of your denim micarta carbon half-hawk! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I may have to hunt one of those down at my current favorite RR dealer.

Today with this Victorinox alox old cross.
Such a classic beauty, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks Gary, a couple of my neighbours have quince trees, but those crab apples were only the size of a large berry, grown more for their appearance rather than to eat I think, though they are edible. I wasn't familiar with them, and had to look them up, they're known as Golden Hornet. We don't mind waiting for you over there my friend! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks again Gary :) I also like to cook with different types of sausage :) :thumbsup:
Do your neighbors consume their quince fruit? We didn't get much fruit from our bush this year, compared to many previous years, but we rarely eat them anyway. (I'll bet a quince would be invincible for the conkers game! ;) )

I seem to be stuck in a "week behind" time warp with the Guardians thread. If I can ever catch up again, I have an interplanetary lambsfoot adventure I'd like to share! 😲 😁

Thanks Gary 5K Qs 5K Qs , it feels much better to me and is more enjoyable to use and carry. I’d love to see that RR tobacco none family photo. 😉👍
:cool::thumbsup::cool:

I was just examining my scout knife it’s in remarkable condition,no idea how old it is.
I may give it away to scout or guide if I hear of one in my circle.

Splendid old Richards knife, Johnny! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
On my side of the pond, I doubt if anyone would call it a scout knife, but there's no arguing with the blade etch!! 🤓

We all have different systems for choosing a pair. These two aren't quite as complementary, but they seem to be compatible.
MzZheSd.jpg

I admit the only true connection may be that I saw them hanging near each other at the hardware store and noticed the same yellow color on the packaging. 🤔
Dandy, if daintily dilapidated, dark duo, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, it lives on a pedastal on my desk.

Very cool, and well deserved, John!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

John's fabulous showing of sheepfoot jacks inspired me to pocket this one today.

tt1QLpz.jpg

Those curved "Tobacco" Bulldog Barlows are superb, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks, JJ. :) A summer sausage log like that lasts me quite awhile, since I usually eat only 8-12 thin slices per week. And I highly recommend that Vic folding paring knife to everyone!! An almost-perfect folding knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
That sound great! I'll keep an eye out for a Vic Paring knife as it sounds mighty useful! :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Still just basically sitting around the house but I can still carry a very nice knife around . Re-Cycled photos . I did get out long enough to finalize the installation of a Whole-House Generator which was 30 Weeks from ordering it .

Like this knife a lot . You folks designed a Great One . Thank You Very Much .

Harry

Very cool, and well deserved, John!!
Thank you, GT. :)
I did get out long enough to finalize the installation of a Whole-House Generator which was 30 Weeks from ordering it .
At least the generator will be ready for the Winter.
Glad you are starting to move around more. Keep getting stronger, my friend.

Glad to hear your garden survived without your constant attention, Jeff. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I was fixing a plate of nacho chips a couple of days ago, and planned to shred up some lettuce to put on top of the chips, cheese, peppers, ground turkey, beans, and salsa. But I discovered that my long-neglected store-bought romaine lettuce had converted itself into some sort of lettuce soup in the fridge.:( But I went out to the even longer neglected raised beds in the back yard and harvested some volunteer lettuce that had self-propagated over the summer, so everything worked out! 🤓 (I harvested some lettuce using a serrated paring knife; is that a bad idea for the plant's future welfare?)

- GT
I am assuaging any potential feelings of being non-essential to the prosperity of my vegetables by reminding myself that there were some decent rains while we were gone.😗
I’ve had a lot of luck having greens regrow as long as I leave the crown in the ground. Although the ignomy of being brutally dismembered by a serrated paring knife instead of a lovingly sharpened hawkbill pruner will no doubt stunt any regrowth!

But your concoction sounds delicious.

Last edited:
Still just basically sitting around the house but I can still carry a very nice knife around . Re-Cycled photos . I did get out long enough to finalize the installation of a Whole-House Generator which was 30 Weeks from ordering it .

Like this knife a lot . You folks designed a Great One . Thank You Very Much .

Harry
I concur on the success of these folks in designing this knife!
I think a whole house generator is a wise move! Did you go with gasoline, diesel, propane or natural gas?

Ok, as I’ve maybe mentioned before, I am not a collector. An accumulator maybe...
But I will use any knife in my drawer.
So, I put the forum barlow to work on my supper. Chicken breast with honey mustard dipping sauce, seared in cast iron in butter and olive oil, poblano peppers stuffed with cream and mozaralla cheezes, and cauliflower and pinapple slices with orange sauce grilled in a grilling basket on the grill.

ONE or more of those foods really spotted up the blade. In an attractive patina kind of way. I’ll show y’all in tomorrow’s photos in better light.

Here’s an action shot...831F6108-A51E-47E9-85FC-43E1FA603B9D.jpeg

I concur on the success of these folks in designing this knife!
I think a whole house generator is a wise move! Did you go with gasoline, diesel, propane or natural gas?
I went with the Cummins Natural Gas unit . It is supposed to come on 10 seconds after the Electric Power goes Off . Many years ago , I worked for Cummins in Columbus , Indiana , so I still have a soft spot for them , but according to the Reviews that I read , they were the best and cost was just a small amount more . Everything in the complete PROCESS went exactly as Quoted . Our problem with an Electric Outage is our basement Sump Pump , which has not been a problem this year , but has in the past .
Harry

Trusty trio of tools, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that Coast light one of the "inspection light" models? I was looking at a Coast inspection light (G20, I think) in the hardware section of Meijer this morning. I liked the uniform lighting across the circular beam, but I have no idea whether they'd serve well as a "general use" flashlight. Are you happy with yours?
Inspection BEAM, Please! According to Llamaland, anyway. I got the impression from the description that there are standards for inspection beams, which was news to me, because I thought it was a flashlight.
Yes, I like it. It's small and lightweight, it's bright, it doesn't turn itself on in my pocket. [I just double-checked. It is bright.]

bigfish64 bigfish64
Todd that’s a sweet pairing and I was going to ask for a blade shot of the spear barlow (both spear and clip look mawvellous by the way) yet seen it in the W.Wed. thread instead :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you Gus. Those Boker Clubs are so sweet, a little pricey, but worth it to me. 👍
Sounds like fun, Todd! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I gave up golf several years ago, but I still have a red Cadet like yours that I'm unlikely to give up!

- GT
The way I play golf most of the time, I probably should give it up too Gary! 😄👍

Back