What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Stropped it earlier today, ready for another week of whatever needs cut.
CIImYB8l.jpg

Thanks Dean! Nice double dose of Orange Alox you have today! :)

Thanks, Ron!

That is a great knife, Jack! :thumbsup: I gave mine to my son many years ago. :(

That orange Alox pair is very cheerful! :cool: Thanks for the kind words on the scrimshaw, and I see what you did there! :D

Also a weird but wonderful little whittler and a marlin spike, both from Rough Rider:
CiN6uR5.jpg

- GT

Thanks, Gary! Your RR marlinspike looks cool.

Carried my ole Catt today. Have a great holiday everyone !

10er95t.jpg

A superb carry, Rob. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm heading out early am, with these two in my pockets :) :thumbsup:

Two excellent knives, Jack!

For Memorial Day, I decided on my overall favorite carry knife.

Jack, two great ones to spend your day with! Hope it's a good one for you my friend!:)

Dean, your TC and your photo leave absolutely nothing to say but WOW! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is Memorial Day, after all!

PatriotCuban_zpsc21e022f.jpg~original

Jeff, your choice of that #53 is very fitting on this day filled with patriotism. But it is a terrific pattern and a beautiful knife for any day of the year! :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I perhaps didn't explain that very well, but the steel doesn't seem to hold a patina as well as some other carbon steels. Much the same with D2 tool steel, you can force a patina, but it seems to sit right on the surface, and is easily wiped off again. That's my experience anyway :thumbsup:
Thanks my friend, nice Clasp/Rigger's Knife :thumbsup:
Thanks for the explanation, Jack; I haven't noticed similar "symptoms" with my Joker, but I'm not the most observant kid on the block. And thanks for the compliment on my RR Rigger. :)

I went with these two today.

drsALw9l.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Ken K.
Intriguing pair, Ken! :cool: What model SAK is that little guy with the wickedly-serrated blade?

Ive been industrious.Built this RR large lock back.In typical meako fashion I ran blindly into a couple of problems.
...But all up not bad for a first attempt. The new wood really lifts it.
Its aliiive.:)
View attachment 714012
Congrats, meako; looks good to go! :cool: I've thought about trying my hand (actually, both of my decidedly unhandy hands) on a "roll-your-own" kit like that, but I think I may try one of Case's wooden knife kits before trying an actual working knife.

Carried my ole Catt today. Have a great holiday everyone !

10er95t.jpg
Fantastic to see you, your resplendent Catt, and your ol' photo board on The Porch for the holiday, Primble! :thumbsup:

Nice word play "deer" sir, lol and thank you :). The custom survived the bbq unscathed. Lately I am really drawn to knives with white handles for some reason, your RR is certainly a looker :thumbsup:
Thanks, Tom. I have no prior experience with a knife like that, so I'm hoping to learn some lessons! ;)

My two for today :)

I don't remember if you've paired these two in the past, but you've certainly carried each of those knives quite often lately, and I can understand why! :cool:

Let me know if you're getting tired of seeing this one yet...I forced a little patina, really makes the lamination on the main "pop" :)

~Chip
Chip, I'm kind of tired these days, but NOT tired of seeing that remarkable Ohta whittler! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have enjoyed carrying the GEC #18 Beagle. It has been a surprise favorite EDC. The small sheepsfoot blade is perfect for laying out dovetails.

View attachment 714178

View attachment 714177
Thanks for the Beagle testimonial, Curtis! :cool: Until now, I haven't considered the Beagle very seriously, but you're not the first whose opinion I respect who's given that little hound a glowing report. :thumbsup:

A Queen in buffalo horn with me today.

I always admire that buffalo scout, Tom, but I think this is the first time I noticed clouds racing across the surface of the covers! :cool:

These today.

heDYbrdl.jpg

Have a good one!
Ken K.
Pt-Luso and Ken, I'm always impressed by the red old cross Alox models, but today I think I'm even more impressed by the stellar Barlows you gentlemen have paired them with! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Terrific TC, Pt-Luso!! And, Ken, that vintage Camillus 2-blade Barlow is a dream come true!!

Jack, your congress jack is the epitome of ebony elegance! :thumbsup:

Got the Opinel and 12OT working on the house today.View attachment 714327
Lovely lanyard on your Opinel, Woodrow! :cool:

Stropped it earlier today, ready for another week of whatever needs cut.
CIImYB8l.jpg
rockman, your Lloyd is luxurious!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Gary! Your RR marlinspike looks cool.

Great choice for today, Dean! :cool:
Thanks for the marlin spike comment. I've never had this pattern before, so I'll have to learn what its capabilities are. It has a big sturdy sheepsfoot blade, and I have some experience with that, but I'm clueless about uses of the locking spike. I feel kind of foolish using it to untie my shoe laces! :rolleyes:

It is Memorial Day, after all!

PatriotCuban_zpsc21e022f.jpg~original
Perfect patriotic choice, Jeff! :thumbsup:

My wife may be out of town, but we still eat well. We divided tasks: I cut the steak while she smashed the banana into a paste and put it in her ears.

Macchina, I commend you on recognizing that kids should be assigned some specific chores at a young age!! :D:D
Definitely looks like you two are eating well!

I usually load up my scheduled knives for the week early Monday morning (or occasionally Sunday evening), but since today's a holiday, I'm waiting until tomorrow to get back on the schedule. Instead, one more day with knives that are relatively new to me and haven't been put into the rotation yet.
A Spanish folder that my daughter got me in Toledo:
ly9Cjyk.jpg

Buck 303 (thanks, Clay):
nENm3H2.jpg

African blackwood 77 Barlow (thanks for the GAW, Jake):
JIzw1XV.jpg

Rough Rider Masonic canoe:
xPaKt91.jpg

- GT

Thanks for the marlin spike comment. I've never had this pattern before, so I'll have to learn what its capabilities are. It has a big sturdy sheepsfoot blade, and I have some experience with that, but I'm clueless about uses of the locking spike. I feel kind of foolish using it to untie my shoe laces! :rolleyes:
My RR Marlin Spike is my favorite homebrew beermaking knife. The blade opens bags of grain, and the spike does a decent job as an ice-pick, breaking up bagged ice.

Pt-Luso and Ken, I'm always impressed by the red old cross Alox models, but today I think I'm even more impressed by the stellar Barlows you gentlemen have paired them with! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Terrific TC, Pt-Luso!! And, Ken, that vintage Camillus 2-blade Barlow is a dream come true!!

Thank you "5K Qs", yes I agree are two stunning knives !!!

Back