What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Didn’t think to get a pic while working, but these two helped me cut the plastic, cut the cardboard and unpack/unload the motor and trans for the hot rod. Obligatory pic of hot rod parts too lol

View attachment 850650

- mmm, bet that burbles like a beastie :cool: Took my Harley out for first spin of the year today, nice to hear that engine again after a long cold break - but won't sound as good as that one!

Looking good Rachel :thumbsup:
It's great to see Enso Neckers in this thread.
Your brace of Bökers is beguiling, r8shell, but I've lost touch with reality and refuse to acknowledge any fixed blades! ;):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks! I've been in the habit of carrying a modern folder clipped to my pocket in addition to the traditional pocketknives. Now, more often than not, I'm carrying an Enzo Necker instead. With a small lanyard, the sheath hangs upright in the pocket and I can include it in my daily "totin' pictures. :D
Today, it's accompanying a large A.Wright Lambfoot and a small Boker Congress.

Don't go mad, GT! I know you're afraid if you acquire one fixed blade, you'll fall down the collecting rabbit hole. So far, I've managed to avoid that fate. I bought two Enzos: one scandi-grind in curly birch and one flat-grind in olive wood, and I am not fixated yet. :p

Enzo and lambfoot.jpg Boker congress slip.jpg

This Camillus has become my second most carried knife. Had it with me at the old nursery this morning.
f5oElCJ.jpg

Wow. You got some gorgeous stag on that one!!!

I’ve shelved my scouts for now, and will be carrying the Shuffler for the time being. This is a really fantastic knife.

What?!?!?That's like Mr.Black not having a lambsfoot on him.o_O

Jeff, that's a superb pair of folders! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The EO teardrop especially drives me batty! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks, GT! I think it's going to stay in my pocket for awhile.

You know, when I was a kid, I learned not to say "That drives me crazy" around my Dad. He always answered "That's not a drive, that's a putt.";)

Last edited:
Until I started frequenting The Porch, I'd never heard of Olsen knives. I think they were made near where I live! I'd welcome more pics, although they might put bats in my belfry! ;)

GT, from what little research I have been able to follow, the Olsen Knife Company was founded by Lee Olsen, Jr, in Howard City, MI (pop. 1,500) in 1950 (though it may have sprung from the Lee Knife Co. founded in Flint River, MI in 1940, which took over the Joslin - formerly Hudson - Knife Co. in Howard City). It was operated by Lee Olsen until it burned in 1978. Fixed blade hunting knives were the primary products and they became pretty famous (on a Randall made level). All knives were made by Olsen in Howard City until he started contracting for knives out of Solingen in 1970. After the 1978 fire, a group from Grand Rapids purchased the name in 1980 and sold knives from Solingen and Japan (and some say from Schrade) from 1982 until 1985.

My knife, the OK511, is one of the occasional folders that Olsen made, The "H.C., MI. 511" tang stamp tells me that it was made in Howard City sometime before the fire. It has a great little blade, is 3.5" closed, and is as strong as a bulldog. It came with a nice leather belt sheath (which I have with another OK511 and sheath).

LYamhUr.jpg

- Stuart

GT, from what little research I have been able to follow, the Olsen Knife Company was founded by Lee Olsen, Jr, in Howard City, MI (pop. 1,500) in 1950 (though it may have sprung from the Lee Knife Co. founded in Flint River, MI in 1940, which took over the Joslin - formerly Hudson - Knife Co. in Howard City). It was operated by Lee Olsen until it burned in 1978. Fixed blade hunting knives were the primary products and they became pretty famous (on a Randall made level). All knives were made by Olsen in Howard City until he started contracting for knives out of Solingen in 1970. After the 1978 fire, a group from Grand Rapids purchased the name in 1980 and sold knives from Solingen and Japan (and some say from Schrade) from 1982 until 1985.

My knife, the OK511, is one of the occasional folders that Olsen made, The "H.C., MI. 511" tang stamp tells me that it was made in Howard City sometime before the fire. It has a great little blade, is 3.5" closed, and is as strong as a bulldog. It came with a nice leather belt sheath (which I have with another OK511 and sheath).

LYamhUr.jpg

- Stuart
Every time you post that I dive into Google searching for one. There's just something about it that rings my bell.

This is in Savannah, Georgia at a sort of wildlife park/educational center. They have demonstrations of things such as traditional woodworking, cane syrup making, sheep shearing, beekeeping, etc. A nice place to take the family for a weekend stroll.
That could be the actual Porch. Add a few chairs and an old Gibson leaning in the corner, and that’s exactly what I picture.

Where is it?

Back