What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

No this was from back in the 80s when his knives were made in Japan and he made Frost Wood/Zebra Wood/Pakawood scales famous.

At one time he had quality manufacturing facilities overseas and they made a great knife for a reasonable price.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Frost and Parker brands could be on some really nice knives that were fairly priced. Here are a Frost and a Parker from around the era you mention, holding their own with a Valley Forge.

mSYcAkP.jpg

pkWh90N.jpg

OxzVkhg.jpg

Ah, the old days.
- Stuart

Enjoying a beautiful day, good afternoon to allView attachment 996101
South bound on the lower miss with an empty gas barge and diesel bargeView attachment 996107
All that’s missing is a pair of dice, and you could be channeling (pun intended)
some Proud Mary...

Ro-ollin,
Ro-ollin,
Rollin on the river

I know a guy and his son, Big Bosco, and Little Bosco, who pilot the boats through the tricky waters around Nawlins. It’s in their blood and they love it.

@5K Qs Said:
“Hey, we had exactly the same phenomenon at the same time on our side of Lake Michigan. :( The morning after the onset of the onslaught, one got between my eye and glasses while I was making breakfast. I stuck my finger in there to chase it out, and when I went to brush my teeth later, I found a bruise that lasted over a week. I guess I've officially entered geezerhood where I bleed/bruise with the slightest provocation! :p

Yeah, I get that on the backs of my hands, bump a branch, and get a big purple spot.
But one time, I had a smoking hot .45 shell bounce off the ceiling of my range booth that landed under my shooting glasses and just laid there under my eye sizzling away. Looked just like your photo.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Frost and Parker brands could be on some really nice knives that were fairly priced. Here are a Frost and a Parker from around the era you mention, holding their own with a Valley Forge.

mSYcAkP.jpg

pkWh90N.jpg

OxzVkhg.jpg

Ah, the old days.
- Stuart
Great trio, Stuart !! Thanks for the look :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phenomenal pair, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Couple of more than likable knives, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Same pond in both photos? Different days? Top shot looks summery, but there seem to be fall colors in the lower one. :cool:

- GT

Thank you, Gary. I think the photos you are referring to were done at different ponds. We have several of those around here. :)

You seem to be a little gassy today, Willard. BTW, I understand the lacing of the lines on the cleats and stanchions to allow for "flex" between vessels, but what is the straight pipe/line between the two stern stanchions in the foreground?

Thanks, GT. Tidy and tight, nice and light.
- Stuart
The horizontal pipes on the stern of the barges are the pipelines for the product (to and from dock). There are wires (cable) breasting the barges together on the bow and stern of the barges. The line (rope)is for safety in case the boat gets knocked out of tow from the barges. Good day

What a fantastic knife Dwight :thumbsup:

You really captured the colours well there Gev :) Can't hear that one without thinking of Butch and Sundance! :D :thumbsup:

Terrific trio, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks pal, I ended up carrying a couple more too that day too! :D Made me think of you (of course), and about adding some braces (suspenders) to my belt, as I was pulling my britches up half the day! :D :thumbsup:

The renowned Double Lambsfoot day! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can't get enough of them GT! :D :thumbsup:

I put the Guardian's ebony back in pocket today, along with a pillow expressing my wife's sentiments at practically every moment of her life!

S2d9RbN.jpg

That's a great pic Jeff :) :thumbsup:

This Catt today. A Fathers day present from my son.
9KygxUZ.jpg

Very nice Mark :) :thumbsup:

mSYcAkP.jpg

pkWh90N.jpg

OxzVkhg.jpg

Ah, the old days.
- Stuart
Beautiful color tones on the covers of all 3 knives. I like all but especially the Valley forge.

#11 Barlow today

9UiXb6ah.jpg

This Catt today. A Fathers day present from my son.
9KygxUZ.jpg

Nice Camillus and Catt guys! :thumbsup:

Couldn’t decide what to carry today but since it’s micarta menefee monday... Along with the little Camillus pen I’ve been posting but didn’t want to show the same knife everyday. Have a nice evening guys!

The horizontal pipes on the stern of the barges are the pipelines for the product (to and from dock). There are wires (cable) breasting the barges together on the bow and stern of the barges. The line (rope)is for safety in case the boat gets knocked out of tow from the barges. Good day

I think the pipe he is referring to is just the white handrail fwd of the pilothouse window. Optical illusion.

BTW, this was my office view from 1988-1998. Sailed as 3rd Mate, 2nd Mate and Chief Mate.

rollers by hmr170, on Flickr

Back