What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Saturday with Mr. Bromfield

H7re4az.jpg

(the acorns are from a magnificent oak at the Vet school on the A&M University campus - very old)

stopped into a church
somewhere along the way
got down on my knees
and began to pray

E.C. Simmons Hardware peanut

Last edited:
In addition to my new Spanish knife (posted pics last night), I will be toting my wee staggie from Sheffield:
46751220792_61e758f342_h.jpg

It will remain one of my favorites. It feels so natural in the hand--very ergonomic.

And I am also going to give significant pocket time to another favorite:
45915692144_decb8d442e_h.jpg

A gift from @r redden: ebony GEC #15 "Huckleberry Boys Knife". I am rereading "Tom Sawyer" too, by the way. What a wonderful book!
This knife is not a Barlow, like the one mentioned in the book, but the same illustration is used on the knife's tube (although the book cover just has a detail). Ebony is such a great cover material, and that spear blade is perfect. A joy to carry & use.

What's a Scout without a Cap Lifter? :D
In this case, breathtaking, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks GT, I may have the opportunity to pick up another BB Winchester at our local knife show this weekend, we will see what they have. Love the electrician, great photo :thumbsup:
Thanks, Tom. :) That might be my best indoor photo, taken on the lid of our printer, with styrofoam take-out box sections as reflective backdrop, and an "ott-light" that my wife use for crafts. But she moved the ott-light somewhere else and threw out my styrofoam, so I'm still experimenting with indoor set-ups for photos. :rolleyes: Great to see your black BSK; I hope your knife show efforts pay off! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Admirable fiery stag on that Lloyd, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, GT, for both compliments. Loki is a few weeks over 2 years old; acts like he's 2 months old. He's really fitting in. The canoe in that sweet honey bone is captivating.
I'm totin' something simple today, simply because:
Loki just took a break from a tug-of-war with a dish towel to say "hi".
- Stuart
Thanks for sweet-talking my honey bone canoe, Stuart. :) Thanks, too, for the updates on Loki. If not for the dish towel lint on his face, I might have guessed he's too serious for tug of wars. ;) I like the bold spearing on your mystery Q knife. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Carrying these 2 today :
Taylors Eye Witness
And a C. Lutters LOEWEN MESSER ( Lions Knife )...
Harry
The blade stamps on those two vivacious vintage knives are highly desirable, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Elmer Keith (1889-1984) was a rancher (Salmon, Idaho), firearms innovator and renowned shooter, and writer. He wrote for numerous magazines (e.g., Guns and Ammo) and wrote numerous books on firearms, hunting, and Western life. He was, particularly, a handgunner and was instrumental in the development of the .357, .44, and , .41 magnum rounds (and the guns to fire them). ...
- Stuart
Thanks for the info on Elmer Keith, Stuart. :cool::cool::thumbsup: My only knowledge of him, and some of his early 20th century collaborators and rivals, is via thinly-disguised fictional characters that appear in gun-centric novels, most notably Pale Horse Coming, by Stephen Hunter. ;)

Today with SAK alox with old cross...
Such a pristine knife, Senhor José! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Morning folks :) Carrying these two today :thumbsup:
Both knives, natural ironwood lambsfoot and synthetic acrylic GEC #85, display similar artistic patterns in their handles, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Hope y’all have a great day! I’m carrying these two today! :)
Two vintage beauties, Ron! Sweatin' with the oldies! :D:thumbsup::cool:

Incredible stag congress (and watch), Gev! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Camco scout in buffalo horn, and a Case Texas Jack in bone.View attachment 1060052I managed to get a grainy shot of the yellow bellied sapsuckerView attachment 1060053
Be aware that the pair you share have such flair I hardly dare to wonder where, if life were fair, I might prepare to find them! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Carrying my original Plow today. The newer version is much nicer in fit and finish, but I must have been in the zone when reprofiling this one, it is probably the sharpest knife I own.
The handles on your first Plow and your black BSK are, IMHO, some of your best, Tom! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks GT, just overhead lighting in my basement and a little post editing :thumbsup:

Love that stag Canoe BTW !
I gotta remember that post editing includes more than just cropping and rotating, and might even save a lot of photos I delete for crummy lighting! Thanks for the canoe comment. :)

Wow! That is magnificent! Got the AG Russell catalogue. Lots of nice stuff in there at all price points. That is one good looking canoe!
I can see why, it's an amazing canoe, GT.
Thanks for the kind words about my knives GT .
I ma not sure about all of your other Canoes but my guess is that the Mohawk is the Most Appealing To The Eye . That is some nice looking Stag my friend .
Harry
Thanks, Vince & John & Harry, glad you can see what I see in it! ;)

Your Case 10-dot canoe with the canoe paddler blade etch is superb, @balor85! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Great photo of Black Adder, Jer! :thumbsup::):cool:

:)
View attachment 1060223

Me too GT. That knife is extraincredinificent!!!!!
...View attachment 1060224
Fantastic pic of your bird feeder, Dwight! :thumbsup::cool: (But you can probably turn off your sprinklers now that its getting cold. :))
Thanks for your positive reaction to my Mohawk canoe. :)
Your Kissing Cranes Congress is a Champ! :cool::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
I have never seen a Colonial electrician in bone, but I did see one on ebay like yours which was described as synthetic.

Either way, she’s fetching, and a keeper!
Thanks for the opinion, Jeff. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Definitely a keeper, if for no other reason that it's one of the few knives I have that I can consistently get sharp. :rolleyes: (They're almost all old Imperials and Colonials.)

A 2014 #66 in Stag covers, the Stag may not light up one's world but it's great in hand and I honestly like it, kinda creamy like:cool: bought from a forum member here on the porch...Thanks Mario:thumbsup:
...Also bracing for the upcoming (even colder) snap coming next week:eek:
Paul, I admire your generosity, but I sure wish you wouldn't pass on your cold weather for the next week! :(:thumbsdown: At least Lake Michigan hasn't frozen yet, so that should moderate the temps a little (although I'm planning to shovel a lot of lake effect snow in the next 7 days). :rolleyes:

Schrade Cut Co advertising knife today
Cool all-metal knife, Ernie! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Today I laid the Peanut down and picked up my 5OT.
5hbJucO.jpg
I admire you for giving the peanut an honest try, Randy, but this Schrade+ USA lockback is sure a handsome knife and more of a size you prefer! When it comes to knives, most of us are probably like Popeye: "I am what I am and that's all what I am!"

Been carrying this all day:
31916137647_5db87defcd_h.jpg

32982100188_8fd62afa53_h.jpg

46813739552_2f41717267_h.jpg

46813739572_58c3ab2b28_h.jpg

46813739382_c16123a6c9_h.jpg

Got this from an artisan from Spain, @ArtesaniaHerreros. His name is José Antonio Herreros Gomez. You can see his initials "JHG" on the palanquilla in one of the close-ups. This is a traditional folding knife, or "navaja", from Albacete. Or a smaller pocket-sized version. The blade locks open, and to close the palanquilla must be lifted about 90 degrees. Very nice design, and an old design, I think. The steel is 440C stainless, and the handle is a polished deer stag antler point. The bolster on this one is brass. It looks like brass and nickel silver inlays. There is very nice engraving on the ricasso and the spine of the blade. There are no liners, and the knife is very light and easy to carry in a pocket.

I will be getting more knives from Señor Herreros!
Congrats on a muy magnífico navaja, Vince! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: How big is that? Does it have the ratcheting sound (carraca ?) when you open it to the locking position? I guess I don't have any proof, but I think that style knife is the ancestor of the modern toothpick pattern. ;)

- GT

In addition to my new Spanish knife (posted pics last night), I will be toting my wee staggie from Sheffield:
46751220792_61e758f342_h.jpg

It will remain one of my favorites. It feels so natural in the hand--very ergonomic.

And I am also going to give significant pocket time to another favorite:
45915692144_decb8d442e_h.jpg

A gift from @r redden: ebony GEC #15 "Huckleberry Boys Knife". I am rereading "Tom Sawyer" too, by the way. What a wonderful book!
This knife is not a Barlow, like the one mentioned in the book, but the same illustration is used on the knife's tube (although the book cover just has a detail). Ebony is such a great cover material, and that spear blade is perfect. A joy to carry & use.
Great knives and great book. Although I've not read it in many years, there was a time when you could read any sentence from any part of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and I'd recite the next 3 sentences just for fun.

Back