What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

A slightly modified GEC I call a "Pinch-Lock 72"

h7U1qYu.jpg

Fixed blade Friday with GiantMouse GMF1-F and GEC 72 Bullnose in denim micarta

I like that Bull Nose. Denim Micarta, right? That's one I've regretted passing on a few times.

Riding next to the Camillus today, is an old PAL scout. The PAL is kind of unique in that it has a pen secondary instead of an awl. I really like having the smaller pen blade on hand for precision work.

These two knives kind of look like pals, sharing old war stories on the porch.

OOcxZ8Nh.jpg

Beautiful pair, Buzz! Your photos always bring out the warm colors of those old knives. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This little stag dude today helping me reseason my 6.5 gallon jambalaya pot. The wife bought it for me but it was really rough. So I smoothed it with a flapper wheel and burnin’ her in.
View attachment 1074441

6.5 gallons is a lot of jambalaya. Just let us know when to show up for dinner. :D

One of my favorite Beer Scouts:thumbsup:
5AyKWC.jpg

PA4yA0.jpg

That's always been my favorite, too, Paul. That saw cut bone really sets it apart.

First let me state that I am truely in awe of the collections that you all have accumulated... Over the past 6 months I have been quietly lurking and appreciateing the almost limitless number of well loved, studied and appreciated "tools" ( if I can really bring myself to stretch the word "tool" far enough to describe these working pieces of art) but in all of this gawking, a few question have arisen: First being are there any books currently in print that you guys would recommend that would allow me to learn more about tradition folders (without constantly having to ask an endless amount of questions) and further my knowledge? And 2: I come from a firearm background, and I have collected, sold, refinished and built a fairly substancial number of them, in so I have established what some would call a strange feeling about collectables. The biggest of which being that I feel when you look at a fine rifle or over-under shotgun, you are really only getting a small portion of the whole picture. The use of a fine tool is where its value truly lies. So my question is, do collectors have multiple collections? Do you have one drawer of "users" and a climate controlled, sanitary room used only to house special knives that you only touch with white silk gloves? Or is part of the beauty of each knife its function? Sorry for the long post, I'm finding my way to sanity , and developing an appreciation for art all in one swoop here. Thanks for letting me lurk ladies and gents.

Welcome. I think the balance of collecting vs. using really depends on the person. I consider my collection more of an accumulation, and I won't buy a knife unless I think I'll carry/use it (although it sometimes takes me quite a while to get around to it, and there are several I haven't ever pocketed... yet.) :D

Forum knife today.
lenLbg4.jpg

That bread looks delicious! (The knife isn't too shabby, either. ;)) You should bring 'em both with you when we all head over to @SVTFreak's for jambalaya! :D

I've been on a sodbuster kick lately. Today it's this Muslin Micarta #71 Bull Nose. (This is one of those knives that I've had for a while, but today is my first time carrying it.)

J5P49VE.jpg

Dean, that's such a superb stockman! Thanks for introducing me to its charms! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

My plain canoe this week is an Armor Hide Rough Rider:
uzqO6Mf.jpg

My fancy canoe this week is a Fight'n Rooster 4-blade:
View attachment 1075451

International knife this week is a John Watts ring opener (thanks, Jack):
gsljYEm.jpg

Watch pocket knife is a Case mini copperhead in navy blue bone:
dPFMInU.jpg

Big knife this week is a Rough Rider 1-arm trapper:
6WnB0Yt.jpg

- GT

I'll finish posting the knives I've carried all week.
Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is an S&M #99 (thanks, @mrknife):
299wKN1.jpg

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is a Case chestnut jigged bone CV Swayback Jack (thanks, Paul):
yPYaOM8.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Marbles Ram's Horn sowbelly stockman:
fxJqT0t.jpg

Lambsfoot this week is an Ashley's Choice stag model I've named Cracker Jack:
View attachment 1075564

- GT

Thanks, Gary! I like the look of your 4-blade Canoe. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

E.C. Simmons Goolash

Man Gev, my Grandma made a wonderful goolash, grand ol vintage Jack:thumbsup:

That's always been my favorite, too, Paul. That saw cut bone really sets it apart.

J5P49VE.jpg
Thanks Barrett in regards to the Beer Scout. Nice Bullnose, I have the same one and as much as I like it, I haven't carried it for any length of time, I'll have to change that:thumbsup:

#85 forum knife for the last few days.
TnlHwrAh.jpg
I JUST pulled out the very forum knife last night Nate. I added it to my rotation for the next few weeks. That one ranks up there as one of the best in my book:cool::thumbsup:

For President's Day (or Washington's birthday as us old-timers call it), I am carrying my ebony Northwoods Presidential and a replica of George Washington's knife made by Camillus.

Clever combo there Dean, I remember when those quils where available back in the day, both very nice but man the Camillus is pretty neat:cool::thumbsup:

Back