What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

TCbarlowivoryinhand-1.jpg

A heavenly knife.
qeKZP64.jpg
Luminous pic, Dave! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (It had me singing an old Sunday School song from 60 years ago: "Jesus wants me for a sun beam, to shine for him each day." ;))

Captivating crimson Cadet, Dany! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I have one just like it (without the engraved name, of course).

Terrific trio GT :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

Just for J jackknife , and his "Use the heck out of them" thread, I'm breaking out my mint Vic old cross Farmer. Of course, the stag bone Tribal Lock is in my other pocket.

mY5Y1iEh.jpg
Way to go, Buzz! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I'm sure you'll have few, if any, regrets. ;)

The Vic Farmer makes me feel 300% more prepared for the zombie apocalypse than I actually am, and I'm cool with that. ...
IMHO, this is probably the most entertaining post in the thread this week :D:p, although I'm not at all clear why the Farmer is giving you so much false confidence, Buzz. :confused:o_O

Since the Blues have not lost a series since I stopped shaving, or a single game since I started carrying this trio, in order to keep karma happy I think the trio stays with me until our next loss :). (sorry if the Porch is getting bored of these three)

MYSFAPB.jpg
A man's gotta do what he's gotta do, Tom! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: IMHO, that blue Farmer looks great with any other knives.

A top-notch trio today, Gary! Your fancy Fight'n Rooster is fantastic. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :)

For Wooden Wednesday:
KSuF61x.jpg

Limited edition African Rosewood Lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield.
I hope y’all have as great a day as what I’m having! ;) :D
46991509015_452c631dec_b_d.jpg
Thank you! It's riding along with a Rosewood Lambsfoot today.
nl4TH7Y.jpg
This afternoons carry a big Rosewood Lambsfoot.
View attachment 1133012
Wooden Wednesday!
af3TeJy.jpg
Good Morning All
Vince, Ron, Rachel, Dave, Dave, Jack, John, @eisman: is there a rosewood lambsfoot coup d'etat going on in which I should be participating?? :eek:;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Im carrying my GEC 48 improved trapper in pickle green jigged bone today, I needed a fancy knife for my college graduation. My other knife is a modern buck that my wife had engraved for me so I carry it on special occasions.
Congrats on the grad, sir!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::)

First photo post here. Hope it goes ok.
Been lurking a long time, and have been a traditional knife guy my whole life. Looking forward to the Forum journey!
View attachment 1133200
Tidioute 381315
Welcome to The Porch, @0lds! :):thumbsup::cool: Is that an ebony Grinling Whittler? I've only seen pictures, but that's always looked like a very desirable knife to me! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: (Tricky username - I didn't realize it started with "zero" instead of "Capital O" for quite a while.)

Worked in the yard all day to clear out bamboo. I baled up the canes with twine and needed this guy, a Schrade 163. Go big with bamboo. What a day!
v3dCrLd.jpg

- Stuart
Cool knife, Stuart, and the serrated blade took me completely by surprise! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Capital canoe, @Travman; I used to think the GEC canoes were a bit weird, but their uniqueness is growing on a canoe enthusiast like me. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Old Sears, Roebuck High Carbon cattle knife, and Wenger CanyonView attachment 1133308
That cattle knife plucks the heartstrings, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Carrying this old , heavily worn , Taylors Eye Witness Lambfoot today ....
And his Big Brother

Harry
Harvey & Harry, your TEW lambsfoots are incredibly handsome! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Harvey, what wood is on yours?

Your 2-blade Congress is a treasure indeed, Gary! :thumbsup:...
I'm carrying this knife today; it has become one of my favorites.

Thanks, Dean. :) Your teardrop is terrific! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

A Case Barehead today

WrXfkwW.jpg
Jaw-dropping Case Jack, Steve! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

David, I can't figure out what that rectangular inlay on the handle of your big Remington is. :confused::confused:

Lol... It should be considered a custom, since it makes me feel so good to carry it. Best $4 I've ever spent on a knife. :D
:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words about my stag lambsfoot, Gary.
I never use "EDC", although I know what it means. I don't think I have a literal EDC, as I rotate a small number of knives. Should I call them "MDC"? ;)
"MD" sounds GTM (good to me), Vince! ;)

Just wondering why you consider it ugly, Gary. Is your specimen damaged or severely tarnished? I think the standard Buck 110 is extremely attractive, and would much prefer one to a lightweight plastic version. I would carry it in the leather belt sheath it comes with (or a custom leather sheath). I love hefty knives! Hence my frequent ("FDC"?) carry of a full-sized Case Trapper.
While I don't share your sentiment on this knife which I coveted so much as a kid, I can understand the weight and respect your opinions on it's looks.
While the weight is not an issue for me I have on occasion felt it would really be something if I could carry a 110 loose in my pocket once in a while.

You can do this with the 110lt, and this I feel can make believers out of some people who would at least give them a chance were the weight not putting them off.
Mine is in good shape, except for scratches on the blade; not sure how the brother who gave me the knife and is VERY handy managed to get the scratches. I'm not a fan of clip blades, and the upsweeping clip on the 110 doesn't please me at all. The knife is just too big for my tastes. I have the original belt sheath, but I've never been a big belt sheath guy (even before I stopped wearing belts in favor of suspenders).
cHBvxR6.jpg

Nice Congress GT :thumbsup:

Gary, it's not the Buck that's heavy...:D

Speaking of curmudgeons, to paraphrase the old Congressional hearings on decency, "I may not be able to define it, but I know it when I see it." ;)
Touché, Jeff! :p:rolleyes: I DO carry a fair amount of "knife weight" each day, but I don't like any SINGLE knife to account for more than its fair share of the total; the Buck 110 takes up too big a percentage of the daily knife weight. ;)

- GT

Luminous pic, Dave! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (It had me singing an old Sunday School song from 60 years ago: "Jesus wants me for a sun beam, to shine for him each day." ;))

Captivating crimson Cadet, Dany! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I have one just like it (without the engraved name, of course).

Way to go, Buzz! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I'm sure you'll have few, if any, regrets. ;)

IMHO, this is probably the most entertaining post in the thread this week :D:p, although I'm not at all clear why the Farmer is giving you so much false confidence, Buzz. :confused:o_O

A man's gotta do what he's gotta do, Tom! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: IMHO, that blue Farmer looks great with any other knives.

Vince, Ron, Rachel, Dave, Dave, Jack, John, @eisman: is there a rosewood lambsfoot coup d'etat going on in which I should be participating?? :eek:;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Welcome to The Porch, @0lds! :):thumbsup::cool: Is that an ebony Grinling Whittler? I've only seen pictures, but that's always looked like a very desirable knife to me! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: (Tricky username - I didn't realize it started with "zero" instead of "Capital O" for quite a while.)

Cool knife, Stuart, and the serrated blade took me completely by surprise! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Capital canoe, @Travman; I used to think the GEC canoes were a bit weird, but their uniqueness is growing on a canoe enthusiast like me. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harvey & Harry, your TEW lambsfoots are incredibly handsome! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Harvey, what wood is on yours?

David, I can't figure out what that rectangular inlay on the handle of your big Remington is. :confused::confused:

Mine is in good shape, except for scratches on the blade; not sure how the brother who gave me the knife and is VERY handy managed to get the scratches. I'm not a fan of clip blades, and the upsweeping clip on the 110 doesn't please me at all. The knife is just too big for my tastes. I have the original belt sheath, but I've never been a big belt sheath guy (even before I stopped wearing belts in favor of suspenders).
cHBvxR6.jpg

Touché, Jeff! :p:rolleyes: I DO carry a fair amount of "knife weight" each day, but I don't like any SINGLE knife to account for more than its fair share of the total; the Buck 110 takes up too big a percentage of the daily knife weight. ;)

- GT

Thanks GT !

cHBvxR6.jpg
Thanks for the explanation. No wonder you wanted to replace the clip rather than the spey blade on a mini trapper with a lambsfoot blade! I am a BIG fan of clip blades, and LOVE the Buck 110. I also like belt sheaths. Big lover of spears, too. And lambsfoot, of course. My big three.

any "must have" patterns you recommend I pick up first? I got a 34OT and a 897UH in the mail today and I also picked up a Schrade 881 on the exchange today.

I'm also getting into the black box winchesters too, I think i'm in trouble!

I love the 8OT, the large stockman it is a must have. The OT3 is also a good one, but Remember when you go looking, most OT’s are carbon steel, but if the blade is stamped “Schrade +” it is stainless.

cHBvxR6.jpg

- GT
Thank you Gary. I plead ignorance. I’m not sure what the wood is, but I like it.:) Forgive me for saying this, but as former, primarily from the tactical side of the fence kind of guy, that 110 is gorgeous. I love that Clip.

Fodderwing Fodderwing That’s a nice Senator, Dwight...Wait...I like the sound of that...Senator Dwight.:)

@Amir Fleschwund - Jeff, If that’s a picture of you, Thank you. I am greatful for the ultimate sacrifice of those Men and Woman who put themselves in harms way to defend our freedom, as well as the ones who, past and present, are(or were) willing to do so.

How's the overall build quality on that War Eagle?
I've seen those in the AG Russell catalog. Thanks...
~Don
Hi Pinemoon, I am a beginner at this, only have a few knives and this is my only stag one. However I like to go over them meticulously and learn/compare, etc.

I would have liked for the stag on this knife to be more even from one side to the other, one is a bit concave, the other a bit convex and the stag patterns are different too from one side to the other,.... this would not be an issue obviously if you get the yellow synthetic or jigged bone version.

The brass from the bolster and liners on the back was a bit rough, had a machine finish to it ( maybe they forgot to polish that part of the knife ) I quickly fixed that with fine sandpaper and a little buff.

What took me a long time was to re profile the blade, the bevel angle was very steep especially at the tip because the blade does not have a swedge or taper so the tip is thicker than the back of the blade. The bevel at the tip ended up bigger after reprofiling at 30 degrees.

I still think this is a very nice little knife, considering I paid $ 42 for it and I carry it a lot ( the synthetic yellow version is half that $ ).

I am happy I got it, ... economical way of getting into stag.

Last edited:
I can understand that, there's many blade shapes I don't like.
I'm betting the scratches are there because the early 110's with their 440c blades and thicker edge grinds were known to be a bit of a task to sharpen compared to the thin carbon blades people were used to.

Buck will give this knife a nice spa treatment for $7 if you ever wanted to return it to him in a refreshened condition as a gift.

I am not certain if the Opinel's are considered a traditional knife or not? I remember reading somewhere Mr. Opinel started making them in 1955, a short three years after I was hatched. I am carrying a No. 6 carbone and while using it today with my rather large hands I inadvertently reminded myself to order a No. 10 in carbone, of course. One thing that I have always appreciated about the No. 6 and larger Opinels' is the ability to lock the blade in the closed position. I have had this No. 6 for quite sometime and it usually finds it's way into my pocket when working the yard or on machinery. For some reason this knife has really grown on me. As absent minded as I seem to be some days I find myself amazed that I have not lost that old No. 6 yet.

I am not certain if the Opinel's are considered a traditional knife or not? I remember reading somewhere Mr. Opinel started making them in 1955, a short three years after I was hatched. I am carrying a No. 6 carbone and while using it today with my rather large hands I inadvertently reminded myself to order a No. 10 in carbone, of course. One thing that I have always appreciated about the No. 6 and larger Opinels' is the ability to lock the blade in the closed position. I have had this No. 6 for quite sometime and it usually finds it's way into my pocket when working the yard or on machinery. For some reason this knife has really grown on me. As absent minded as I seem to be some days I find myself amazed that I have not lost that old No. 6 yet.
Opinels are definitely considered traditional around here. The Virobloc lock was invented in 1955, but Opinel knives go back to the late 1890s.

Back