What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

9RZXFTFh.jpg

We call that “patina”, and it’s a badge of honor for a working knife.
And as you know, the TL-29 is a helluva work knife!
I left the patina on the blade when I cleaned it up because I like blade patina, but I was trying to minimize it on the scales. I guess I should just embrace it all.

Yes, I’m loving it as a work knife. Great size and takes a great edge. It will be even handier with the screwdriver blade, but I’ve left those out for now just trying to simplify things while I’m learning.

I caught the first image as the knife was falling, fortunately into the boat o_O

C8-A93220-6-E35-4-B2-A-85-C0-B9-B5-A135814-C.jpg

It's still a great image :) Well done, and I'm glad you didn't lose your knife! :) :thumbsup:

A Zorro Barlow...How Cool, Jack.

369BECC8-A176-4F99-B7ED-C3139AD2C7A9_zpsupojqofu.jpeg

Thanks Harvey, I'd wanted one for ages, it was a giveaway gift from Tom @Half/Stop :) When it's not in my pocket, it sits on my desk :) :thumbsup:

That is an outstanding photo my friend :thumbsup:

I took a four day trip to the cottage and had these two with me + the vic Pioneer, which was very handy doing some minor repairs on the roof. Both of these are sold by Brisa, I have really no idea where they are actually made. Both are fine knives with some reservations.

The Elver (the smaller one with scandi edge) is a good allround bush tool. I use it for batoning firewood with confidence. The blade is quite stout, the 3,5 mm spine and full sceletonized tang is more than enough to handle heavy work. With the low scandi grind it is not the best for whittling. I have some Tommi-puukkos that shine in that with their high scandi grind. For rough work the Elver is really good and with the compact size (85 mm blade, overall 190) it is easy to carry, most of the time I just drop in my pocket.

The Brisa Nessmuk has also scandi grind. On the manufacturers page they say it has a secondary bevel, but I have yet to notice it (it is possible I have sharpened it away or convexed it, I use wet sandpaper on wood/leather strop). It is made to work as as slicer, for chopping they recommend adding a secondary bevel. The blade is 125 mm long, which makes it a good all round tool, but I have some mixed feelings about this knife I made of a kit. It does slice nicely, but working with foodstuffs I have noticed that the scandi grind leaves something to be desired. With a full flat grind this would be remarkable. Guess you just can't get everything in the same knife. I would not hesitate to take this with me to hiking trips, I am sure it would handle anything I want to do while not trying anything really stupid.

qlNgCxb.jpg

My previous trip has run out of luck, as the Blues endured a 7-2 whuppin’ last night. Since it is clearly my knives that caused the loss, and not undisciplined play, with poor passing, lousy checking and terrible defense that is the culprit :), I am carrying a new set of Blues themed knives today.

Bark River City Knife in white bone, a dark blue pioneer and an old Queen Barlow in yellow.

TGIF Porchsters!
In keeping with Harry's law, "carrying stag on everyday that ends with a y", I'm totin these today.
cWzZCRe.jpg
Couple of championship-caliber stag folders, Gary!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Just some wax. I used Kiwi neutral shoe polish wax. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the pro tip. :):thumbsup:

Thanks GT, much appreciated! They played the lesser Gloria (I agree with you on it’s ranking) at the end of the game, everybody was singing it, strangers giving each other high fives, even some dancing in the streets. It was an amazing experience.

So I am definitely not breaking up the trio until at least this Sunday, and hopefully not until the end of the series :). Which is highly unlikely and I only have one more Blue traditional knife :eek:
Not G! L! O! R! I! A! by Van Morrison :(
Somehow I suspect this is not the "Gloria" sung at Mass.
The only other one I am familiar with is the one I heard Patti Smith singing around 1978 or so.
Vince, I think Tom, David, and I are all thinking of the "spell out the name" version of "Gloria", written by Van Morrison (and Them), although as a Midwest kid, I'm actually most familiar with the Shadows of Knight cover of the song that WLS in Chicago played because censors considered the original to have an unacceptable line in the lyrics. I think the Patti Smith version has essentially the same "spelling chorus", but the verses tell a much different story than the original.
I hadn't even considered all the Latin religious songs with "Gloria" in the their titles. I like some of those (most notably the Christmas song "Angels We Have Heard On High") more than the secular version, but they're probably unlikely to be used to fire up hockey fans. :D
Sorry to hear the result of Saturday's game, Tom. :( What blue knife do you still have left?

That Joker is wild. I love it.
... Gary I like that Joker lockback! ...
Nice Joker GT :cool: :thumbsup:

I am still struggling with a terrible internet connection here, and I'm afraid it's likely to be like that at least until Monday :( I'm heading out hiking tomorrow, armed to the teeth! :D Have a great weekend folks :thumbsup:
Thanks for the Joker joy, Harvey & Nick & Jack. :)
Jack, that's quite a Fearsome Foursome you grabbed for your hike! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I wonder if you'd get satisfaction if you carried those 4 in to see your internet service provider. :rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
You’re not alone, Gt. I have a lot of “favorites” I’ve yet to own.
Yeah, Jeff, I don't expect to ever own all my favorites, and I'm perfectly happy just admiring them from afar. :thumbsup:;):D

Thanks Gary, A good friend gifted me this knife so that makes it even more special !

As for a 1951 :thumbsup:

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Soldat+1951
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Soldier+1951
That certainly sounds like a special gift, Steve! :):thumbsup::cool:
Thanks for the links about a 1951 Soldier! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I've spent plenty of time at SAKwiki, but never thought to search it for a BY Soldier. :eek::rolleyes:

Switching up my watch pocket carry...
My latest acquisition, Red bone CV Sway Back Jack.

Those Sway Backs are deservedly-celebrated classics, John and Dean!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I’ve been carrying this one recently
2FmbGzh.jpg

It’s a Klein TL29-style knife that I put new covers on. It’s far from perfect but I’m very pleased with it for my second attempt at a re-cover. I’ll probably keep tinkering with it and clean it up a bit more. I may post it in the “modified production knives” thread with some more details. If I get really motivated maybe I’ll start a new thread showing some work in progress.
Congrats on the fantastic mod! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

For Saturday:
kTH6d26.jpg

From @ArtesaniaHerreros in Alabacete, Spain. And, because it's "Stag Saturday":
k5KS6uw.jpg

From A. Wright & Son, Sheffield.
(Both knives are stag; the Spanish one is polished.)
Stellar stag pair, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Imperial Cattle knife today !

Mlynyog.jpg
I could look at that one until the cows come home! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gary, Case calls the bone on my half-whittler "smooth antique bone." The only pool Jack and I have in common is the big one separating the British isles from North America. :)

Re: Mirror Image: I remember that case (of course)! :D

Your Joker has great stag, Gary. :thumbsup:
Thanks for humoring me, Dean! :cool::cool::)

Elk stag today~ smooth on Camillus, rough on Klein.View attachment 1138268
You gotta be proud of how that pair turned out, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Haven't carried this Case SS 6347 Stockman with jigged Walnut bone covers for awhile so I dropped it in my pocket this morning.

95sMPDY.jpg
The walnut bone with lined bolsters is one of the best looking series of modern case knives.
That's a winner, ED; I agree with Paul's assessment of that series! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Y:eek:WZA, Dwight!! That one sure has no flies on it ... well, you know what I mean! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope everyone is doing well today! :D I’ve had a #77 and a #73 along today! :thumbsup:

47964983351_c4750501ec_b_d.jpg
Pleasing pair, Ron, especially the color on the covers of the 73! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

...Then I was carrying them both
Harry
Congrats on the Bower Daddy Barlow, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Do you have a standard-size Bower Barlow, too? (I know I've seen them here before.)

Gonna mix it up a little this Sunday:
xevK7vU.jpg

Cocobolo peanut. (Gift.)

aSvCMpL.jpg

Wharncliffe mini trapper. (GAW by @JohnDF and @t.willy.

mEJ0bao.jpg

Spanish navaja handmade by @ArtesaniaHerreros.

Small, medium, & large.
Have a great Sunday, folks!
Dynamite diversity in that trio, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Out of the night,
When the full moon is bright! :thumbsup::cool::p

Going fancy today...

Memorable knife, Alan!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Back