What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Tempted by the titillating toothpicks recently released from Titusville and posted in this thread, I promptly went downstairs to the knife piles and pocketed this Queen City pair for today's toothsome twosome tote.

Hhk4zkG.jpg

PzVkLp8.jpg

KxMxcRs.jpg

Only the larger one (1925-1932) is from the original Queen City era; the smaller one is from 2016.

- Stuart

Heading out to see my oldest daughter graduate from Eastern Washington University tomorrow. Then it is on to Montana to see my granddad, who if he is still alive by then, will be 102 in August. I have a Victorinox Swiss Army knife in the car, as always but I’m going to take the 66 with me for the entire trip.

29-E57538-6-ADD-4183-B4-B4-2791-C8-E46001.jpg

We tread the same trails friend. :)

Reactions: 315
View attachment 1144068 Checking out the kale with these guys.
Advantageous golden pair of kale samplers, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Happy Thursday Everybody
New knives come and go, but the Rosewood Lamb remains constant.
Bodacious bevel on that blade, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I’m carrying two today. I have a favorite Case Copperhead in Tru Sharp that kept me company while I enjoyed my last cup of coffee for the morning and my Ebony ‘18 Guardians Lambsfoot. :D

48014699206_d2af5fd394_b_d.jpg

47957911946_03330f81a6_b_d.jpg
Capable coffee Case copperhead and exquisite ebony lambsfoot, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Totin' a Utica Kutmaster today

xy4289b.jpg
Ulster Jack today

xxCrOdE.jpg
I sure admire your distinctive taste in desirable jigged bone covers, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That is hilarious! Missed it the first time.

I like the square & compass, too, and "G" is the initial of my last name. Some of my favourite presidents were Masons.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Another day, another Lamb and Barlow. This time dressed in red.

1dZbSIS.jpg
Flawless jigged bone and felicitous saw cut bone, Dylan – a salubrious Study in Scarlet! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today with the excellent GEC # 15 in 440C.;):thumbsup:

k3xg6a.jpg
José, that gallant, groovy knife arrived right on time! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

I was able to enjoy the game at a sold out watch party on the Blues home ice at Enterprise Center last night. It was an incredible experience for all Blues fans, I have never seen so many strangers hugging each other. ...

I am keeping the beard until I have seen the Stanley Cup with my own eyes at the parade Saturday, and it seems really bad karma to break up this trio until at least then.

JMHgpoj.jpg
Congrats on a once-in-a-lifetime (so far ;)) experience, Tom! I'm honored to see that handsome, helpful, historic hockey trio one more time! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

wonder whats become of that
Jack, this thread seems to mark the demise of your inspired and inspiring idea, as the most recent winner apparently just kept everything. :(
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...inuing-saga-mrknife-box-o-knives-gaw.1629707/
But Hickory n steel Hickory n steel decided to reboot the tradition:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-winner-chosen.1655095/
It's gone through at least a couple of rounds, and IIRC the current state of affairs is reflected here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-2.1658506/page-3

A fine trio, Gary; and your '1st Case' is one to be proud of. One day I'm going to buy a brown Delrin Case.
Stainless and Delrin are surely suitable for the humidity that we are feeling in the Old Dominion nowadays, GT (or Delrin and an oily rag). That is a fine looking Case peanut, all in all, a fine looking knife.

- Stuart
I appreciate the nice comments GT. Nice Case’s you have today!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the commendations on my Case carries, Dean & Stuart & Nick. :)

Feeling a little blue today.

Those two blues are not too blue, but true blue, Dean! ;):cool::cool:

Tall trapper Thursday? Whatever, I'm totin' an oldie, but goldie today - a Case 6151 large trapper (5 1/4") from 1905-1920:

MRX4WBz.jpg

8aSSgAc.jpg

- Stuart
Gargantuan goodness, Stuart, from a time when giants walked the face of the Earth!! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

Cattaraugus
That jaw-dropping jewel is the Catt's meow, Nick!! :cool::cool::)

Not true my friend . If you cut it right and shake it when you put it on your plate , the calories all fall out . We go to the YMCA to see our friends and then have coffee . At our age , we need to see friends . Kringle is very much like Stag handled knives too . I will only eat Kringle on days that end with a Y .
Harry
Your information is impressive, intriguing, and influential, Harry! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Once I've mastered sharpening my knives, I want to learn how to cut and shake pastry to minimize the calories! :D

How about this one for Friday?
ke7yW4L.jpg

Bet some of these guys carried something similar.
I'll bet you're right, Vince. Some of those old boys would have certainly enjoyed an old boys' knife like your black beauty! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

A-OK FOB, FBC! :cool::cool::thumbsup::) I really enjoy your ground-level shots, but am impressed by the flexibility you must exhibit to take them! :eek::D

Great line-up Gary :) :thumbsup:
Morning folks, just checking in with my carry today :) Hope everyone has a good Friday :) :thumbsup:

lD3bneJ.jpg

CUYutQI.jpg
Thanks, Jack. :) Pair of potent, premium patterns there, not for the pusillanimous! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:;)

Today I thought a groovy old Robeson Scout and a mid century Case Barlow. I'm always amazed that when the Case was manufactured a Case ran Robeson :)

Man, you are posting some vibrant vintage pairs this week, sir! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Kudos on the killer kickin' back pic, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I can just imagine you with your cool Case Barlow and your cold case of Corona. Summer time, and the livin' is easy! :D:thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the outstanding orange Alox Cadet, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Sweeter than that candy, and it won't stick to your teeth! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

I'm headed out for a quick camping trip tonight, just for the weekend, testing my new G-10 SwissTank on a Vic belt hanger.

Gon0QAEh.jpg

This is one of two Victorinox SwissChamps that will be the focus of activities this summer. I'm doing two 2-week long camping trips into the Adirondacks with my daughter in July and August. The overall challenge of the trips will be to use the SwissChamps for everything that needs to be done, and then journaling all of our adventures with them. Abby is very excited. Every kid loves a huge Swiss Army Knife with a billion little interesting gadgets. She's also a budding artist, and is looking forward to illustrating all of the uses we find for the tools.

After much consideration, I decided on vintage SwissChamps with replacement scales for the summer challenge. The nylon and glass parts on the vintage models seem to be far more resistant to DEET-based insect repellents than newer models with cheaper plastic parts. For the same reason, the red cellidor "plus scales" are being replaced with G-10 and nylon scales.

I almost felt bad about modifying this knife. It was a mint red-scaled SwissChamp, purchased from the original owner, who still had the receipt from July of 1991. It would have been a great collection item. But I pulled it out of the mailbox, admired it and took a couple of pictures, and began modding it, not a half hour after it arrived.
Fortunately, I'm very pleased with how the SwissTank turned out. I hand sanded the highly textured scales to give it more of a worn vintage glossy appearance. Now it has this cool retro WW2 kind of look to it. It matches my father-in-law's old BSA whistle perfectly.
Perfect plans for a father-daughter project, Buzz! :cool::thumbsup::)
Never thought about repellent resistance of knife materials before. :eek:

- GT

Lovely grain, Dylan, as is that in @Dschal 's post.

Gorgeous pair Dylan :) :thumbsup:

lawless jigged bone and felicitous saw cut bone, Dylan – a salubrious Study in Scarlet! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, fellas, for the wonderful compliments, they are always appreciated.

Dylan, please accept my humble apology! I assure you I know exactly who you and Dwight are! Dang autofill got me again! At any rate the compliment on those two Ironwood beauties was definitely meant for you sir! :)

There is certainly nothing to forgive, Harry! (errr, I mean, Ron :D) I've certainly been guilty of the same mishap, on more than one occasion, I am sure. It gave me a good chuckle.

Continuing with my Lamb and Barlow pairings today. Blade shape redundancy... But I lack a black clad Barlow with a different blade shape. Makes for a devilishly handsome pair, all the same.

6BOfn6X.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider stag copperhead:
stagCH.mark.open.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is Black Jack, a 2018 Guardians ebony:
pile.V.woods.jpg

And, "off the schedule", I'm carrying a couple of free choice knives all week. One is a Rough Rider black lip pearl gunboat canoe that arrived last week, and the other is a Case rough black canoe (thanks, Alan):
pearl.pile.closed.sill.jpg
GFcanoe.mark.Vopen.jpg

- GT

I've had a run of good luck the last couple weeks finding interesting knives. We have a great little feed store in our town, been in business almost 70 years, and offers more than just feed and farm supplies. I was in before Christmas buying a few knives for presents. Looked at a Moore Maker and was unimpressed. Main blade had actually not been ground, other flaws. After some educational reading on BF I had a better understanding of Moore Maker and decided to stop in and see what they might have from Queen or Camillus, because some of the stock has been there for years. Bought the one below Wednesday. Gunstock Trapper (6200GS) in Sambar stag (actually says Sambar "deer" in their catalog, I'm assuming it's the same thing). Had been sitting in the store since August 2015. Little surface rust on the main blade that looked like fingerprints cleaned up nicely except for a little staining. Mineral oiled the stag. My understanding is this is one of the Queen made knives. Good fit and finish, took a scary sharp edge quickly. Just a really nice, solid little knife. Having its maiden voyage in my pocket today. If anyone is interested in Moore Makers let me know, I'm headed up there tomorrow to look through the stock. Just didn't have time Wednesday to look through everything. Edit: Oh, and the shields are pinned on this knife. Nice touch IMO.

20190614_125530 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

20190614_125615 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

20190614_125707 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Tall trapper Thursday? Whatever, I'm totin' an oldie, but goldie today - a Case 6151 large trapper (5 1/4") from 1905-1920:

MRX4WBz.jpg

8aSSgAc.jpg

- Stuart

Yowza! That's a beauty, Stuart. I love those curved handle trappers. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Those two blues are not too blue, but true blue, Dean! ;):cool::cool:

- GT

Thank you, Gary. :)

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider stag copperhead:
View attachment 1144799

- GT

That is another special stag by RR, Gary!

New arrival! And in my pocket while I'm "gardening"....;)
View attachment 1144831

That is a excellent example of the pattern, Taylor! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I enjoy using mine a lot; it's just perfect for a variety of tasks.

Back