1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Tempted by the titillating toothpicks recently released from Titusville and posted in this thread, I promptly went downstairs to the knife piles and pocketed this Queen City pair for today's toothsome twosome tote.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only the larger one (1925-1932) is from the original Queen City era; the smaller one is from 2016.

- Stuart

2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    We tread the same trails friend. :)

315 likes this.
  3. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Advantageous golden pair of kale samplers, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Bodacious bevel on that blade, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Capable coffee Case copperhead and exquisite ebony lambsfoot, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I sure admire your distinctive taste in desirable jigged bone covers, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Flawless jigged bone and felicitous saw cut bone, Dylan – a salubrious Study in Scarlet! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

José, that gallant, groovy knife arrived right on time! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Congrats on a once-in-a-lifetime (so far ;)) experience, Tom! I'm honored to see that handsome, helpful, historic hockey trio one more time! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jack, this thread seems to mark the demise of your inspired and inspiring idea, as the most recent winner apparently just kept everything. :(
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...inuing-saga-mrknife-box-o-knives-gaw.1629707/
    But @Hickory n steel decided to reboot the tradition:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-winner-chosen.1655095/
    It's gone through at least a couple of rounds, and IIRC the current state of affairs is reflected here:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-2.1658506/page-3

Thanks for the commendations on my Case carries, Dean & Stuart & Nick. :)

Those two blues are not too blue, but true blue, Dean! ;):cool::cool:

Gargantuan goodness, Stuart, from a time when giants walked the face of the Earth!! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

That jaw-dropping jewel is the Catt's meow, Nick!! :cool::cool::)

Your information is impressive, intriguing, and influential, Harry! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Once I've mastered sharpening my knives, I want to learn how to cut and shake pastry to minimize the calories! :D

I'll bet you're right, Vince. Some of those old boys would have certainly enjoyed an old boys' knife like your black beauty! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

A-OK FOB, FBC! :cool::cool::thumbsup::) I really enjoy your ground-level shots, but am impressed by the flexibility you must exhibit to take them! :eek::D

Thanks, Jack. :) Pair of potent, premium patterns there, not for the pusillanimous! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:;)

Man, you are posting some vibrant vintage pairs this week, sir! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Kudos on the killer kickin' back pic, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I can just imagine you with your cool Case Barlow and your cold case of Corona. Summer time, and the livin' is easy! :D:thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the outstanding orange Alox Cadet, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Sweeter than that candy, and it won't stick to your teeth! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Perfect plans for a father-daughter project, Buzz! :cool::thumbsup::)
    Never thought about repellent resistance of knife materials before. :eek:

- GT

4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm Boisterously Beholden, GT. :)

cigarrodog and Prester John like this.
  5. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you, fellas, for the wonderful compliments, they are always appreciated.

There is certainly nothing to forgive, Harry! (errr, I mean, Ron :D) I've certainly been guilty of the same mishap, on more than one occasion, I am sure. It gave me a good chuckle.

Continuing with my Lamb and Barlow pairings today. Blade shape redundancy... But I lack a black clad Barlow with a different blade shape. Makes for a devilishly handsome pair, all the same.

[​IMG]

6. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

Is there anything better than Friday Morning with Knives, Coffee & a Tasty Breakfast?

Yes there is! The 1st day of V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N :D:D:D

[​IMG]

7. Invoice

Invoice Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2006
    The morning line up. What will I carry today...
    [​IMG]

8. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Trick photography can make even a little guy look big.
    197A4B4D-8B15-412B-A2E6-14549BF344FC.jpeg

9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

cigarrodog likes this.
  10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider stag copperhead:
    stagCH.mark.open.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is Black Jack, a 2018 Guardians ebony:
    pile.V.woods.jpg

And, "off the schedule", I'm carrying a couple of free choice knives all week. One is a Rough Rider black lip pearl gunboat canoe that arrived last week, and the other is a Case rough black canoe (thanks, Alan):
    pearl.pile.closed.sill.jpg
    GFcanoe.mark.Vopen.jpg

- GT

11. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    New arrival! And in my pocket while I'm "gardening"....;)
    IMG_20190614_112236.jpg

12. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I've had a run of good luck the last couple weeks finding interesting knives. We have a great little feed store in our town, been in business almost 70 years, and offers more than just feed and farm supplies. I was in before Christmas buying a few knives for presents. Looked at a Moore Maker and was unimpressed. Main blade had actually not been ground, other flaws. After some educational reading on BF I had a better understanding of Moore Maker and decided to stop in and see what they might have from Queen or Camillus, because some of the stock has been there for years. Bought the one below Wednesday. Gunstock Trapper (6200GS) in Sambar stag (actually says Sambar "deer" in their catalog, I'm assuming it's the same thing). Had been sitting in the store since August 2015. Little surface rust on the main blade that looked like fingerprints cleaned up nicely except for a little staining. Mineral oiled the stag. My understanding is this is one of the Queen made knives. Good fit and finish, took a scary sharp edge quickly. Just a really nice, solid little knife. Having its maiden voyage in my pocket today. If anyone is interested in Moore Makers let me know, I'm headed up there tomorrow to look through the stock. Just didn't have time Wednesday to look through everything. Edit: Oh, and the shields are pinned on this knife. Nice touch IMO.

[​IMG]20190614_125530 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

[​IMG]20190614_125615 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

[​IMG]20190614_125707 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

13. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Thank you sir !

cigarrodog likes this.
  14. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Today my Guardians Ebony 18 is in good company with the legendary English plane Supermarine Spitfire MK.Vb!!;):thumbsup:

[​IMG]

15. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks Stuart...:thumbsup:

Duckdog likes this.
  16. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks Gary...:thumbsup:

17. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Yowza! That's a beauty, Stuart. I love those curved handle trappers. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary. :)

That is another special stag by RR, Gary!

That is a excellent example of the pattern, Taylor! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I enjoy using mine a lot; it's just perfect for a variety of tasks.

TFBraden likes this.
  18. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Today is Flag Day in the U.S. and also the birthday of the U.S. Army. These seemed appropriate.

[​IMG]

19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
  20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Got sent outta town to refinish some tubs at a motel, carrying these from yesterday to tomorrow