1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Laurelbb

Laurelbb Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    modern traditional monday at the computer with my Dom. have a great week everyone!
    IMG_3779.JPG

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That coke bottle is gorgeous, anything near that nice goes for more than I can afford to gamble on a knife from the Bay but I can dream about it at least.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Duckdog likes this.
  3. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Stuart, you are always pulling out gems! The jigging on your century old coke bottle is superb. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Duckdog likes this.
  4. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    @Duckdog Thanks Stuart! Excellent knives you have today, both are great but that 100 year old Crown coke bottle sure is amazing!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Duckdog likes this.
  5. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    IMG_20190617_145737.jpg
    This one again today

6. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    This thing is really growing on me;)

[​IMG]

7. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Y:eek:WZA, that's a pair to pine for, Paul!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the captivating Case Barlows, Dean & Greg & Josh & Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Nick, the challenge must be NOT pocketing that one every day! :eek::cool::cool:

Alan, seeing that shell shield stag, I finally know what Frankie Valli was singing about way back when :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Man, that knife/slip combo is a treat! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (I won't put a link to "Mac the Knife" here, but I should! :rolleyes:)

Fine recipe for pairing up knives, Rachel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: But you Texans seem to lack creativity when it comes to chili recipes! :eek:
    When asked what my favorite soup is, I usually say, "Chili!!" :cool::cool::thumbsup: I obviously have an inclusive, rather than exclusive, definition of "chili". ;) Does Texas chili include any kind of tomatoes? What about water? What kind(s) of meat are acceptable interpretations (in TX) of "carne"? Do all chili cook-offs win with every participant tied for first because the recipes are identical? (Or do Texans distinguish between "beans and meat" and "meat and beans"??)

Grand slam, David! Those are two of my favorite Case patterns, especially with the single spring! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, guys! :):thumbsup::cool:

Great photos of what sounds like a perfect Father's Day celebration, Buzz! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Do "simply superb" and "superbly simple" mean the same thing? Just to be safe, I'll say that knife is both! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Enjoyed your pics of your outing with daughter and BSK! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Premium pair, Taylor! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another handsome couple; you're quite the matchmaker, JJ! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :)
    Congrats on the Duncan gunstock; it goes well with YOUR recent "eternal" stag Barlow! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Magnificent Loewen Messer, Dwight; is that a "current production" knife, or does it just LOOK new?? :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Laurelbb, RDaneel, jwb01 and 14 others like this.
  8. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you GT. The seller said it was a gift from a German friend 40 yrs ago. It was still in the factory plastic sleeve. He said it had been in storage ever since. :)

Old Engineer likes this.
  9. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Cool Case copperlocks, Ron & Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Are they full-size or minis, and is there any way to tell without some kind of size referent??

It depends on the "size" of the knife need, but will almost certainly be one of the Vics. If it's something like opening a package or pill bottle seal or other "light duty" tasks, I'm most like to use the little Wharncliffe blade (or even the scissors) on the Minichamp. If it's food prep/consumption or whittling/trimming wood or other "heavier duty" or "longer blade" tasks, I'll probably grab the Alox Solo.

That's a tool box in the palm of your hand right there! ;):cool::cool:

Thanks, José. :)

Are you as happy with your ebony lambsfoot as you hoped to be? Glad you found one! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Prestigious pair, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Lovely knife, José!

For me this week,
    Alox knife is a silver Farmer (thanks, Tom):
    [​IMG]

non-Alox SAK is a modified Recruit (thanks, Greg, for knife and bust):
    [​IMG]

Bailed non-SAK is a GSA Kutmaster:
    As found at flea market
    [​IMG]
    After some TLC
    [​IMG]

- GT

zolthar, Laurelbb, RDaneel and 26 others like this.
  10. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @5K Qs
    The Four Seasons blasting out of my 64 Chevy radio. The memories don't get any better than that. But nothing beats

11. thefrank

thefrank Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2013
    LionSteel Bolus for micarta Monday

[​IMG]

Laurelbb, RDaneel, 2Dead and 22 others like this.
  12. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Stuart! Those old Case Barlow’s are special! :thumbsup::)

That’s a great pair to spend the weekend with Stuart! The Queen is very nice! :thumbsup: The Jigged Bone on that Crown is outstanding my friend! :thumbsup: :)

Thanks Gary! My Yellow Delrin is the small size. It weighs in at 3-5/8”. ;)

Duckdog, Fodderwing and dc50 like this.
  13. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Chili is not soup! It's thick, and doesn't need tomatoes. And beans are a separate dish. Don't know if you can find good chili outside of Texas. It was invented here in San Antonio in the 19th century. But I'm going to calm down now and pour me a cup of black coffee. :)

14. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Just sit back and chill-eh:p

15. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    @5K Q's: "Fine recipe for pairing up knives, Rachel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: But you Texans seem to lack creativity when it comes to chili recipes! :eek:
    When asked what my favorite soup is, I usually say, "Chili!!" :cool::cool::thumbsup: I obviously have an inclusive, rather than exclusive, definition of "chili". ;) Does Texas chili include any kind of tomatoes? What about water? What kind(s) of meat are acceptable interpretations (in TX) of "carne"? Do all chili cook-offs win with every participant tied for first because the recipes are identical? (Or do Texans distinguish between "beans and meat" and "meat and beans"??)"

Most Texans aren't very PC, so we don't worry too much about inclusion when it comes to chili. We're more concerned with issues of right and wrong, and beans in chili is just wrong! The first World Championship Chili cookoff was held in Terlingua to settle that question. Wick Fowler won, dropped the mike, and walked out ha ha ha. We're willing to accept diversity in meats. Any cut of beef, venison, pork, even chicken. Any tofu product attempting to masquerade as meat gets you banned for life. And no, everyone does not win at chili cookoffs. Because that would be like participation trophies! I have a great joke about someone from the East Coast substituting as a judge at a Texas chili cookoff. I think the language precludes posting it here.

BTW, the best way to eat a Whataburger cheeseburger is plain and dry. Mmmmm.

16. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    I'm chilling, Dave, listening to Sinatra. :cool:

17. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Cool :thumbsup::cool::cool::cool:

Prester John likes this.
  18. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Ha! I waiver now Jeff:D

Amir Fleschwund likes this.
  19. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Knife content:

20. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Nick that Empire is stunning man just incredible.

What a fantastic pairing! Both are fine as frog hair Stuart.

Oh my Dave that thing is beautiful indeed!

kai76, dc50 and Prester John like this.