What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thank you, Gev! I've been posting photos of my teardrops for quite a while now and you are the first person to mention the wrap around springs. They are one of the features that attracted me to them in the first place.
It's a fine pattern that makes me curious each time I see it :) You have some lookers too

Well, you can't beat that, John; enjoy! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fine photo of a grand knife, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thank you, GT.
I always appreciate your friendly comments. :cool::thumbsup:

Here are more of the knives I'm toting this entire week.
Stockman of the Week is a Case chestnut jigged bone CV sowbelly stockman (thanks, Ron):
View attachment 1162528
Very nice knife, GT.
Your pictures of the Sowbelly Stockman certainly have me curious to try one some day.

Buck-303-Cadet-Camillus-1980.jpg

Been carrying this Buck 303 Cadet since last Friday; I did take time this evening to take a blade open photo. Been so long since I carried this knife I have forgotten what a fine old knife it is. OH

Hi addylo, yes I did :) about 10 years ago.
I do feel a bit guilty about using such nice piece of cocobolo for a bowl which you have to carve the inside out ( nice little piece of yellow sapwood on the side too).
The bowl "turned out" great :) and it was very admired at the woodturning club meeting.
However thinking about the wood wasted in making the bowl unsettles me a bit.
I hear ya. I felt the same way about most pieces.
Here's a cocobolo hollow form with finial that I turned about 10 years ago. The opening is about 1". Finally had to give it up due to back issues. I've added a 77 for scale (and to keep it trad knife related).

i-jVmhSpP-X4.jpg

Here's a cocobolo hollow form with finial that I turned about 10 years ago. The opening is about 1". Finally had to give it up due to back issues. I've added a 77 for scale (and to keep it trad knife related).

i-jVmhSpP-X4.jpg
To keep it knife related. That is a really nice barlow, like the color of the scales. Love your wood turning, i can see why cocobolo makes great knife scales. sorry to hear you had to give it up.

i-jVmhSpP-X4.jpg
WOW, I am contemplating perfection in this hollow form, I am beyond impressed !!! I am sorry as well you had to give it up. Thank you for posting, always so nice to meet fellow wood turners and traditional knives enthusiasts !
I love your barlow !!! (I am on standby on the recent 77 barlow release :) )
Cheers

Beautiful oldie, Nick, early '30s? The Rough Rider Armor Hide is jigged cattle bone.
Thanks Jeff for the nice comment and for armor hide info. @5K Qs GT, it could pass off as armadillo or some exotic reptile skin!

Jeff, my guess is also that my knife is from the 30’s. Pretty sure it’s before peach seed and after pick bone but can’t remember if it was before or after the basketweave(or was it the divot style?) jigging.

Last edited:
Totin a "minty" barlow today. :D M Furness & SonsView attachment 1162285

In spite of, or is it because of, the ravages of dihydrogen oxide on the steel, and rodents one the bone, that is an incredible looking old veteran. Do you have any back story on her, Dwight?

@5K Qs
Love the character of the Navy knife. Would you share the maker, and is it a vintage knife? Thanks Jeff

Thanks, Harvey! It's a Schrade Walden, NY USA 163. I really don't know it's age, but I'd guess maybe the '70s?
Besides Navy Knife, I've also seen it called Rope or Hawser Knife. Big strong spring with great snap. It's deadly on tomatos!

Schrade cut co mini moose today.
Wow, that's a good one!

Thanks Gary! That armor hide canoe is really cool. What are the covers? Armadillo??

Schrade cut co mini moose today.

What a peach !! The swedge work and lines of it....dandy. /and there is something in a moose pattern that resonates with me as of late.

In spite of, or is it because of, the ravages of dihydrogen oxide on the steel, and rodents one the bone, that is an incredible looking old veteran. Do you have any back story on her, Dwight?

Thanks, Harvey! It's a Schrade Walden, NY USA 163. I really don't know it's age, but I'd guess maybe the '70s?
Besides Navy Knife, I've also seen it called Rope or Hawser Knife. Big strong spring with great snap. It's deadly on tomatos!

Wow, that's a good one!
Thanks for the response, Jeff.just love it. I’m checking out the link now.

Fodderwing Fodderwing Thank you kindly, Dwight.

Back