1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    It's a fine pattern that makes me curious each time I see it :) You have some lookers too

RDaneel and cigarrodog like this.
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, GT.
    I always appreciate your friendly comments. :cool::thumbsup:

Very nice knife, GT.
    Your pictures of the Sowbelly Stockman certainly have me curious to try one some day.

cigarrodog and Prester John like this.
  3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My Hartshead Barlow and Case Large Stockman served me well on my trip.
    Once I got home, I had a desire to pocket this one. A Case knife that rivals the quality of any knife I own...
    [​IMG]

jwb01, cjtamu, RDaneel and 27 others like this.
  4. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Been carrying this Buck 303 Cadet since last Friday; I did take time this evening to take a blade open photo. Been so long since I carried this knife I have forgotten what a fine old knife it is. OH

5. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @5K Qs Thank you GT. It’s a frozen pizza with a few slices of Gouda, added, blanketing the top.

I’ve just begun an interest in Stockmans. I sure like yours.

SVTFreak and Fodderwing like this.
  6. addylo

addylo

Oct 28, 2009
    I hear ya. I felt the same way about most pieces.
    Here's a cocobolo hollow form with finial that I turned about 10 years ago. The opening is about 1". Finally had to give it up due to back issues. I've added a 77 for scale (and to keep it trad knife related).

[​IMG]

7. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    To keep it knife related. That is a really nice barlow, like the color of the scales. Love your wood turning, i can see why cocobolo makes great knife scales. sorry to hear you had to give it up.

cigarrodog and CelloDan like this.
  8. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Thanks Gary! That armor hide canoe is really cool. What are the covers? Armadillo??

Schrade cut co mini moose today.
    [​IMG]

9. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    WOW, I am contemplating perfection in this hollow form, I am beyond impressed !!! I am sorry as well you had to give it up. Thank you for posting, always so nice to meet fellow wood turners and traditional knives enthusiasts !
    I love your barlow !!! (I am on standby on the recent 77 barlow release :) )
    Cheers

10. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Beautiful oldie, Nick, early '30s? The Rough Rider Armor Hide is jigged cattle bone.

kai76 likes this.
  11. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Harvey. :) Awesome texture on your composition of the elderly lamb.

Thank you Gev. Good to see you harvesting! :cool:

Thank you GT. :)

cigarrodog likes this.
  12. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Thanks Jeff for the nice comment and for armor hide info. @5K Qs GT, it could pass off as armadillo or some exotic reptile skin!

Jeff, my guess is also that my knife is from the 30’s. Pretty sure it’s before peach seed and after pick bone but can’t remember if it was before or after the basketweave(or was it the divot style?) jigging.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  13. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    In spite of, or is it because of, the ravages of dihydrogen oxide on the steel, and rodents one the bone, that is an incredible looking old veteran. Do you have any back story on her, Dwight?

Thanks, Harvey! It's a Schrade Walden, NY USA 163. I really don't know it's age, but I'd guess maybe the '70s?
    Besides Navy Knife, I've also seen it called Rope or Hawser Knife. Big strong spring with great snap. It's deadly on tomatos!

Wow, that's a good one!

kai76, cigarrodog and Cutfinger like this.
  14. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    [​IMG]

15. Amir Fleschwund

Nov 29, 2008
    Congratulations on the new Ramsfoot! It sure is a great looking knife.

But I must compliment you on the old Pal swell end jack. So special!

SteveC likes this.
  16. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    What a peach !! The swedge work and lines of it....dandy. /and there is something in a moose pattern that resonates with me as of late.

kai76 likes this.
  17. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    It does something for the soul; this gardening :D Thanks for the sentiment ;):)

Fodderwing likes this.
  18. Amir Fleschwund

Nov 29, 2008
  19. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thanks for the response, Jeff.just love it. I’m checking out the link now.

@Fodderwing Thank you kindly, Dwight.

SteveC likes this.
  20. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Thanks Jeff :thumbsup: