What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Have a good Friday folks :) Carrying my Bagpipe Ebony Lambsfoot, and an OLd Friend from GEC ;) :thumbsup:

L9OJyXC.jpg

9NO6giq.jpg
Great pairing today, those beefy Bagpipe Ebony covers are always great to see; I still recall my first sighting of the curious OM vehicle as a kid! 😅 :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

seas165 seas165 ... THANK YOU for your selfless and most generous gift of a custom handmade left-handed sheath for my antique Cambridge Cutlery Works Bowie !!! :)
Plain leather, no carving, no tooling or embellishment ... exactly as I requested. Your efforts have exceeded my expectations !!!
This lovely sheath will break in nicely as I condition and use it. Heck, a hundred years from now, someone may look to have one exactly like it made for this knife LOL
Too much Kevin. You are greatly appreciated sir. Thank you very much !!! Thank you Thank you Thank you. Some days are better than others and this is a good one :)

6D1Y1uB.jpg

VzcdhGN.jpg

Quick question(s):

I see a lot of beautiful knife slips on here... It has got me thinking - does it make a difference carry-wise? (I mean, sure, I guess it would protect the knife from the keys in the pocket). I imagine that it is a much slower process to get a knife out and ready to use. My biggest reservation, however, is that with any leather belt sheath I have had, I have noticed that humidity and moisture can get trapped and tend to invite rust spots - does this happen in the slip too?

Just thinking about getting one and wanted to see the pros/cons from you guys who use/don't use them. So in short: why get a slip for my knife?

Please and thanks!

Last edited:
I’ve had this Schrade 861 on me the last couple of days, and it was in my pocket at my boy’s doctor visit today.

QCkfj99.jpg

He’s been carrying a Camillus Cub Scout knife for a couple of years, but bridged into a troop last year, so after his appointment we ran to Fleet Farm and he picked out a CV yeller 18.

qzIxMHj.jpg

Quick question(s):

I see a lot of beautiful knife slips on here... It has got me thinking - does it make a difference carry-wise? (I mean, sure, I guess it would protect the knife from the keys in the pocket). I imagine that it is a much slower process to get a knife out and ready to use. My biggest reservation, however, is that with any leather belt sheath I have had, I have noticed that humidity and moisture can get trapped and tend to invite rust spots - does this happen in the slip too?

Just thinking about getting one and wanted to see the pros/cons from you guys who use/don't use them. So in short: why get a slip for my knife?

Please and thanks!
I like a pocket slip because I hate when a knife goes sideways in my pocket. It annoys me LOL. Like to keep the knife vertical in my pocket and a slip often helps.
I would not leave a knife in a leather sheath or slip indefinitely without occasional care. I found out the hard way that chemicals used in some leather processing do not play nice with metal ... especially brass.
So if you do use a sheath or slip, take the knife out and wipe it down, maybe lightly oil from time to time.
Of some consideration is that not all pocket slips and knife sheaths are made of leather and cloth or man made material may be a better option depending on climate and use and storage considerations.

So in short: why get a slip for my knife?
I like them because they look great in pictures, but hardly ever use one myself. :eek:

I do use a slip on occasion, because sometimes it's just fun to have one. Like my buddy Jack Black Jack Black says, it's an extra step in enjoying your knife and i can appreciate the craftsmanship as I pull it out of my pocket. Slow down and enjoy your knives.

Also, like B BrotherJim said, they keep your knife vertical in your pocket... which is way more comfortable. When I'm not using a slip, I use a safety pin to create a vertical slip in my pocket... keeps the knife upright.

Back