what type of axe did the frisians use (sorry for the repost)

(Edit- cross posting :eek:, more of a responce to T430's handle wood thread, but still applicable here I think?)

I find it amusing the way "Europe" is used like it's a country, not picking on this thread alone as it happens a lot :) it's like using America to include everything north to south on the land mass (& more).

The culture, time span & diversify of Europe could make a huge thread about timber/wood alone besides anything else.

It should also be pointed out that seasoned wood from the local hardware store wasn't readily available for hundreds/thousands of years, often a limb/branch from the nearest tree made a handle (without knowing the exact Latin sub species name), it either worked or it didn't, if it did great, if it didn't it was replaced with another from a different tree.

I have plenty of evidence of limbs/ braches being used for tool handles, something that's frowned upon & doesn't seem to be mentioned, they are the most obvious choice for someone with a axe/hammer head that needs a handle without any monetary outlay (which would been important to say the least), by what I' ve seen a branch can be functional & long lasting. But it's not in keeping with the Amazon/eBay life we live where it seems something can only have "value" if it is payed for, usually the more the better............

:cool:

Last edited:
I found that site while looking earlier for examples of a Frisian axe. Here's the hewing axe shown on that same page:

Afbeelding5-300x224.gif

Afbeelding4.jpg

from http://boerderijenonderzoek.nl/2016/12/

Afbeelding4.jpg

That's an interesting site unto itself Steve.

Thank
I found that site while looking earlier for examples of a Frisian axe. Here's the hewing axe shown on that same page:

Afbeelding5-300x224.gif

Afbeelding4.jpg

from http://boerderijenonderzoek.nl/2016/12/

Thank you,Steve,what a brilliant stroke of research!

That was exactly the point that i tried to make(so clumsily,without this clear example...).

The marks left by the tools really tell a much fuller story than even the tools themselves,about the general culture surrounding the time in question,and much,Much,that will help us in some way to understand,or even to re-create the tool of the time.

That's a beautiful,classic German "goosewing" broadaxe.Arguably,the most elegant and complex axe in the world...They say that you can't really call yourself a carpenter till you've framed a dormer,similarly,i don't think you can be called a blacksmith till you've forged a goosewing...:)...(i haven't,though a friend and i have tried to haze one another into trying for many years now....:).
They're still made,and are available new in Gemany,as well as many a classy old ones on German ebay(surprisingly inexpensive.....).
A German friend told me that he'd seen one among the bunch of tools belonging to a fully modern construction company,staged by the side of the road among wormdrive saws,nailguns and compressors...:)...alive and well,after all the centuries...

(Edit- cross posting :eek:, more of a responce to T430's handle wood thread, but still applicable here I think?)

I find it amusing the way "Europe" is used like it's a country, not picking on this thread alone as it happens a lot :) it's like using America to include everything north to south on the land mass (& more).

The culture, time span & diversify of Europe could make a huge thread about timber/wood alone besides anything else.

It should also be pointed out that seasoned wood from the local hardware store wasn't readily available for hundreds/thousands of years, often a limb/branch from the nearest tree made a handle (without knowing the exact Latin sub species name), it either worked or it didn't, if it did great, if it didn't it was replaced with another from a different tree.

I have plenty of evidence of limbs/ braches being used for tool handles, something that's frowned upon & doesn't seem to be mentioned, they are the most obvious choice for someone with a axe/hammer head that needs a handle without any monetary outlay (which would been important to say the least), by what I' ve seen a branch can be functional & long lasting. But it's not in keeping with the Amazon/eBay life we live where it seems something can only have "value" if it is payed for, usually the more the better............

:cool:
I think there are still some guys using what ever they have on hand. Not numerous, but that mind set is not quite dead.

Yep I saw that to, thats a german/Austrian design. I have one, but thats probably more "used today", since in the old days they used the frisian ones themselves for making wooden beams!
kevin i am sad that ash trees are dieing ,do you know if they have a chance to live , also europen oak is not at my local timber store , any over options that i can find at my timber store. thanks a lot for all the help

I don't really know actually: I saw the same thing, and a lot need to be cut down. About 20% is immume though. I dont really know if the wood is usable if it's infected. If so: I would probably have bucketloads of wood available :)

As for an handle: Can you make one yourself? If so, and you cant find any wood cheaply, you could always go to a thrift shop and buy some inexpensive oak or ash furniture and make one yourself? Just be creative and think outside the box!
oh i can find oak and ash in the local timber store , oak is 14 cad per square food , ash is 11 cad per square foot , it is not that i can not afford it , it is that it is that the oak and ash are both non European species. Maybe i am being picky ,also the axe head is coming on a plane and will be here on the 11 to 19 of July

I believe ash would be the better choice: It's the same looking as our oak, same color to. Compared to our ash our ash a bit stronger and flexible, but not much. And they look identical!
thanks kevin how many board feet of ash do you think i need for my handle , also can you show me some pictures to base my handles off of , i know it is straight and has no pommle , but does that mean your hand can slip off of the handle when doing spliting

2 and no more. It's an axe with a handle of at mostly 55cm. The short ones are about 25cm. Equited to inches that would mean: Between 10 and 22 inches. Since 2 feet is 24 inches, that should be fine. But there is an alternative: You could just as well use a "normal" straight ash handle, sand down the pommel and if you want to the fit of the handle itself and your good to go. But wait with buying anything untill you get the axe: You don't know the eye shape of it yet, so not every handle will fit. Usually they tend to have medium of full size eyes.
thanks kevin i will not buy any ash wood intill i get the head as i have no way to store it inside so it does not get wet and swell, do you know what style of mask i should make , thanks for the help

thanks kevin i will not buy any ash wood intill i get the head as i have no way to store it inside so it does not get wet and swell, do you know what style of mask i should make , thanks for the help

If you want it to look more "rustic", though...just make one out of wood. Check Ugaldie's posts...

If you want it to look more "rustic", though...just make one out of wood. Check Ugaldie's posts...

Here's a wooden axe sheath that came with my Craftsman single oval boys axe. I thought it was kinda clever.
Craftsman%20Oval1.jpg

Craftsman%20Oval2.jpg

Craftsman%20Oval3.jpg

It uses 2 softwood wedges (so they don't split from nailing) and 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood. But you could substitute 1/4 plank wood and have something that easily could have been made in the period.

Back