What was your first car/vehicle and when?

1974 Plymouth Duster. 318 v8 three speed Automatic. I got it from my Great Grandmother in 1985 with less that 30,000 original miles on the odometer. Still smelled new. jacked up the rear end, put headers and a dual exhaust with California turbos on it. Scrapped the original AM only Radio for a halfway decent stereo. I put 70,000 hard miles on that car. By the time I got rid of it, I didn't even bother to change the oil anymore as I usually added a half a quart or more with every fill up. Leaked radiator fluid, trans fluid, and power steering fluid. (sometimes I didn't have power steering fluid on hand, oil seemed to work OK) You had to keep it floored or the transmission would hang up between second and third. (that didn't bother me, that's how I drove anyway.) if you wanted to restart it when it was still hot you needed to pop off the top of the airfilter and block the butterflies open or it would flood. Windshield washers didn't work. (thank god for rain-X) leaked when it rained, I spent hundreds but never went through a summer where the AC didn't die a couple times, I mest have put five or six starters in it before I learned to stop it from flooding. I always planned on painting it but never did get around to changing the color from it's original horrible dark green. (I called it puke green.) Still, from a stoplight that car would scream.

Grizz

1974 Mercury Capri.
CapriMe.jpg

Got it in '76.
It wasn't fast buy boyhowdy could it turn.
Rack and pinion (non-power) steering.
Air shocks and the fattest T/A Radials I could fit on it.
Had to stomp on the gas to turn the steering wheel when parallel parking.

Ebb, I do some amateur photography and I have to say that is a really great photo! Where and when was this taken?

I'd also like to take this time to say that my dream machine would be the car from Bullit. 1968 390 V8 Ford Mustang Fastback. I would learn to drive stick if it meant owning that SOB. Even Mcqueen tried to buy the car, but was unsuccessful. I can picture him tearing up Beverly Hills, throwing trash all over James Garner's driveway.

Last edited:
Thank you SS1978 :)
I took that photo down at Rock-Rock-Rockaway Beach in 1976 or 1977.
It was a very foggy night.
Used my Minolta SRT 101 with Kodachrome slide film.
Recently scanned the chrome and switched it to B&W.
Left the dust, spots and scratches in for character.

Looking back, this shot was taken before the T/A Radials.
I also painted all the chrome black... windshield & bumper trim, around the headlights.
The wheels were painted black, the centers stayed chrome and I added the ever popular chrome trim rings.
Never did get a real motor in it.
Sold it to buy this :)

TheChief.jpg

I still have my first car, a 1958 Olds 4 door Hardtop, she is not currently on the road but hope to have it back on the road in a few years.
The first car I drove all the time was a 1988 Chevy Celebrity(me and my old man shared it), they sure made horrible cars in the 80's!!!

A 1989 Camaro that I bought off the side of the road in '95 for $4k. My dad drove it for a couple years when I bought my first truck and then my brother got it and he is still driving it every day. He could buy a good car but won't let it go for some reason. I put it through a rough couple years but nothing like my brother has. It is a sight for sore eyes. It's blue and still has the original 5 liter. I will have to ask how many miles it has on it these days.

My 1st was a 1976 GMC pickup that I bought in 1978. It drank gas like water and would only go about 85 miles an hour. I put about 20,000 hard miles on it and then bought a new 1979. It was a lot better truck and I drove it until 1986.

1965 Olds 98, 425 four barrel, got it in 74. Was my grandfathers car, glad to have it and back in those days a ride was a ride

That's cool that we all got something to drive! can you imagine those athletic bike rider women in asia?

First car was a '72 Honda 600 Coupe, so small, it had a 600 cc 2 cylinder motorcycle motor in it, so light and small 3 people could pick it up and put it over the fence in the yard. I put 7 miles on it drivein' back and forth in my yard for 2 years before I got my license, never made it on the road, sold it to buy a motorcycle so legally my first car was my moms gold '68 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible, sold it in 78 to buy a 62 Willys Jeep with a Buick Turbo V-6 in it, drove that one off a cliff a year after I bought it in a drunken fit of off roadin' at night.

First MC was a Suzuki 2 stroke 150cc street bike imported from Japan, my first legal street bike was a Honda 500T I got at 17, sold that within' a year and bought a Norton 750 Commando, (wish I still had it).

I had a '72 Honda AZ600 too! I bought three from the police impound yard and made one restored car painted fire engine red. I didn't drive it long, mostly because of the instant death factor if I had ever gotten hit. I saw a few that had. Mine got about 42 mpg and had 10" tires.

I had a '72 Honda AZ600 too! I bought three from the police impound yard and made one restored car painted fire engine red. I didn't drive it long, mostly because of the instant death factor if I had ever gotten hit. I saw a few that had. Mine got about 42 mpg and had 10" tires.

My Old Man had bought 2 of 'em in '75 before he died, we were gonna take the 2 front ends and weld 'em together to make me a pushmepullme car that ya could drive in either direction without usin' reverse, we had just built a '71 Chevy CST20 4WD pickup from the ground up, took 2 years, we took it completely apart, every nut and bolt was removed from everything, complete motor rebuild and took the Suburban Frame and made a extended bed out of it, (the Old man was a Fleet Mechanic for Shell Oil) that was the last project we did together, I was 15 and he was 37 when he died in a plane crash with 5 other friends of ours.

My mom sold the truck to pay bills, (sold it for $2,000:().

1971 El Camino, dark green with black landau top, 350 automatic with air.

A '57 Chevy I bought in 1965. I paid $350 for it. Who knew in '65 that this car would be a classic.....I sold it about 2 years later. My grandmother gave me her

1958 Chrysler. I should have kept the Chevy tho. The Chrysler had a lot more problems than the Chevy(no problems at all that I can remember).

The Chevy had vaccuum wipers. They worked off the vaccuum on the engine....if you stepped on the gas when the wipers were on they stopped moving.

Not fun passing another car in rain or snow....................

1988 ford tempo in 1998. Baby poo brown. it came standard with all the goodies: non working fuel gauge, passenger side door that did not open, headliner that was peeling (matching the paint) and a transmission that would only leave a light it you put it into neutral while it was red.
It stranded me on prom AND graduation night. When it stranded me again on i10 in the middle of nowhere ( before cell phones!) it was junked and I got a grand am.

My first was a 1989 mercery tracer. I saved for months for that little POS. After 3 months the engine was shot and the tranny was close behind. So my dad bought both and we put them in. After the swap the car ran excellent and I drove the hell out of it all summer and one fateful evening I was stopped at a stop sign and a lady in a jacked up chevy went left of center and hit me head on. Needless to say it was completely totaled.

Back