What We Love About Dave...

Our friend Dave is experiencing some incredibly difficult challenges recently. After reading some of the threads about him, it is clear that many of us are feeling pretty helpless about everything. After thinking about this for awhile I realized that there is something that we can do. We can take this opportunity to tell Dave and his family why he is so special to our community. After all, don't you want him to know. Wouldn't it be nice for Dave to wake up and read such a list while he experiences the ebbs and flows of his recovery. I think it would be nice for his family and friends to read too. I'll be happy to begin the list:

I think Dave is wonderful because he is someone who never takes himself too seriously. As someone who is probably closer to the other side of the spectrum, I've always found Dave's personality to be refreshing and inspiring. Wouldn't it be fantastic if there were more people like Dave. The world would certainly be a happier place.

I have a lot more to add, but I'll let some others express their views first.

EDITED TO ADD: All of the posts in this thread will be forwarded to Dave and his family.

(BTW, this is not a sympathy thread. This is purely a "why we love Dave thread." Please save your sympathy for the other thread. Thanks. :) )

The man always makes me laugh, and if anyone has a distorted view of reality it's Dave :D

Not to sound like a broken record, but he is so funny! He has a wonderful sense of humor and doesn't take life too seriously, but just seriously enough. He is a good person with a good heart. He can speak his mind without being cruel. And he can laugh at himself.

~ashes

Dave is the most generous and giving person that I know. He would give you the shirt off his back if he thought it would help. He knows how to be a great friend and that isn't as easy as most people think! Being kind and caring is second nature for him and he has done very well under the weight of tremendous stressors. Despite all his problems he listens to his sense of what is right and wrong and genuinely enjoys making others laugh and I love his strange and sometimes warped sense of humor.

I agree, it's the sense of humor. "Avant Guard" or 'Off the Wall" does not even begin to describe Dave's sense of humor.

His Kindness and wisdom. I ate with him at Blade a few years ago..Behind all the humor..was a guy you knew would watch your six..

Don't know the man myself but it's always tough for anybody to deal with even one of the things that struck him lately, let alone a combination of them. I hope he DOES get here again and reads this stuff so i might get to know him (as much as one can online). I wish you a full recovery Dave !!!

Dave has a great enthusiasm for things that go bang, or are sharp and pointy. Coupled with his tremendous, out of left field sense of humor and his willingness to write pages of hilarious stuff make him an irreplacable part of the knife community. Being irreplacable, it's imperative that he recover and rejoin the discussions. I had the chance to meet him at Bade West a couple years ago and we had a nice chat. Truly one of the good guys.

Strokes suck, and run in my family (cancer and heart disease too, tipee!). A couple years ago my Mom had a major brain injury from a burst aenurysm. The was in a complete coma for weeks and the Dr.s had us looking into conservatorship and long term care facilities. Then one day she woke up! These days she's back to her old self and working at American Airlines. I know Dave's a fighter just like Mom is and he'll be back among us soon.

John

VG has a unique personality and a unique sense of humour. I would like to meet him in person. I really miss reading his posts! :(

I always enjoy all of his posts. They are always of substantial length, always funny and well thought out. He addresses all questions and comments when you post in one of this threads and he puts allot of effort into his presense here just to bring joy to others. I hope we all get to read allot of his posts again in the future :(

In a word...........Everything. The world is a better place with him in it.

I guess after all the years VG has cheered US up, it's about time to help cheer him up a bit.

Dave is one of the very few genuinely good people on this planet. Simple as that.

And ofcourse he's funny as hell. He's got the wackiest sense of humor I've ever seen in one man.

Dave, you simply have to get better. You're a retired Marine, MUTHERPHUCK this heart attack. Take names and kick it's butt. You can do it. We all know it, you simply are that tough. :)

SHalom, Dave,
Emanuel Roth

He has a great way of saying things that we're all thinking, but nobody will dare say... and he gets away with it!

Dave strikes me as a bloke who dances to his own tune. He's had the strength of character to stay original in a world where the pressure to conform is considerable. We all start with that spark of genius in us most of us gradually lose it as we concede to the expectations of others. People like Dave show us how we can keep that child-like mischievous bushranger alive.

As the self appointed authority in these matters, Dave, I hereby appoint you an honorary Australian. Get well soon.

Like many people here, I've never met Dave personally, but feel a real connection to him. He is an odd mix of tough guy and obvious kind-hearted softie who puts his life, ups and downs, out there for everyone to see. He just seems very genuine, and that is real rare these days. And of course his wacky humor has brought me a lot of much-needed laughs.

Lorena, mystery meat explained, tactical Micra, Neck Hatchet and Vengeful Ear Knife, whacking himself in the eye with a rifle scope, cloning and the Cult of the Gerbil, and various other stuff that I can't remember right now. Some probably best not to remember...:D

I really hope for all the best for a truly unique human being!!

I liked the running commentary on his site, with pictures no less, of his 'big' knife cut though one of his tattoos, and the folllowing hospital run to get it fixed. I'd say it helped him get through that deal by keeping a positive attitude.
I pray he gets through these latest troubles.

Howard

Ive talked to VG for years, and only met him once- at blade show this past June. Meething him confirmed my suspicions of him...that he is one of the best men I have ever met/known/ considered a friend.

Hang in there bud.
Mo

VG's post are some of the only long posts that I read with my being a pretty lazy reader and all. In fact the only exception is probably Kliff Stump I'll those long posts too. :D

Dave always makes me laugh. But beneath that big figure lies a gentle soul with a big heart. As usual he will rise to the occasion and have a couple of good laughs with us when he back on his feet. :)

Back