1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What were they thinking.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hickory n steel, May 31, 2019.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    They used to be Bear MGC I believe, they've been around a long time but I think it's probably .ore recently they've started making modern type knives besides their balisongs.

2. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Bear, Gerber, Boker Magnum, etc - there’s easily a dozen brands that have this weird in-between line of knives with features of what we would consider quality knives, but with a price:quality disparity that makes them nonstarters for anyone who would have a registered account here.

... But the brands we buy don’t often end up in Wal-Mart knife cases, in a blister pack on a peg at Lowe’s, or in a spinning display at a midwestern interstate gas station, and I’d wager that your average knife buyer makes such a purchase about once every five years and isn’t going to waste their time learning about carbide density.

They see a knife, they think they (or the recipient) will like it, they see AMERICAN SURGICAL STAINLESS and the decision is basically made. And, you know what? They will never think twice about it, the knife will slowly fall apart, and the circle of knife continues.

We’re here because we think of knives differently and put them on a bit of a mental pedestal, whereas most people - while probably aware that expensive pocket knives exist - think of pocket knives more or less the way one does about a pair of scissors.

3. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    : ) i knew a hairdresser once who explained to me why her $250 hair scissors were absolutely necessary to work (and this is going back 30+ years ago)...

I was glad for the education; it's an eye opener when you realize they literally have to use the damn things 8+ hours a day

James Y and marrenmiller like this.
  4. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    meh :thumbsdown:

5. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Looks like a ZT copy.

6. wackafew

wackafew Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I picked up one several months ago for about $34.00. The 440A blade seems to hold it's edge fairly well. I think the blades are made somewhere in Alabama. Overall it's not a bad little knife. JMO

As advertised: Bear Edge™ is a new line of assisted opening knives from Bear and Sons® Cutlery. These knives are built in the U.S.A. with a few parts manufactured overseas. The blades are heat-treated and ground in Jacksonville, Alabama.

The 3-1⁄4" drop point plain edge blade is U.S.A. made 440A stainless at 57-59 Rc. The handles are green G-10 over stainless steel liners. The blade opens quickly using the flipper and a quick flick of the wrist thanks to the ball bearing washers. A liner lock, it measures 4-1/2" closed and weighs 4.4 oz. Ships with a reversible/removable pocket clip positioned for tip up carry. Built in the U.S.A.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  7. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I think I'd rather have a blade made in China than Alabama.

Danke42 likes this.
  8. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Hmm.

I didn't know Europeans were so snotty. Er, discriminating. ?!?

And my wife and I both have German grandparents. The southern U.S. must have mellowed us out.

9. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Hmm

I'm a Floridian not a German so apparently the south didn't mellow me out

willc likes this.
  10. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I’ve been in the US since I was a twinkle in my dad’s eye and a complicated process in my mom’s uterus that I have honestly a tenuous grasp on (there’s something about embedding in the wall but I’m super shaky on what actually makes that happen) and I also would rather have a 8Cr blade from China than a 440A blade from Alabama.

I buy knives so I can cut things and play with expensive knives like a wealthy toddler, not to pat myself on the back for questionably-effective political-economic choices.

11. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    This

12. wackafew

wackafew Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2008
    As I stated a couple posts earlier, I purchased this Bear & Sons knife to give it a try, knowing it's a budget friendly knife and 440A steel. I'm retired and live on a family farm, and I have several lower priced knives I rotate with. A RAT-1 AUS8, UtilitacII in AUS8, a Spyderco Tenacious in 8cr, a Buck 110 Lite in 420HC, and a EKA in 12C27. I use these knives for opening up feed sacks, cutting open hay bales, sometimes working on equipment. For me, it's nice to have a budget knife that I can use like a $2 fiddle and not really care if it would scratch, chip or break, or if I would lose it somewhere out in the field. Sure I have more expensive knives I enjoy and use when I go camping, fishing or hunting, or to fiddle with in the evening when I'm sitting on the couch watching cupcake wars. Bottom line, I think there's a place for a budget knife.

aleforme, DocJD, James Y and 2 others like this.
  13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I own a couple Bear & Sons (B&S) slippies and was not impressed with them. I stopped even looking at the Remington knives after I learned B&S was making them. I understand that has changed again and Buck is making the line now. I suspect that B&S cuts their own blade blanks, heat treats and assembles the final knives at their factory in AL.

I compare their knives to Rough Ryder stuff. Been impressed with RR's 440A overall for the workmanship, overall quality and price range. B&S has the capability to make a great knife. I just don't think they would sell at the price point they would have to place them at when the Chinese stuff is generally fairly good overall. I don't fault B&S even a little making this knife.

There is certainly a large market in the US for budget friendly knives. I believe that most knife buyers are aware of the more expensive knives that are available, but either their budget does not allow them to get one, they don't have the background or interest to learn about the higher priced knives, or they simply don't care and most knife purchases are impulse buys at the local hardware store or home center.

dirc likes this.
  14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    It would be interesting to have a break down on sales between modern and traditional knives at various price points based on sales at the large knife store in Sevierville TN. They get a lot of tourist type store traffic and I would be willing to bet that most buy something while they are there and knives priced under $30 dominate. They do carry the B&S line as well as Frost from Chattanooga, along with the higher end product lines.

I visit that store a couple times a year and usually walk out with a new Vic, lately a couple Rough Ryders, Condors in the past, maybe a Mora, and occasionally a folder that sells for over $100.

15. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    "What were they thinking?"

What leads you to believe they were thinking?

16. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Looks better and fresher than many titanium folders nowadays.I see nothing wrong with the design.

17. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Cupcake wars...... Solid show. Just sayin.

18. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Well they had the thought to actually market the knife through a TV commercial, but then again so did the makers of all those crappy as seen on TV products :D

afishhunter likes this.
  19. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Alabama is on my don’t buy list, now and for the foreseeable future.

20. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    It's all politics

Id rather buy from an honest communist that a Jesus land pseudo capitalist...Both are worthy of scorn, but only one is pseudo American