What will become of your collection...when you are gone

So much uncertainty about one's much beloved edged material possessions
left behind in the event of sudden demise.
Whilst personally prized it may have been,
It may pose a particularly difficult,
if not become a somewhat peculiar matter
which would either delight or burden the living....
It's always best to keep a record of every item to help make any future job of valuing easier.
Otherwise I can't help but think that some lone stranger might
turn up here someday in these here forums
and ask about the value of a bunch of "old knives"...
Yup, knock wood and sell well before the inevitable effects of a ripe age catches up.

It won't matter to me by then. I have no kids, and even if I did, there would be no guarantee they would want my knives. Kids don't always value what their fathers value.

I plan to be cremated and my ashes scattered at sea as opposed to burial, so nothing will be buried with me. Maybe in the far future I'll sell off most of them to people who will value them, and not burden my relatives with having to do that.

For me I want my daughter to have the ones she remembers be carrying if she wants them. The rest doesn't matter . I use everyone I get so the value isn't as great anyway. I really want to leave my family with the love i have for them and most of all my faith an trust in CHRIST.
What Worldly possessions I have don't really matter what happens to them for me by and large.
I have a couple knives at least for her and the first bible I preached from. And of course anything else she wants.

My kids will get them, and I now have a 1 week old niece with a mother that is into knives, so she will get some too. My son is only 2yo but he loves knives (and guns) with very little prompting from me. It just seems natural to him.

I will also tell them the "I will haunt you if you pawn them"

I'll pass my soul on to one of my knifes and seal the knife in the onvelope wtih interusctons on who to sedn it 2. Then my soul wlli transfer from tha knife 2 da purson hoo got Dee knife. I will possee dem.

Kinda like Annabelle but way more Kool.

My son and grandsons will divide them out.Grandaughters may want one,too.The only stipulation I have made is whoever is the one who takes over the farm gets my Edmund Davidson Loveless Hunter.

Gonna give everything away before I'm gone. One in my pocket for the cremation. That way nobody can argue about it. Same thing with my 25+ guns. My Dad did this and it worked out fine. You just have to be able to admit to yourself what's coming and deal with it. I'm already giving knives away at 65. Of course I'm still pickin' up one every now and then too.:)--KV

As I get older I realize you can't take the stuff to the grave with you. I'd rather have a better quality of life for myself, my friends and family. Which I neglected priorities for wants.

I just ask my wife what her plans are for my knives because I can have all the plans in the world but, I won't be around anymore.
So, It's really up to her.

She plans to keep the SOG I picked up on our honeymoon and then let my daughter pick what knives she wants. Some knives are already set aside for the grandkids (if I ever get any). Chances are, a few will be passed on to extended family. The rest will be donated or sold except the one buried with me.

I can see it now, my father's M3 Trench Knife getting donated to Goodwill...

Last edited:
it's something I wonder about sometimes, as I don't have a wife or kids. I guess at one point I'll start to sell/gift them.

As long as it is somebody who respects knives. So many people don't know how to handle or care for a knife. I don't have any kids but I have a nephew. His dad (my sister's husband) got me started making knives in the first place.

For me I want my daughter to have the ones she remembers be carrying if she wants them. The rest doesn't matter . I use everyone I get so the value isn't as great anyway. I really want to leave my family with the love i have for them and most of all my faith an trust in CHRIST.
What Worldly possessions I have don't really matter what happens to them for me by and large.
I have a couple knives at least for her and the first bible I preached from. And of course anything else she wants.

Amen!!!!

I needed to read this post to remind me that I don't need another knife. I may die with no heirs and scavengers will rummage through my accumulation of drek like it's Scrooge's estate. I think I'll go clean out the attic now.

Back