What will become of your collection...when you are gone

If they bother, the kids will divvy up what little I have. If they don’t bother, Goodwill will have to figure out what to do with some EDC and tactical folders.

Excluding those that are going into the box with me, and the Buck knifes I'm not taking with me, I'd guess that after the next 4 or 5 generations, they will be worn out and disposed of.
The Buck's will still be going strong, of course, since they can be sent in for a SPA treatment and reblade as needed. :)

I’ve been thinking about that. At 61 I’m going to sell most of mine in the next few years. At times I think why did I buy all this crap and actually use so few. My kids will choose a few, the rest BF will get. Worse than that is my gun and watch collection. Hopefully I will get some time to liquidate before the end. My hobbies are not my wife or kids and it would be unfair to burden them when I’m gone. It’s just stuff

I don't have kids so who knows. I'll be dead..won't much matter but I hope they go to someone who appreciates knives. I'm starting to seriously use them for that very reason.

It depends on what assets I have when the time comes. I don't have any children, but my brother has two. The children are estranged from the family due to a divorce. Depending on how the children turn out, I'll leave everything that I have to one, both, or nobody in the family and leave my entire estate to a hospital for research.

I’m going to tell my kids to keep the few they’re likely to really want and donate the rest to local police and fire departments.

My son and son in law get first dibs. After that, my son will sell the rest. Money goes to his mom. Everything is valued, cataloged.

Three sons.

Same here. They will divy up the knives and guns with instructions to use ‘em or just hold ‘em, and pass ‘em down. So far as I see it, those things are heirloom items. How awesome would it be to have my great grandad’s knife or .45 Colt? Even if it were nonfunctional, what a great piece of family history!

My wife will prolly sell them for what I told her I paid for them and somebody will make out like a BANDITO!

Hopefully, my grandson will get a few, along with my nephews and their children. Whatever is left will probably be sold at a yard sale or to a pawn shop. Then someone will start a thread here to show off their yardsale/pawn purchase and thus the circle of the knife life continues to live on.;)

I’ve sold or given away most of my knife, gun and coin collections. I had fun collecting, made a little money. I’m not going to worry about what happens to the rest of it.

I've been dumping for several yrs now...getting rid of stuff that I've never carried, and bought a couple of high-end fixed blades just to see what they are like. Gave a ton of them to kids and gd-kids and nephews...(have no nieces).
I used to have at least a hundred or more knives around...now down to perhaps ten or fifteen...
I don't plan to have more than 2-4 knives left when I'm gone...
At least, my Paypal account has more money in it...

At first I want to say that I don’t care what happens to them. My small collection has meaning only to me. They’ll fall to my brother and his son. Neither will have a clue as to what they are.

I will be well passed caring, but, I suspect the entire collection will be unceremoniously tossed in the trash as clutter. The present generation is too self absorbed to appreciate cultural artifacts or history, and they certainly wouldn't want to be associated with our paleo-man-hobby.

n2s

I have a spreadsheet that lists all my knives and a brief description, as well as what I paid, where it came from, what it is worth (updated occasionally) - same thing for my guns.

I assume the family will keep a few of them and then there will be a heckuva' estate sale.
best

mqqn

I am going to try to thin out my collection so there won't be so many. I have tons of value knives. None I my children seem to care about knives. I'm glad I only collected guns for a few years.

Not something i would think about a lot, considering im only 16. I aint taking them with me, im sure by that time ill have more knives and definately more knowledge, and my hope is that someone else will get that use and learn like i did.

Back