What would you do? Opinions needed/wanted. Praetorian, Sebenza, XM's

I am fortunate and blessed enough to be in a position to make a pretty significant knife purchase in the near future. I own no Chris Reeve or Rick Hinderer knives (I have always wanted to try them). I do own a Medford TFF-1. It is the most solid knife I have ever held. 100% solid lock-up with zero lock stick, rock lock or plade play.
I have $850 to spend. Here's what I pretty much have narrowed the choices down to:

1) Large plain Sebenza and an XM-18
2) XM-24 and hold the extra $200 until Titanium scales are available
3) Medford Praetorian-T and pocket the $150

Anyone with experience with all 3 knives? That would be valued input. Thanks all.

Before you set your mind on production, maybe look into customs. If I had a large amount I'd rather spend it on something Noone else would have

I'd say get one of the following:

-CRK Umnumzaan or Sebenza 21/25
-Rockstead Higo or Chi
-Custom from André Thorburn
-If you can find one, a Matt Diskin Fire (they're rare)

I have owned all of the one's you are considering. The XM and the Sebbie both can be underwhelming until put to good use, then they shine (particularly the Hinderer). The Praetorian T absolutely will floor you when you first behold, and it is an amazing knife that doesn't deserve some of the hate it gets IMHO. That said, I'd snag a Medford Viper while new ones can still be had (they are discontinued) - the more I use mine the more I'm stunned by the design, execution, and friggin' sick edge this thing has.

Last edited:
Officer's Match- That Viper is a beauty. Definately something to also consider.
Everyone else- I appreciate the inputs thus far. Keep them coming. Thanks.

I'm amazed that a blade of .26" stock can slice like this can, it push cuts phonebook paper with ease, even at super slow speed. Love the minimalist industrial design (pivot, one fastener thru a standoff into tapped slab on other side), robust (and super comfortable in the grip) pocketclip, surprisingly versatile ergo's. I also love that it is slim top-to-bottom at the butt (clip end) making it easy to reach into the pocket with knife in place.

This is a tough call. If you really like big knives then I would have to go the XM-24 route. My XM-24 Skinner is a beast and one of my favorite knives ever. If the bigger size knife is not a must then I would go XM-18 and Sebenza 25! Good luck in your choice. Regardless you are looking at getting some awesome knives!

This is a tough call. If you really like big knives then I would have to go the XM-24 route. My XM-24 Skinner is a beast and one of my favorite knives ever. If the bigger size knife is not a must then I would go XM-18 and Sebenza 25! Good luck in your choice. Regardless you are looking at getting some awesome knives!

whitty- I noticed you specified a Sebenza 25. Any particular reason you prefer that over the 21. The 21 pivot system is what draws me in.

I don't know what size you prefer but I'd probably say a Large 21 for the sake of the pivot system and 3.5" XM. If you've never owned either, you'll always wonder about them seeing that you have some interest in them. You can always sell them for minimal loss and get something else and at least say you've tried them.

-Custom from André Thorburn

I'm considering this route. I guess this is a pretty noob question but how would I go about ordering one from Mr. Thorburn? Google shows a weird thorinox.co.za website that just shows a blank page.

I'm considering this route. I guess this is a pretty noob question but how would I go about ordering one from Mr. Thorburn? Google shows a weird thorinox.co.za website that just shows a blank page.

It's not easy to get him to do a custom order. Often times (from what I gather), he makes a bunch of folders and sends them out to certain dealers or sells them at shows. If you keep your eye out you'll be able to snag one.

As for his website, I think it's down. I've browsed his site before, so I think it may just be having problems.

With that much $$, get a custom knife!! Do yourself a favor, and look at one of these sites. You might find a maker that you want to order from, or there is a knife there that you want.
May I suggest that you take a look on the following sites:
Ture North Knives.com
Steel Addiction.com
Kniefology.com
EBossHoss.com
Arizonacustomknives.com

whitty- I noticed you specified a Sebenza 25. Any particular reason you prefer that over the 21. The 21 pivot system is what draws me in.

I personally like the 25 a little more than the 21. Both a are awesome knives but I like the weight and feel of the 25 more for my size hands. It honestly on those 2 comes down to personal preference!

It's not easy to get him to do a custom order. Often times (from what I gather), he makes a bunch of folders and sends them out to certain dealers or sells them at shows. If you keep your eye out you'll be able to snag one.

As for his website, I think it's down. I've browsed his site before, so I think it may just be having problems.

Gotcha, thanks.

If I were you I'd check out customs, as others have mentioned, but of the options you listed, #1 (Sebenza 21 and XM-18) is the best. They're both excellent knives, and you'll want to try them out sometime, might as well be now! Also, they'd be easy to re-sell without losing too much on them, in case they turn out not to be your thing.

If you go custom route, you likely have to spend over $1,000 for the knife that equal in quality to CRK...

With that budget, it would be worth looking into customs, as many have said. I would personally consider Matt Diskin and Olamic Cutlery (both more "midtech"), Andre Thorburn and Andre Van Heerden, David Clark, Les Voorhies, Jason Clark, and Tobin Smith. Shirogorov is another option, though they are still inflated in price (though beautifully executed), so the other makers may yield a better value. YMMV.

Praetorian T and upgrade to Ti hardware (Spend that $150!!)

You have a TFF-1, so the other two knives on this list will disappoint you.....

Back