What would you do? Opinions needed/wanted. Praetorian, Sebenza, XM's

I own Sebenzas and Hinderers. Here is what I suggest:

1st. Large Sebenza 21. Such an amazing knife for the price.
2nd. Rockstead Higo in DLC. The Fit and finish is better then the Sebenza in my opinion.
3rd. Hinderer in the 3 inch model. Personally the 3.5 inch is too heavy for EDC.

Armadew

Reisloafer
As you an see, there are a lot of varying opinions here! :D

I love my XM-24, but if you're leaning towards an Umnumzaan, do it! You won't likely regret it.

If you have never had a Chris Reeve folder then you really should get one if only to have as a "Standard" to your future knife collecting career. They really are so very good/great.

I have my Sebenza 17 years now so my suggestion today would be a Chris Reeve Large Inkosi, just because they have everything that has been learnt from all the years making the Sebenza and all the feedback. A Mnandi too for how a small folder should be done.

Then you can buy in the future anything else as you will have Chris Reeve covered and anything else is because you fancy it. Have the base covered so the rest is for the fun of it. And there is a lot of fun to be had with so many fantastic takes to the folder genre. Start with a Chris Reeve, you might never go further, and if you do go further you at least have no nagging feeling that you are missing out on something.

Last edited:
Have owned and used Hinderers, good knives but not up to CRK tolerances and overall fitment. Plus NOTHING beats a Sebenza 21 in the maintenance department, there is no knife that is more of a joy to pull apart and see go back together at 100% perfect action and feel with zero effort, zero adjustment, zero loctite and zero worries. Plus it just cuts better than the XM's, try slice an apple with a Hinderer, feels like splitting wood with an axe, just not a slicer. Great knife to collect but not so much for EDC in my opinion.

rexromic

Gold Member
Have owned and used Hinderers, good knives but not up to CRK tolerances and overall fitment. Plus NOTHING beats a Sebenza 21 in the maintenance department, there is no knife that is more of a joy to pull apart and see go back together at 100% perfect action and feel with zero effort, zero adjustment, zero loctite and zero worries. Plus it just cuts better than the XM's, try slice an apple with a Hinderer, feels like splitting wood with an axe, just not a slicer. Great knife to collect but not so much for EDC in my opinion.
Well said :thumbup:.

archieblue

Gold Member
I say get a brand spankin' new plain scaled Large Sebenza 21 and pump the brakes on everything else. Use that knife like you found it. Then use the rest of the funds to buy whatever CRK floats your boat because you'll almost certainly want another one. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am fortunate and blessed enough to be in a position to make a pretty significant knife purchase in the near future. I own no Chris Reeve or Rick Hinderer knives (I have always wanted to try them). I do own a Medford TFF-1. It is the most solid knife I have ever held. 100% solid lock-up with zero lock stick, rock lock or plade play.
I have $850 to spend. Here's what I pretty much have narrowed the choices down to:

1) Large plain Sebenza and an XM-18
2) XM-24 and hold the extra $200 until Titanium scales are available
3) Medford Praetorian-T and pocket the $150

Anyone with experience with all 3 knives? That would be valued input. Thanks all.

I would pick the Hinderer XM-18 based on its heavy duty construction. Even the 'non fatty' blade is 0.165 inch thick, or 4.2 mm. The 'fatty' and the XM-24 share the blade thickness of 0.185 inch, or 4.7 mm thick. 4.2mm is very thick for a 3 1/2 inch long knife blade. At least one big website has a few of the 'choil less' M390 blade steel Hinderer XM-18 3 1/2" knives. They cost $425, with free shipping.

The Hinderer XM-18 is available in at least EIGHT different blade grinds; some can be hard to find, though.

The Hinderer XM-24 is a VERY large and heavy knife, for having 'only' a 4 inch blade length. It is huge and heavy next to the XM-18.

Where I live, it's legal to carry a knife up to 4 inches long. I've never carried an XM-24. The blade LOOKS about 5" long. Or longer.

My 2 cents worth.

I own Sebenzas and Hinderers. Here is what I suggest:

1st. Large Sebenza 21. Such an amazing knife for the price.
2nd. Rockstead Higo in DLC. The Fit and finish is better then the Sebenza in my opinion.
3rd. Hinderer in the 3 inch model. Personally the 3.5 inch is too heavy for EDC.

I own all three brands. I agree with the 3rd.

Thanks for all the replies. This was an old thread that I never updated. I apologize for that. I ended up buying an XM-18 3.5 two tone skinner. I really love it. Nice solid knife. I saved and added the additional money, several months later and went ahead and got a new Medford Praetorian T as well. The XM doesn't see any real pocket time now.
20170101_143030_zpsxfxersvx.jpg

Last edited:

Sonnydaze

Gold Member
Given what you already own and use, I wouldn't guess that you need ANOTHER one of that size and capability. As Whitty said earlier, the Sebenza 25 is a small amount heavier/thicker in the blade than the Sebenza model 21, and should be a perfectly compatible folder to your TFF-1.
I've owned multiples of the large Sebenza models, 21's and 25, and I prefer the 21 as it fits my needs perfectly. I have one in my pocket right now, for that matter, a large Classic Sebenza.
Certainly, you could spend more money, but I don't know why you would need to.

aleforme

Gold Member
After reading this entire thread, it's clear you are currently looking to buy one of these knives and have not made a decision yet.

Given that and what ever you do, DO NOT BUY a Medford Praetorian or XM 18! Can't say this loud enough. Especially the XM18 Skinner!

I'm just glad I saved you from a horrible decision. It's what I do.

After reading this entire thread, it's clear you are currently looking to buy one of these knives and have not made a decision yet.

Given that and what ever you do, DO NOT BUY a Medford Praetorian or XM 18! Can't say this loud enough. Especially the XM18 Skinner!

I'm just glad I saved you from a horrible decision. It's what I do.

LOL. Well played.

I'm curious how long people will continue to weigh in with their suggestions.

Sonnydaze

Gold Member
Well, heck, I'm back so I'll add another bit.
The two most expensive folders that I've owned were XM-18's: a 3.5" Spanto and a 3" slicer. I paid $725 and $750 for those two knives.
The 3.5" had (pretty common then) a weak detent; could easily be shaken open, and opened ONCE in my pocket. ONCE was enuf.
The 3" slicer was just an uncommonly heavy (and too thick) 3" bladed folder. I sold both within two weeks or so and would never consider another. It's obvious that there are many folks who love Hinderers and certainly the prices are much reduced recently, but I will suggest that they have their own reasons and I respect those reasons.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC