What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by David Mary, Oct 4, 2019.

1. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    I think he meant what design changes. ;)

2. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Looks good. The flipper was taking up way too much space to begin with...
    I've compared the delica and mantras and it's like this. With flipper delete, mantra 3 is comparable to your delica with how much space you get for front two fingers, but the titanium mantra, the space there is more generous, it's closer to endura.
    I like the fob for when I spread something on a sandwich, I tend to hold the knife more back on the grip with mantra and with slick scales the lanyard helps. They really want you to just hold that mantra in one grip and do everything in it. With finger on the ramp you know. The titanium m4 version is thinner BTE.
    https://imgur.com/a/Pim2DXp

Dallas T and David Mary like this.
  3. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Check out this top picture
    [​IMG]
    Notice how the pivot screw is more in the center visually also.
    See I wanted to cut into this area to have even more room for front two fingers.
    Then it would expose the liners inside and I wanted to add jimping on the exposed liners.

I also like to mirror polish the spine on some knives.
    Spyderbenza https://imgur.com/a/sSpPOQt

And if I'd like to have a clip on a delica
    I would do this
    https://imgur.com/a/TML59Eo

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    David Mary likes this.
  4. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    I like the look of the handle on the Mantra. The blade steel too seems interesting, though Cruwear sounds better for my preferences. I've never liked the look of partially exposed liners, although I guess that is hardly different from the top of the Mantra 3 before the thumb ramp. From a practical stand point, what you say would definitely work, and if your skill is there, you could surely make it look good, too. I like your Spyderbenza. But there are some pretty gruesome shots in that second link! :eek:

Sergeua likes this.
  5. GundaManiac

GundaManiac Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks for sharing, David! That proposed Amalgam mod sure looks sleek, like a cross between Lance's Waterway blade shape and a flipper deleted Amalgam handle with rounded pommel area. I actually quite like the way the blade profile looks there.

David Mary likes this.
  6. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I had big Chris change around a knife I sorta liked. Stuff that your asking to do would be easy for the knife makers in the forum.

David Mary likes this.
  7. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks! I played around with it quite a bit to find a profile that looked good to my eye, and eliminated the choil I would never want to use.

I can do all this myself. I just started the thread to see what ideas others might have and about which knives.

8. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Huge wharnie fan I say carry on!

David Mary likes this.
  9. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Yeah, I tend to see every knife's "inner wharnie". :D

10. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    Some choils I've done.
    [​IMG]

razorburn, David Mary and Sergeua like this.