What would you guys do?

No restocking fee applies to a defective product. You ordered a knife that works and is safe. This one is not. Contest it with your credit card company if you have to.

Return it, $20 lost is a lot better than having a $375 memento off money wasted lying around. And you could always fight the $20 restocking fee later with your credit card company, as others have mentioned.

I'd venture to say that the knife is more likely f'd up by JD Cutlery than by Reate. I have never heard or read a single knife out of Reate factory in that way.

With that being said, I'd also venture to say that the two issues - the blade being off-centered and the super-super early lockup - are likely related and caused by the same reason. Is it possible that anodizing can change the structure of the handle? Or maybe the guy did not put parts (body screws, pivot screw, or lockbar insert) back together properly.

The uneven tip bevel is a non-issue to me. I see far more worse cases with ZT, Spyderco, and Benchmade than the said knife in the OP.

I agree, whatever the cause of the issue is, I'd return the knife for a refund. That lockup is extremely unsafe.

If the knife arrived at JD's door that way, then he should have sent it back to them. If it didn't, then he created the problem, and shouldn't have sold it to you.

Not answering your email is bad service. Restocking fee for weak lockup is bad service. Pack up the knife, send it back, get a tracking number, and tell him you expect a 100% refund.

Just checked out JD's website and they're a DDR dealer, meaning they're de facto a seller of expensive defective merchandise. I'd stay far away in the future.

The lock issue alone makes it a defective knife. I expect $20 knives to work properly, a $375 knife that doesn't is well disappointing. The other things like blade centering and grind on the blade to me is cosmetic, the lock is what makes this worthy of being returned.

I have noticed * some vendors * that anodize can take apart an otherwise factory knife and re-assemble in less than stellar ways. I've gotten 3 custom anodized knives, 2 of which had to be returned due to extremely poor function. These are knives I've already had one or more perfect examples of. It was pretty disappointing to have it happen multiple times.
Will not mention who and I don't think they're on this site at all. Things happen, but it happen with high-quality, different, known-good knives, twice.
So there's that.

As far as that knife?
The blade centering could be a very easy simple turn/tuning of the pivot screw.
The crazy-early 10% lock up? Yeah, that puppy would be refunded yesterday.

Lock issue like that.......return it.

Yeah, that lockup is a problem. I've never seen a Reate with that issue. That'd go back for sure.

The tip and centering I wouldn't worry about. I'm almost always unhappy with factory bevels and the centering issue is likely a result of reassembly after anodizing and can likely be fixed with an adjustment.

Maybe some where in the middle.
I agree that the blade is thick but it is certainly a beautiful knife.
Is there any chance he could take it back and put it together correctly ?

Someone mentioned gut feel here the other day and my gut feel is that there is some chance that if one were to loosen all the screws and pivot and center that blade; perhaps even put the pivot in 180 degrees if that is an option (? ? ?) and then tighten it down a little at a time on each screw observing how it behaves (blade goes off center = don't tighten that screw until all the others are fully tight) . . . there is a chance the lock might fit correctly (I've experienced this) and the centering might be better (I've experienced this).

I'M NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THIS. You paid for a perfect knife.
Maybe he can tune it right FOR YOU and send it back to you.

That's a defective lock. I'd send it back and ask for a full return or an inspected replacement.

I have noticed * some vendors * that anodize can take apart an otherwise factory knife and re-assemble in less than stellar ways. I've gotten 3 custom anodized knives, 2 of which had to be returned due to extremely poor function. These are knives I've already had one or more perfect examples of. It was pretty disappointing to have it happen multiple times.
Will not mention who and I don't think they're on this site at all. Things happen, but it happen with high-quality, different, known-good knives, twice.
So there's that.

As far as that knife?
The blade centering could be a very easy simple turn/tuning of the pivot screw.
The crazy-early 10% lock up? Yeah, that puppy would be refunded yesterday.

Please do name them.

There should NOT be a restocking fee on a defective knife!!! If it is defective it should not be restocked in any case. Restocking fees - if used properly - are for returns due to customer capriciousness not customer complaining about a defective product. Just sayin'.

Ray

This is my thought. The lockup not engaging unless you blast it open is a red flag to me. The off-center would bug me at the price of the knife.

I believe Reate are known for being very good knives and I think it says something that Reate says return it and the shop says that "it's just these can be." I don't know JD Cutlery at all and maybe they're fine people, but from the limited perspective it seems that Reate is concerned about their image, so want you to return it so you're happy, but JD Cutlery is less concerned. Maybe JD sees these blemishes and faults regularly and is more aware of the QC issues than Reate is leading on.

Either way, a locking blade that doesn't lock is a hazard and you shouldn't want it. I'm almost surprised Reate doesn't ask for it back because of the liability of a faulty lock out in the market place. That knife needs re-worked.

Something like that shouldn’t even be sent to a customer. For that kind of money I would send it back. A 5% restocking fee is BS.

What would you guys do?

Well, first I'd stop buying Chinese knives :poop:

I agree and disagree. I would never spend that kind of of money on a non-usa made knife. My Kizer and MDFF gent came absolutely perfect.

$375 is approaching CRK territory. At that price from China I would expect it not only to be near perfect but also include some intern-esque entertainment.

I have the same knife that was ano'd by him,only in a blue/gold color, but I bought it on ebay from someone who bought it new and I wound up getting it for 279.00 It didn't have the issues mentioned here. If it did ,even at the lower price I got it for its still unacceptable.This is one of the 1st reates ive seen an issue with .

Return it for refund. There shouldn't be a restock fee for it being defective.

Back