What would you guys think about a D-I-Y Koster Knife Kit?

Which would be best for a knife kit?

• Bushcraft (1/8" thick O1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nessmuk (3/32" thick 1095)

• Kitchen knife

• Karda (any of them)

• other blade material

• -G10 for handles

• -Canvas Micarta

• -Cocobolo

• -Osage Orange

• other handle material

• Total voters
I won't presume to answer for Dan, but- If you're already filing/grinding on your kit anyway- wouldn't it be easier to remove some guard material you don't want, than to add a guard you do want? ;)

I don't trust myself grinding on hardened steel, I'd rather leave it alone. I was just stating my preference, for what it's worth.

Pics coming through fine now. Really like the designs.
Any chance of options to upgrade to higher tech steels?

Any chance of options to upgrade to higher tech steels?

I'm looking at pricing today...

The higher grade steels will take longer (time-wise) as well as cost more....but the payoff might be worth it?

I'm only doing one steel at a time though....or else it defeats the reason for doing things in bulk.

How many for this first run?.....30 of each knife?

I will start a sign-up list....so you guys can post your option preferences on each blade....but won't be taking deposits.

Dan

I gotta get back to work................:(
I want one, make that TWO... of both............. :thumbup:
I'll try to get back here later with option preference.........
~~~~~~~~~
EDIT... 20 May ..... 0935 hrs.

Back again........ :thumbup:
I don't know if this will fly or not but this may very well be my last computer access for a few days.............. due to work.

I don't see a list yet....... :( ........ so this is my best try should I not be back for a while......... ;)

I would surely like to be in on this .... for me and my nephew.
So here is what I would like if this post does "fly." :eek:

3" Bushcraft Kit Knife.......
Option 1 & Option 3

Nessmuk Knife Kit
Option 1 & Option 3
I don't care about blade steel or price on this one...... I would just be pleased to be in.. :thumbup:

Thank you for any consideration,
c pruitt

Last edited:
I want a bushcraft :) Second option (wooden block (scales?))

I don't know about the steel, since I won't have to grind it myself I could take a better one if not too expensive.

Last edited:
I'm looking at pricing today...

The higher grade steels will take longer (time-wise) as well as cost more....but the payoff might be worth it?

I'm only doing one steel at a time though....or else it defeats the reason for doing things in bulk.

How many for this first run?.....30 of each knife?

Dan

I've got a Nessmuk in O1 and a bushcraft in 3v. I REALLY, REALLY like the 3V! To me, it would be worth it. We aren't talking that much different, right?

On the number to do, maybe you could just see how many sign up. Though you might be worried about to many, I guess?

I REALLY, REALLY like the 3V!

I agree. I almost always run into some chipping when using scandi type edges for really tough work. However I've used the 3V Bushcraft from Dan and have had ZERO issues with chipping. I know a lot of people say that the Bushcraft blade should be something easy to sharpen, but IMO the durability of the 3V in that sort of grind is totally worth the extra sharpening time:thumbup:

Ok....you guys have me convinced....I've worked up the numbers...here's what I've come up with:

3" Bushcraft Kit Knife

Option 1 = blade blank only, CPM 3V, heat-treat, holes drilled & chamfered, bevels ground to 120 grit, unsharpened = $45

Option 2 = same blade as above, adds block of hardwood (TBD) and 2 brass lanyard tubes = add $15

Option 3 = same blade as above, adds 2 micarta slabs that are already profiled, predrilled and counterbored, a 5/16" corby bolt and a brass lanyard = add $25

Let's get some feedback on pricing from you guys.....and we'll take it from there (in the meantime, I'll work up pricing for the nessmuk).

Blades will be waterjet cut out of 0.100" CPM 3V, heat-treated by Paul Bos, drilled/ground by me. I will be putting on a bead-blasted/scotchbrite finish - what I do on most all my CPM steel blades already - easy to maintain.

I've worked the numbers as low as I can go and still be in the black. $70 might seem high for a kit knife to some of you....but considering that it's ready-to-glue-up as-is...and for all intents-n-purposes it's still a custom knife....I think it's a pretty good deal. ;)

Dan

Let's get some feedback on pricing from you guys.....and we'll take it from there (in the meantime, I'll work up pricing for the nessmuk).

I think it's a pretty good deal. ;)

Dan

You got that right. You are coming in 20 bucks under an Enzo in D2 for one of your comparable kits in 3V. :eek::eek: That's a smoking deal, I don't care who you are. :thumbup: Thanks for going with 3V! I don't think you can appreciate it till you've used it.

any steel suggestions for the nessmuk?

To me, not as crucial that it be 3V for the Nessmuk, I use them totally differently. But, 3V couldn't hurt, could it? :D I guess I'd go 1095 if not 3V.

I like A2 as well. The PSK I got from Tom is scaaary sharp. Seems to be a great steel.

Last edited:
:D
......I think it's a pretty good deal.

Dan

Not to be disagreeable but, I think it's a shade better than that.:thumbup::D

I'm in for a Bushcraft, at least. Not sure which option yet but I'm in.

Edit: "Option 3!" Corby bolts alone are not cheap in the quantities we would buy them in and, in addition to the material, there's the labor to scribe and cut the slabs...... It'll be fun AND cheap!

Last edited:
I don't see a list yet......... but I am in for both. :thumbup:
I'll check back in the morning. ;)
Gotta get back to work now. :(

I've been following this for days. I'd like to be in for a bushmaster, option 1 when you get the list ready. I have some stabilized cedar from a tree planted when my grandmother was born that would go well. I'll check in tomorrow.

Back