What would you guys think about a D-I-Y Koster Knife Kit?

Which would be best for a knife kit?

• Bushcraft (1/8" thick O1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nessmuk (3/32" thick 1095)

• Kitchen knife

• Karda (any of them)

• other blade material

• -G10 for handles

• -Canvas Micarta

• -Cocobolo

• -Osage Orange

• other handle material

• Total voters
I think its a great deal, You can count me in ! :D Dan Thanks for all your time and effort with this. I think it will be fun to do !:thumbup:

D2 for a later run of Nessies, when the account has recovered from the first kits.

I really do like the idea of using D2 for the nessmuks...

though I am also drawn to A2 as well - easier to sharpen, better toughness (impact resistance).

Well......... I have about 10 minutes and I have to go to work and may not be back or have computer access for a few days.........
........no list yet............ :( .... my hopes are dashed ......... :eek:

In post #'s 23, 77, 124, 126, and 138 ........ I noted I was in from the beginning, whatever these turned out to be.... no matter.......... :thumbup:

Soooooo, this is my plea........

Please, please, please ......... put me on the list when it starts......... :thumbup: :D

I would take two of each... for me & nephew.... options noted below as in post # 126....

3" Bushcraft Kit Knife
Option 1 & Option 3

Nessmuk
Option 1 & Option 3

IF this plea does not "fly" and I miss the list due to being away........:(
all I can say is......... "I tried with a valliant effort."

Have a good one and thanks...........
...... these look fantastic and the price is more than fair I might add.......... :thumbup:

Yes - I drew it that way on purpose...that is where I expect to take the grind on the finished product. :thumbup:

......A BIG reason why I like this handle design......Enough hand room even for the big guys........Dan

Dan,
I like that the handle is unique as compared to the original also.:thumbup:

Would it be a practical "tweak" for the user to take a half inch off the end of the handle (BUTT-end, of course:foot:) and drill a new hole or will the tang be too hard to drill with "normal" drills?

Or, would that completely screw the handle up? Might it still work for someone with smaller hands? Nothing against full-sized handles, I just have a few smaller ones that are adequate and are great for slipping in a pocket or fitting into a small gear bag.

Drilling hardened steel is tough.

I think you could grind some of the handle off with the right attachment though.

But I like a full size handle.:thumbup:

Still wouldn't mind a pair of kitchen knives. :thumbup:

Santoku Blade, Pairing Knife, maybe even a Gyuto Blade...

I promised I wouldn't buy another knife.

A kit is defferent though - thats a hobby. Right??

I gotta have me one of those Nessie Kits. Its just perfect.

Moff8

It wouldn't count as a knife in that particular case. Is buying a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread buying a sandwich? I think not.

Allen

I really do like the idea of using D2 for the nessmuks...

though I am also drawn to A2 as well - easier to sharpen, better toughness (impact resistance).

For what it's worth, I'd prefer A2 over D2. Honestly I'd be thrilled with 01 or 1095 but I won't complain if you want to do them in something nicer!

Dan,
I would take a couple of the bushcraft blades and a couple nessmuk blades.

Kevin

I would be in for the 70 dollar bushcraft kit. Like you said 70 bucks for a CPM 3v custom fixed blade is pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Back