What's a Emerson Rhino?

Man this is great stuff!
Thanks for the pics to drool over FEDKNIFELOVER. I admire a man who knows what he likes and does what he can to satisfy his cravings. And I appreciate the man who can share his passions with like-minded folks.
The Rhino must be a total custom and have no real connection to the production Commander. The blade has no recurve to the primary edge of the blade.
Whatever...It is a beautiful, vicious beast.
I think the Emerson Persian would be just as effective and way more in my price range. But I can enjoy driving a sport coupe and still admire and desire a Lambo cabriolet.

Man this is great stuff!
Thanks for the pics to drool over FEDKNIFELOVER. I admire a man who knows what he likes and does what he can to satisfy his cravings. And I appreciate the man who can share his passions with like-minded folks.
The Rhino must be a total custom and have no real connection to the production Commander. The blade has no recurve to the primary edge of the blade.
Whatever...It is a beautiful, vicious beast.
I think the Emerson Persian would be just as effective and way more in my price range. But I can enjoy driving a sport coupe and still admire and desire a Lambo cabriolet.

back edge of the blade reminds me of the REKAT I owned, would be excellent for trapping (arm, wrist, etc) w/reverse grip. Looks like the grip is big enough to hold on to that thing (the REKAT was a bit small).

& if it was a REKAT folder it was sadddled with perhaps the worst lock ever on a knife the rolling lock, please dont get me started on REKAT it will get ugly lol.

folks who think EKI's liner locks are "crap" should have to carry a REKAT sifu for a while lol.

I am going to give Reese Weiland some free publicity here. If you want a REKAT Hobbit blade in a linerlock or framelock, just give him a shout and he will make one for you. He can pretty much make anything.

Very informative post. I am also one who appreciates the Emerson Rhino and WOULD spend the dough (if I had it) to get one. Like Fedknifelover says, it is a simple design but very hard to make. The price goes with the rarity of how many were actually produced. Id sell all my knives for one and Id also never sell it once I have it! just as everyone has that one grail knife that seem out of reach if there is a chance to get one...Im sure there are some members here like me who'd jump at the oppurtunity

I took my Rhino apart and did some comparisons to some other Emerson knives. The frame/liner is closer to a Super Commander in size and design. The blade has an interesting feature. Ernie has actually overextended the blade upward by moving back the blade stop and moving forward the lock engagement. This gives the knife the higher upsweep and distinctive look. By doing this, the blade also fits nicely in the frame.

Ernie is a true genious. All those years as an aerospace Engineer go into play with this knife as well as his others. Very simple (very few parts) but yet complex design.

I am going to have someone make me a trainer based on the size of this knife. It fits very comfortably in the hand and has a small silhouette. With a blacked out blade and either G-10 or canvas/linen micarta, it would be almost impossible to see in low light conditions.

Perfect, simply perfect!:thumbup:

I am going to give Reese Weiland some free publicity here. If you want a REKAT Hobbit blade in a linerlock or framelock, just give him a shout and he will make one for you. He can pretty much make anything.

I second that. I went way over my minutes in the last 2 months talking to him. He's working on a footlong Emerson styled Ti fixed blade from .160" stock for me.

This was my interpretation of the Rhino on a BM 630...
l_3599b4dc84d1bb4c30cc287ecfc09b35.jpg

l_a5a6fdd852fa7a68fc021a544712c2ad.jpg

That F.T.W. on the handle is classic. What possessed you to do such a thing?:confused::D

This was my first clean mod. I did while using/dealing the crank. Thanks to the fact that took over a month to do with rudimentary tools (dremel), all the clients and ne'er do-wells saw me working on it every day. That was the best deterrent since everyone knew I had it and how fast it would open.

As to FTW, I was thinking about a maker's mark for a long time and figured "Fuck The World" was bitchin and later on "Freeman's Tactical Weapons" came together.

Here's my lighter
l_2c5f22bf3496b53fafd12b5fc0ab2219.jpg

lol, i can see $2K or so but $6K is wayyyyyyy outta line thats absurd.

i have seen a couple of them sell thru the yrs and while i dont remember exact prices it wasnt anywhere close to $6K lol & i speak of the custom specwars.

have also seen several commanders mod'ed to look like the rhino (or CQC9 isnt it??).

i suppose they are cool looking, i have no great desire for one, in fact i can think of a lotta things i would buy with a spare $6K but a rhino isnt on the list lol.

FWIW ernie made them for SEAL's to "dispatch sentries" by slashing there throats thus the blade shape.

i have an old tac knives mag that had a sidebar article about the rhinos circa '98 or so.

i dont think ernie made many of them, and also dont know if any were ever in any SEAL's hands or not, probably not.

personally i would prefer a specwar CQC6, '7, or a viper to a rhino anyday, but some folks do like'em.

Wrong, they were designed to be driven into the base of the skull, not to cut the throat. Pulling a knife towards you trying to cut a guys throat while said guy is fighting for his life can wind up bad for you too, and did for more than one service member. Which is why the Think was designed to be plunged into the base of the skull

Wrong, they were designed to be driven into the base of the skull, not to cut the throat. Pulling a knife towards you trying to cut a guys throat while said guy is fighting for his life can wind up bad for you too, and did for more than one service member. Which is why the Think was designed to be plunged into the base of the skull

Back from the dead!

Can you substantiate your claim? I would imagine there are lots of better designs for being driven into a bony area.

Back from the dead!

Can you substantiate your claim? I would imagine there are lots of better designs for being driven into a bony area.

I would tend to agree with you on that. While I don't think the Rhino would be the worst design, I would think that a straight thin spike (like an ice pick) would be better suited for such a specific task.

But then again I'm no expert, as I've never de animated anything bigger than a cockroach.

The table prices on these are crazy.. I believe somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000. Compare that to the table price of a CQC6 which is less than $800.

Back