What's a good knot for tying a rope between two trees and keeping a tight line?

I've never been able to find a good one.

I want to tie a rope between two trees and keep it as tight as possible.

On one end I can do a syberian hitch, or a tie timber hitch, no problem.

On the other end I want to keep it tight. I could do a taught line hitch, but I've experienced that to slide when you apply weight to the middle of the line

I've seen this knot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWhQfrepMFE and tried it, but when pulling on the line, it collapses slightly so the line isn't as tight anymore.

There must be a better one where you can really tighten the line?

Do a taunt line hitch, but use 3 inside loops instead of two and that will keep it sliding under load. I usually find this helps.

It's a trucker's hitch, but we used to call it a "chicken knot", though I have no idea where that came from. If you look up trucker's hitch, they'll probably say to use a slip knot for your loop(which works fine), but you can make it a overhand on a bight, since that won't move, either. Best with line that doesn't have much give, but even works well with 550 cord, since you're stretching it before tightening it down.

edit:
truckers_hitch.gif

The trucker's hitch is one of the least known--but most incredibly adaptable--knots there is. I actually was thinking a couple weeks back of the several uses this knot has, and Owen contributed one more.

If you had to teach yourself one knot to learn over the weekend, and don't already know the trucker's hitch, well...I recommend this one.

It's a trucker's hitch, but we used to call it a "chicken knot", though I have no idea where that came from. If you look up trucker's hitch, they'll probably say to use a slip knot for your loop(which works fine), but you can make it a overhand on a bight, since that won't move, either. Best with line that doesn't have much give, but even works well with 550 cord, since you're stretching it before tightening it down.

edit:
truckers_hitch.gif

This is what I use. A siberian hitch on one end and the truckers hitch on the other to keep it taut.

I learned that one as a kid hauling hay. We called it a "hat knot",obviously!--KV

This is an excellent thread. He shows a nice Trucker's Hitch modification, but I'm liking the simplicity of the one Owen showed :thumbup:

truckers hitch is essential if you ever strap a boat or canoe etc to a roof rack, you can torque it down so tight the truck moves if you shake the boat.

I use a Butterfly Knot in place of a trucker's hitch. I learned it in my rock climbing days. It is very simple and seems to untie more easily.

You are referring to using a butterfly in place of a directional figure 8 for the truckers hitch correct? for the life of me I cannot think of how to tighten a rope with just a butterfly.....

The trucker hitch is what I have used for cartopping canoes for ages. It is simple to tie and easy to adjust later if your rope stretches. I'll give the butterfly knot a try next time. It simply replaces the winch/pully knot on the trucker hitch. I use larger diameter rope for my canoe painter lines so haven't had any trouble undoing the knot, but even an old Codger can learn new tricks! By the way, while this works with paracord, it can be a beyotch to untie. And it torqued too tight, you can actually cut the cord in the knot.

I'd use a bowline one end and a clove hitch the other. adjust the clove hitch until taut enough and then tie off the clove hitch ends to add a reef knot.

The adjustable grip hitch is what you need. Very useful and reliable knot.
KM_AdjustableGripHitch.jpg

That's what I use for a really taut line :) For big efficiency, make it a slippie though, by finishing it with a loop end

(PS - didn't realize the trucker's hitch was an unfamiliar knot - for a while it was about the only knot I knew past tying my shoes :D)

Truckers hitch is what I use. My friend and I tried a bow drill set and tied a trucker's hitch on the bow to give the paracord tension. The knot stayed in place for over a year and never lost it's tension. I use an overhand on a bight like OwenM said.

Back