What's a good knot for tying a rope between two trees and keeping a tight line?

Thanks for the info. Looks like a stronger variation on the taut line hitch.

My pleasure. It's the best variation i've ever experienced. I assume that your concern is to set a tarp between two trees, if yes you can use this knot with confidence, the rope will keep his tension even under a strong wind.

A trucker's hitch always works well for me.

Works well for me too but it's rope length consuming. When i've to keep safe a load, on my truck for instance, then the trucker's hitch is the best i know. That's probably why it got this name.

dantzk.

I would also use the Truckers Hitch. The loop I make is generally a figure eight.... or maybe I might even take an extra turn.

Properly tied off, the Truckers Hitch has proven itself over the years as a very useful and reliable knot.

I have also used the Midshipmans knot (tautline hitch) for jobs like tent-stays, and it works well. But I consider the Truckers Hitch to be more dependable if it is important that the line stays tight. A tautlne hitch can be bumped or it may slip in some circumstances, but a well-cinched Truckers Hitch is going to stay tied as you left it. That's my experience anyway.

The trucker's hitch is also a great knot with a variety of ropes. As you all know, a knot that holds great with manila rope may not hold well with poly or nylon. And, as you also know, not all knots hold when wet.

The trucker's hitch works with every realistic rope I've got (and like you I have a LOT of different ropes), and it holds when wet, windy, and moving at high speed. That's a lot to ask of any knot, but the trucker's hitch delivers.

I have not used this knot(truckers hitch) but it looks very useful. Something I use when I need to stretch rope very taught under load is a bowline looped around first tree, a small bowline loop just short of second tree, carabiner snapped in loop, pass rope around tree and through carabiner. By pulling tag end, I can get a VERY tight rope, pass back around tree and secure to carabiner.
I like the bowline as it never slips but remains pretty easy to untie. Just another option.
Bill

For the application described, it's often very hard to add tension to a bowline. The trucker's hitch lets you continually tighten the knot as slack develops without having to apply any effort. Sometimes, with a bowline, you need to retighten if the rope stretches, and that can (if the rope is already fairly taut) be harder by far than with a hitch.

Watchful,
I understand and agree. I am planning to work with this "new to me knot". It is hard to illustrate what I mean in words but the tension does not come from the knot but from the rope running through the 'biner. I have used this to create zip lines for moving relatively heavy items(1-300 lbs) and get excellent tension but it is not a solve all for every use.

It is hard to illustrate what I mean in words but the tension does not come from the knot but from the rope running through the 'biner.

I've been a bit intrigued by your first post but i've, may be, understood. In fact it works like a trucker's hitch. You add a carabiner to the loop which is the base of the trucker's hitch. Right? It works like a hoist.

dantzk.

Yeah, that'll especially work well with bigger rope and webbing(like for a slackline). The 'biner would put less friction on the rope-rope on rope or webbing makes for a lot of wear, which is one reason 'biners get used between ropes and anchors for climbing. I think it's the same concept, tensioning by creating a pulley, just on a larger scale than what we'd normally use a trucker's hitch for.

Yeah, that'll especially work well with bigger rope and webbing(like for a slackline). The 'biner would put less friction on the rope-rope on rope or webbing makes for a lot of wear, which is one reason 'biners get used between ropes and anchors for climbing. I think it's the same concept, tensioning by creating a pulley, just on a larger scale than what we'd normally use a trucker's hitch for.

Exactly my point. The Munter mule combination uses this principle (less friction) for rappeling. Combination is by the way the right word, the trucker's hitch is more a combination than a knot if by knot we hear a lock. When i use a trucker's hitch i lock it with the adjustable grip hitch i mentionned in my first post.

dantzk.

When i use a trucker's hitch i lock it with the adjustable grip hitch i mentionned in my first post.
Might have to try that. Seems like it'd be harder to tie, but a LOT easier to untie than a couple of half hitches jerked tight. Should be able to remember it, since it's kind of like a stopper knot, only in reverse-for the stopper I go around both sides of the rope, and then just one on the last time around. If I'm picturing it right...

OwenM,

Right picture, not hard to remember, not so hard to tie only in a hand with a bit of use. This knot can take a huge tension without sliding. There are few knots which can be said perfect, that's one of them.

Edit: You go around ONE side of the rope (3 or 4 times is usually enough) and then an half hitch around the two sides of the rope. Best is to look at the drawing in my first post.

dantzk.

Last edited:
I think that is exactly what I am doing, just my way is not quite as versatile and does require having a 'biner. More of a heavy duty but not so handy way to place high tension on the rope. I am guilty for learning a few knots and adapting them to my situation. Comes from not enough time in the field to try new things.

I have used my method to lift and move logs that could not be moved by hand over uneven ground. Just takes a little time to set it up and a hand ratchet for the lifting.

Bill

Truckers hitch, 2 to 1 mecahical advantage for one side and a loop around the opposite tree with a couple 1/2 hitches in it.

The adjustable grip hitch is what you need. Very useful and reliable knot.

KM_AdjustableGripHitch.jpg

This drawing comes from this excellent site:http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Index.htm

dantzk.

I use that for low tension applications like guy line.

For main lines I create a pulley with knots like the trucker knot as described. For the pulley it is also easier/better to have some carabiner/steel ring that will have lot less friction that cord.

Another vote for the Trucker's Hitch. But I tie it with a bowline on a bight for the pulley eye. My dad always called it a Flying Dutchman knot. The slipknot and butterfly knots for the pulley also work fine. Either way, it uses alot of line.

Might have to try that. Seems like it'd be harder to tie, but a LOT easier to untie than a couple of half hitches jerked tight. Should be able to remember it, since it's kind of like a stopper knot, only in reverse-for the stopper I go around both sides of the rope, and then just one on the last time around. If I'm picturing it right...

OwenM,

Right picture, not hard to remember, not so hard to tie only in a hand with a bit of use. This knot can take a huge tension without sliding. There are few knots which can be said perfect, that's one of them.

Edit: You go around ONE side of the rope (3 or 4 times is usually enough) and then an half hitch around the two sides of the rope. Best is to look at the drawing in my first post.

dantzk.

Not sure if this will help you remember, but it's like tying a timber hitch, then putting your half hitch around both bits of cord, rather than the spar.

Or, make an overhand knot around the spar, add a few more turns, then make a half hitch over both cords.

You can leave it slipped or use a toggle for easy untying.

Even easier was following the diagram, but bringing that end at the top back through like a slip knot. It can't move when tightened, but is easier to untie. I've only tried this with paracord, but will probably play with it on the 6mm cord I carry around sometimes.

You will need to finish with a pinch, similar to a knot replacement tool sold for para-cord in outdoor stores.

Camping:

After the Siberian hitch on one end add a butterfly knot close to the other end, bring the tag end around the tree back towards the butterfly knot, slip it through the butterfly's loop and back towards the tree for a cinching (trucker hitch style).

Continue with that tag end with a 360 degree wrap around the tree. Go over the double lines and swing back in front of the tree, crossing over the single line and up to pin the line with the double line to the side of the tree -- forcing in a little ways, pinching it just like using the knot eliminator.

Last edited:
Back